LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

alternatives to lexus ls 460 oem control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 12:20 PM
cjuhan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default alternatives to lexus ls 460 oem control arms?

After much research had my shop install just 1 set of Moog lower control arms on my 2008 LS - ride was horrible !!!!!!

Is there anyone with an LS that has found an acceptable non oem vendor for suspension parts?

I've seen all the unhappy posts about people with this suspension issue for 2007-2010 models
Old 06-17-18, 07:55 PM
Iesous7
Driver School Candidate

Yes. You can get the after market parts from Rock Auto. I’ve had my control arms, all 8 replaced in one swoop. The parts cost about $538 and I’ve paid $500 in labor costs to have them installed. Caution with aftermarket parts: purchase from a reputable company. Sometimes inexpensive is not the way to go, especially if you’re going either sale it or keep it.
Old 06-18-18, 10:04 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm wondering why changing lower control arms made the ride horrible. Is the car wandering all over the place now? If so then you may need an alignment
The following users liked this post:
02gita (06-18-18)
Old 06-25-18, 08:34 AM
cjuhan
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for response!!!

My mechanic pulled the Moog arms off and we compared them to the OEM arms($345@) that I had them re-install on my car.
Moog arms appeared to made of steel vs OEM aluminum and possibly the bushing material wasn't exactly the composition.
Selected Moog after looking at Dorman, Movetech, others that I couldn't find any reviews on.

Car ride became overly firm and jittery with the Moog arms. The ride changed substantially installing OEM arms - not an alignment issue.

I've now spent $1,000 replacing 2 control arms and have 6 more than "may" need attention in the near future(potential for another $3k expense).

My car has only 82K miles - my last LS I kept 14 years with 178K miles. Never had a suspension issue(or melting plastic interior); but this isn't my old Lexus.

2007-2009 LS460 models have had substantial issues with control arm(see all the posts!). Lexus redesigned the LS suspension/arms beginning in 2010.

My question - which seems to have morphed into a discussion on air suspension - has anyone replaced their control arms with non oem control arm(s) and had a good long term experience. If so what brand did they purchase.

Thank you all - have been using this forum the last 10 years and gathered much useful info !!!!!!

Chuck
Old 06-25-18, 11:45 AM
02gita
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MOOG is the aftermarket company i have picked for all my lexus vehicles, if not OEM. I am more willing to bet there is something else wrong with your other suspension pieces. if you feel that badly about the MOOGS, then why bother with any other aftermarket company. simply buy OEM
cjuhan (06-27-18)
Old 03-10-19, 11:52 PM
Ls460Matt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02gita
MOOG is the aftermarket company i have picked for all my lexus vehicles, if not OEM. I am more willing to bet there is something else wrong with your other suspension pieces. if you feel that badly about the MOOGS, then why bother with any other aftermarket company. simply buy OEM
It sounds like he’s trying to find a cheaper alternative to OEM. He tried MOOG, didn’t work. Wondering if there is some who used another aftermarket brand with great results. I have the same question. No one seems to have a clear cut answer on this. It’s crazy.
Old 03-11-19, 08:33 AM
Outofspec
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm the new owner of a 2007 LS460, and I'll be replacing my control arms soon. I've been following these suspension posts with great interest for over 5 months, and I agree, it's a little frustrating that we can't reach a consensus on a superior aftermarket arm. I think the challenge is that unless you do it yourself, you may not even know what brand arm was installed by your mechanic. Additionally, I've seen a lot of posts with people claiming the arms they put in were defective, because of early failure, but that may have been a function of incorrect installation. As has been previously stated, the control arms need to be preloaded into normal ride position before being tightened, to prevent over torque of the bushings during suspension articulation.
A cursory search on RockAuto showed 6 manufactures offered for control arms. Ultra Power and Moog are the "Economy" offering, with Mevotech, ACDelco, and Beck Arnley, in the "Daily Driver" category. I've read in old posts some good feedback on Mevotech, and it looks like they offer all of the arms, with a limited lifetime warranty. Unless some other information is offered, I'll be trying Mevotech.
The following 2 users liked this post by Outofspec:
Mastiffman (05-01-22), pumagaju (03-11-19)
Old 03-11-19, 10:41 AM
cjuhan
Driver School Candidate

I am the originator of this post and now have "extensive" experience with Lexus control arm replacement(s).
After all 8 control arms failed(bushings) 82K miles- I have had them replaced.
After removing Moog parts & I had shop do all 4 lower control arm with Lexus OEM parts @ $300 each(est) + labor - $1,600.
1 month later I replaced the 4 upper control arms with Lexus OEM I found from OEM parts distributors on Ebay. 4 @ $250 each + labor - $1,300.
When installing upper arms my mechanic found that 1 of the new lower Lexus OEM upper parts had failed in 1 month !!!! Good news is that my mechanic replaced the part under warranty.
See TSB on control arms from Lexus - the OEM bushing material is substandard and fails - good news is my mechanic has a 36 month warranty for parts and labor that he gives me. He's been seeing me a lot !!!
If you can DIY the job then you will definitely save money - if ride quality sucks or new cheap parts fail - then you will be redoing your work. I think my total labor was about 14 hours for the 8 arms!!! Maybe you can do it much faster.
I never found anyone that could provide long term(12 months) experience with non OEM parts.
If I had it to do over I probably would have sold this car as it seems to be becoming a fixture at the shop. Sad because I loved my prior LS400 & I enjoy this car.
NotFasty (05-22-19)
Old 03-11-19, 01:51 PM
Ls460Matt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cjuhan
I am the originator of this post and now have "extensive" experience with Lexus control arm replacement(s).
After all 8 control arms failed(bushings) 82K miles- I have had them replaced.
After removing Moog parts & I had shop do all 4 lower control arm with Lexus OEM parts @ $300 each(est) + labor - $1,600.
1 month later I replaced the 4 upper control arms with Lexus OEM I found from OEM parts distributors on Ebay. 4 @ $250 each + labor - $1,300.
When installing upper arms my mechanic found that 1 of the new lower Lexus OEM upper parts had failed in 1 month !!!! Good news is that my mechanic replaced the part under warranty.
See TSB on control arms from Lexus - the OEM bushing material is substandard and fails - good news is my mechanic has a 36 month warranty for parts and labor that he gives me. He's been seeing me a lot !!!
If you can DIY the job then you will definitely save money - if ride quality sucks or new cheap parts fail - then you will be redoing your work. I think my total labor was about 14 hours for the 8 arms!!! Maybe you can do it much faster.
I never found anyone that could provide long term(12 months) experience with non OEM parts.
If I had it to do over I probably would have sold this car as it seems to be becoming a fixture at the shop. Sad because I loved my prior LS400 & I enjoy this car.
Thank you for all the wonderful input. It’s incredibly helpful. Mine is 2007 with 75,000 miles and the upper control arm bushings are shot. I’ve decided on buying only OEM control arms based on all things considered. Based on finances buying 1 at a time on eBay. Already purchased one for $169.99 with free shipping. The other 3 will total close to $850. My mechanic only charges $60 per hour so it’s not too bad.

I’m curious. Did your mechanic see anything else needing replacement in your suspension? Sway bars/links perhaps?

Also, I’m hearing a clicking noise come out of the left/front part of the car, wondering if it sounds familiar to your situation? Also, the alignments I get only last a week. I’d like to take care of as many things as I can so I don’t have to worry about my suspension for another 75,000 miles (hopefully). 🙏
Old 03-11-19, 06:33 PM
Ls460Matt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FunFact
If you're going to be buying the on eBay, remember that they have 15-20% off sales every two months or so. That can save you hundreds of dollars.
👍👍👍👍👍👍. Thank you!!!
Old 05-21-19, 05:05 PM
gmounger
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Control Arm Replacement

I had all 8 control arms replaced MOOG lifetime warranty controls arms installed today at Southwest Alignment on Richmond in Houston. Mechanic name Lee. Appears to be excellent job. LS460 with 130K. Very pleased.
Old 05-21-19, 05:54 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gmounger
I had all 8 control arms replaced MOOG lifetime warranty controls arms installed today at Southwest Alignment on Richmond in Houston. Mechanic name Lee. Appears to be excellent job. LS460 with 130K. Very pleased.
Can you let me know how the car feels after install?
Mjlefoley (05-11-22)
Old 05-21-19, 05:55 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gmounger
What was your labor cost?
Old 08-25-19, 10:47 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts

I hear folks saying that Lexus redesigned some of the suspension components for 2010+ models but in the aftermarket arena, control arms carry the same part umber from 2007-2012. Does this mean that people who are replacing their control arms in the 2010-2012 are not getting a re-designed part from an aftermarket supplier? Or does it mean that all the aftermarket arms are updated?
AlexFawly (01-29-21)
Old 02-23-21, 02:27 AM
macLexy55
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry guys, I don't want to throw a spanner (no pun intended ) in the works.

I have had an issue with my control arms and bushes for a few weeks now. After considerable research and taking to what I know as reliable car shops, not the dealership, I have had mixed advice on what requires to be done. Options I have been given is 1. replace all 8 control arms along with bushes and balljoints, and have the wheel alignment done afterwards, along with all brake discs skimmed. 2. Replace all 10 bushes only and have wheel alignment done afterwards. I had three car shops check my car thoroughly to get this diagnoses. The shop that said bushes only said my control arms are not damaged and therefore not an issue. Obviously I want to believe these guys from a cost point of view, and of course their honesty, but at the end of the day I just need to know that I am getting the right advice to get the work done required to keep myself and passengers safe.

what do you think chaps 🤔 option 1 or 2 ?

Last edited by macLexy55; 02-23-21 at 02:29 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: alternatives to lexus ls 460 oem control arms?