LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Recommendations on new struts

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 05:23 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Recommendations on new struts

i was checking Rockauto for struts and noticed the KYB’’s are listed as increased handling and performance. Does anyone have experience with these and can comment on if there is any improvement.

My new LS has 160k miles on it and I have way to much bounce and float. I am coming from an IS250, so I am use to more of a road feel and performance. I know the LS won’t ever feel as nimble, but wouldn’t mind a former ride.

Are the KYB’s worth it, or should I just pick up a set of struts from a local parts store or eBay/Amazon?

Old 05-10-18, 06:31 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I used an off brand from auto parts warehouse (.com)

Paid 150 dollars FOR ALL FOUR. They have performed flawlessly and have a lifetime warranty. Flame suit on. I have over a year of use on them and about 20k miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadfrog:
diamente (05-21-18), Gjohnson (05-11-18)
Old 05-10-18, 07:15 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

OEM or you will miss your comfy ride.
Old 05-10-18, 08:42 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
Well, I picked the car up with 159k miles, so I really don’t know what the OEM ride is like. Lol
Originally Posted by roadfrog
I used an off brand from auto parts warehouse (.com)

Paid 150 dollars FOR ALL FOUR. They have performed flawlessly and have a lifetime warranty. Flame suit on. I have over a year of use on them and about 20k miles.
So, it sounds like you would definitely recommend these units.
Old 05-10-18, 10:36 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

You clearly didn't see my post above, lol.

So, it sounds like you would definitely recommend these units.
Yes, I would. I believe a couple of other members here installed them as well and liked them. Very "comfy ride"
Old 05-11-18, 09:07 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

@roadfrog You've talked me into it. I'm picking up a full set. Hopefully I will have them on by this time next week.
Old 05-11-18, 09:37 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
@roadfrog You've talked me into it. I'm picking up a full set. Hopefully I will have them on by this time next week.
You won't be disappointed. Make sure you follow up with a report!
Old 05-12-18, 06:03 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

My car came with a recently replaced left side KYB front strut so when I changed the control arms I just bought another one on Amazon for $100 to put on the right side.
Old 05-12-18, 11:52 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Just be aware that if you're not doing it yourself a shop will charge you an arm and a leg for the labor. When I was calling around to have my coilovers installed I got quotes between $750-900.
Old 05-12-18, 03:12 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

There are KYB "gas a just" on Rockauto for 1/2 off close out price, I replaced my fronts with KYBs and the 19 inch wheel set up now feels like the 18 inch wheels I had on previously. They are very comfortable. The oem shock which are KYBs were wearing but not worn, no leaks, rust etc. They were still very hard to compress down when I had them out of the spring so I though I was wasting money changing them. The new tech KYBs just react MUCH faster over bumps. The car does not dive forward as much or feel floaty on the highway. I HIGHLY recommend them.
Btw I took out the front struts myself and had a shop rebuild it with new strut mounts for me.I paid $75 (friends and family prices)
If you can get someone to do the same for under $100 then I would consider that a good price. I did not have the best luck with the Spring compressor I rented. The LS460 spring is pretty long to compress down and it seemed a little dangerous.
Old 05-12-18, 06:54 PM
davedudu
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
There are KYB "gas a just" on Rockauto for 1/2 off close out price, I replaced my fronts with KYBs and the 19 inch wheel set up now feels like the 18 inch wheels I had on previously. They are very comfortable. The oem shock which are KYBs were wearing but not worn, no leaks, rust etc. They were still very hard to compress down when I had them out of the spring so I though I was wasting money changing them. The new tech KYBs just react MUCH faster over bumps. The car does not dive forward as much or feel floaty on the highway. I HIGHLY recommend them.
Btw I took out the front struts myself and had a shop rebuild it with new strut mounts for me.I paid $75 (friends and family prices)
If you can get someone to do the same for under $100 then I would consider that a good price. I did not have the best luck with the Spring compressor I rented. The LS460 spring is pretty long to compress down and it seemed a little dangerous.
Thank you for this heads up. My struts from Rockauto were $236.58 shipped.
Old 05-12-18, 07:41 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Just be aware that if you're not doing it yourself a shop will charge you an arm and a leg for the labor. When I was calling around to have my coilovers installed I got quotes between $750-900.
LOL. THAT is ridiculous. I paid that and they replaced ALL 8 control arms, shocks , end links, wheel alignment and two ball joints. AND that was in Canadian Dollars! It doesn't take 7-8 hours to replace 4 shocks.
Old 05-13-18, 03:18 AM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

I recently ordered some cheap knock off quick struts for the front on ebay for 170 shipped. Yesterday I got the old one off relatively easy--first time ever doing any suspension work.
I was even snapping some pics for a potential writeup. But the new one would not line up properly and I couldn't get the bottom bolt through both sides and have the upper strut mounts lined up. Very frustrating. Tried every which way. The angle was just a bit off and I could get the bolt in only one side. Removed sway bar end link which was hard to get back in. Had a little trolley jack under the rotor and of course a coathanger that kept falling off, with the jack going up and down, but frequently everything was hanging by the brake line.

After trying to install the new one for hours I grabbed the old strut assembly and it fit right in, which at the time felt like a minor miracle. Eventually got the sway bar endlink back in and everything tightened down and back to normal. So no harm done.

Of course later on, after everythings put together, I read you can adjust the angle of the strut by mounting it in the upper mounts and turning the bottom bolt holes with a large screwdriver. But there was not a lot of clearance to do that even if I wanted to. Maybe because I only jacked up the one corner. Who knows. I am going to look into having these struts installed. Or I might just get back in there next weekend. Toyota dealership wanted 1100.00 incl parts for just fronts. What part of Canada is your shop in roadfrog?
Old 05-13-18, 11:56 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

The LS460 OEM shocks are made by KYB.
Old 05-13-18, 05:05 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
I recently ordered some cheap knock off quick struts for the front on ebay for 170 shipped. Yesterday I got the old one off relatively easy--first time ever doing any suspension work.
I was even snapping some pics for a potential writeup. But the new one would not line up properly and I couldn't get the bottom bolt through both sides and have the upper strut mounts lined up. Very frustrating. Tried every which way. The angle was just a bit off and I could get the bolt in only one side. Removed sway bar end link which was hard to get back in. Had a little trolley jack under the rotor and of course a coathanger that kept falling off, with the jack going up and down, but frequently everything was hanging by the brake line.

After trying to install the new one for hours I grabbed the old strut assembly and it fit right in, which at the time felt like a minor miracle. Eventually got the sway bar endlink back in and everything tightened down and back to normal. So no harm done.

Of course later on, after everythings put together, I read you can adjust the angle of the strut by mounting it in the upper mounts and turning the bottom bolt holes with a large screwdriver. But there was not a lot of clearance to do that even if I wanted to. Maybe because I only jacked up the one corner. Who knows. I am going to look into having these struts installed. Or I might just get back in there next weekend. Toyota dealership wanted 1100.00 incl parts for just fronts. What part of Canada is your shop in roadfrog?
I don't remember the details because I did this install about 6 months ago but give it another go, save the $$$.

Quick Reply: Recommendations on new struts