LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thoughts on purchasing 2014 LS460.. Salvaged

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-18, 02:44 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Thoughts on purchasing 2014 LS460.. Salvaged

Hi CL,

I have been looking at the LS's for awhile along with the 750li's, recently purchased the 750li and 3 months into owning it I got T boned and the car is totaled. Thank God, I just dropped off my kids at school, and I am ok, just sore and some scratches...

Now that the Insurance company gave me a check, I am back to shopping. Now I am also in a little better place financially, and am looking at the ls460's I ran across a 2014 LS460, white/tan, with 16k miles on it. It was unfortunately a casualty of the heavy rains a couple years ago and got flooded when the Lake Orville Damn broke. I have seen the damage report and drove the car and it ran/drove/all functioning electronics, and is in my price range. Now my question is, it is the same price as another one with 55k miles not salvage title.... I originally wanted the L model as I wanted to factory airbags to get the controller and drop it more on 22's, but I am looking at just adding bags, or coilovers or maybe just springs to a non L....

What are your thoughts and opinions.... 16k miles is very little, my independent mechanic checked it all out as well and all passed his tests.., its about 32k.... vs 34k with 55k miles...

Help, please.....

Oh yeah, not looking at the 750li's, way to many issues with that thing turbos and all the valve stem issues.... NO THANKS... SO back to the Lexus I come!!
Old 05-07-18, 03:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Personally I would never buy a flood car...you just never know when issues coming from water damage will pop up.

I'd buy the one with 55k and no flood damage without hesitation over that one.
Old 05-07-18, 04:23 PM
RussLS460
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Best case scenario, you wont have any mechanical issues. But, you will have a really hard time selling it later unless you just want to give it away. I would never buy any salvaged title car.
Old 05-07-18, 04:38 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Personally I would never buy a flood car...you just never know when issues coming from water damage will pop up.

I'd buy the one with 55k and no flood damage without hesitation over that one.
NO MATTER WHAT, I won't even consider water soaked car. No way of telling what is cooking behind panels even if car runs fine at the moment.. 740Li is always on the
do not buy list. It is worse than older 7-series. We love our two BMWs latest of E-series ones.
Old 05-07-18, 05:01 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

No way in hell I'd buy a flood car. Even if things work now, you can be sure that corrosion is ongoing and you'll more than likely have to deal with weird electrical gremlins as time goes on.

A coworker bought a flooded Taurus once, and after spending way too much money fixing things, sold it at a huge loss.
Old 05-07-18, 06:02 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Water damage is 'more damaging' than mechanical damage. I would rather buy a car that was involved in an accident than a flooded one. One the line you will have issues with electronics, corrosion etc.
Old 05-07-18, 06:16 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Flood cars are tricky! Some you can find fresh water floods that just reached the carpets, those cars if you can find them very cheap are worth it. If the water was salt water flood run away because that type of damage doesnt pop up right away and slowly corrodes your electricals. When you inspect flood cars you can usually see water lines inside the dash of where the water level max reached.

Too me a salvage car is worth half the price of what a clean title car is, for me to be interested in or if the damage was from a light rear end collision. You can yourself buy a damaged car off copart or iaai and repair it yourself and save yourself money vs buying it from a dealer. Everything has its valued price.
Old 05-07-18, 06:43 PM
Blkgto
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not seeing the value proposition for that kind of title.....imho run.....
Old 05-07-18, 07:32 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

As others mentioned - the flooded cars can be tricky. There doesn’t seem to be enough incentive ($ -wise) to buy it. I’ve purchased my ‘08 with salvage title (last January - paid $13k for it; front end collision but no airbag deployed). Almost year and a half and 20k miles later, the car is running great. Only thing I had to do (other than oil changes - diy) have been a new battery and replace one oxygen sensor. For $13k, the downside was minimal and if we can get 50k+ of relatively trouble free miles, even if I have to have it towed to the junkyard, I won’t feel bad about the depreciation.
Old 05-08-18, 09:10 AM
whytry
Advanced

Thanks for all the input guys!! I saw the pictures from that auction website, and can see where the water line was. It didn’t get about 1/2 up tranny tunnel... It’s fresh water from rain not salt water that I could tell as it was from a damn that broke....

Ive personally never owned a salvaged car but 16k miles and cheaper caught my eye and from the consensus here just run at the current pricing. Would you think about it more at like 28k? Or still run. I was thinking about offering 28k range before I read all these posts.

Also I did see all the receipts for new interior parts too...

keep the thoughts coming guys I really appreciate it!
Old 05-08-18, 09:20 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Personally I agree with the rest. Stay away from a salvage car. Unless it's fully checked out 100% and you know it's good. And you also remember the fact that the value of the car is a lot less. So if you plan on holding onto it for 10+ years and driving it into the ground that is one thing. If your a 2-3 year old owner and want to resell it, you will be lucky if you can get 50% of market value.

Flood damage is a bad thing. You never know what will show up later, Like rust under the car, or other problems. Even at a 75% of retail, I would stay far away.

Good luck on your choice and welcome to the club !

Last edited by DavidinCT; 05-08-18 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-08-18, 10:11 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

It would have to be under $20k for me to even consider it. But I wouldn't buy a flood car especially for that price. Thats outrageous.
Old 05-08-18, 10:21 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Personally I agree with the rest. Stay away from a salvage car. Unless it's fully checked out 100% and you know it's good. And you also remember the fact that the value of the car is a lot less. So if you plan on holding onto it for 10+ years and driving it into the ground that is one thing. If your a 2-3 year old owner and want to resell it, you will be lucky if you can get 50% of market value.

Flood damage is a bad thing. You never know what will show up later, Like rust under the car, or other problems. Even at a 75% of retail, I would stay far away.

Good luck on your choice and welcome to the club !
Fully checked out 100% = only way to do this is taking the whole car apart, LOL!
Old 05-08-18, 04:21 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
It would have to be under $20k for me to even consider it. But I wouldn't buy a flood car especially for that price. Thats outrageous.
^^ My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't necessarily shy away from a flood car, but it has to be one heck of a bargain.

Who is selling the car? I would offer the seller $12K and walk away from any counter offer.
Old 05-14-18, 09:37 PM
whytry
Advanced

Thanks for all the input everybody!! I passed on this one and will be making my officially LS intro as soon as my ride shows up!!!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on purchasing 2014 LS460.. Salvaged