LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

$5000 for upper & Lower Arm Bushings?i

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 07:44 AM
Blindsided
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $5000 for upper & Lower Arm Bushings?i

I’m in for the power steering to be repaired and my SM reports to me both my upper and lower arm bushings needs to be replaced. 10 hours labor at $150 per. I bought this car a year ago with 130K, hoping it would go 250k without a lot of money. Should I just plan on keeping a box of tampons in the glovebox and expect it to be shoved up my moon when I take it to the sign that says “Lexus?” Any advice would be appreciated as I am new to owning a Lexus and to the Forum. Thanks

Last edited by Blindsided; 04-28-18 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-28-18, 08:02 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

STAY AWAY FROM THE DEALERSHIP! Your car is well out of warranty and it sounds like you want to put a lot of miles on it without having to spend much in repairs/maintenance so DIY/Indy is what you want to be doing or at least take it to a Toyota dealership.

You can replace them for less then $1000 if you go aftermarket/DIY or independent mechanic. More people will likely steer you where to go but if you have a RWD you can get aftermarket suspension parts, especially control arms pretty cheap and they are not the hardest things to do yourself from what I have seen. Unfortunately Lexus did not properly design the suspension of this car to last/be durable and dealerships absolutely gouge you for parts/labor.
Old 04-28-18, 08:26 AM
Blindsided
Driver School Candidate

UDel...the SM at Lexus was telling me that all 8 arms needed to be replaced. Would you recommend replacing all 8 arms and were you thinking this could be done for a grand by an independent mechanic? Thanks for your time.
Old 04-28-18, 08:49 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Blindsided
UDel...the SM at Lexus was telling me that all 8 arms needed to be replaced. Would you recommend replacing all 8 arms and were you thinking this could be done for a grand by an independent mechanic? Thanks for your time.
I would definitely take it to an indy shop and only tell them to inspect all the control arms. Ask this forum for a recommended independent shop near you. You'll likely get a recommendation for a good shop that will not rip you off. I would be surprised if ALL of them actually need to be replaced at once.
Old 04-28-18, 08:51 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

Unless the control arms are cracked or damaged, all you need to do is replace the bushings.
The following users liked this post:
ALK (04-28-18)
Old 04-28-18, 08:52 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

here you go.
​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tures-etc.html

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ue-spec-s.html

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9649204

​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/Control-Arm...UAAOSwa8dZyRzd
https://www.1aauto.com/lexus-ls460-c...xoCvdwQAvD_BwE
The following users liked this post:
Blindsided (04-28-18)
Old 04-28-18, 08:52 AM
glenns
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy all the parts cheap on Rock Auto, then find a good mechanic, it is bolt on stuff, not very difficult. I would think with an alignment you can be all done for around $1500 or less.
Old 04-28-18, 10:06 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

it is bolt on stuff, not very difficult
Most mechanics would disagree with you. It isn't the worst job, but it isn't like the old days.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadfrog:
97-SC300 (04-28-18), sha4000 (04-28-18)
Old 04-28-18, 01:42 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I think you can buy them in pairs and it might save you money doing it that way, I would just get all 8 for the best deal you can and then get a second opinion maybe from a Indy/Toyota dealership of all of the components are bad, it is probably cheaper just to do them all at once but if only 2 are really bad it may be premature. Are they making noise when you go over bumps? Do you have a RWD LS or AWD? RWD is what has all the aftermarket support for upper control arms. If AWD you may just want to get the bushings and then have someone replace the bushings because that is what actually fails. You have to ask around for costs, I doubt all the parts and labor could be a grand but probably just the labor could be a grand or less, look into a DIY to save a lot more money, if you plan on keeping it to 250K you are likely going to have to do this again, will save a lot of money to learn how to do it yourself. You definitely want to look around for the best deals and research before you buy, there is no need to immediately rush to replace those pieces, ball joints or shocks are a different story.
Old 04-28-18, 04:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I agree with UDel, never take the car to the dealership again. The dealership will bleed you dry.

I would take it to a trusted independent shop and get their thoughts on the control arms.
Old 04-28-18, 05:19 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

$1500 is more like it if you can find anyone to do that. I disagree with the notion its DIY. Maybe the tops if your capable of pulling the struts out. The bottoms can be a bear to do. I did them myself with a lift and used to be a mechanic and they still were pretty difficult. I also agree that driving a car into a dealership for service is insane if your out of warranty.
Old 04-28-18, 07:47 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Unless the control arms are cracked or damaged, all you need to do is replace the bushings.
This has been discussed many times. You're right, they CAN... but it makes little sense to do so. The cost of just the bushings, then paying to have the arm removed, the bushing pressed out, new bushing pressed in, and then the arm being reinstalled, is about the same price/cost as replacing ALL of the arms, ball joints, and end links if you purchase them from sites such as Rock Auto. I paid about 700 dollars for ALL 8 control arms, end links, and ball joints

Last edited by roadfrog; 04-28-18 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-28-18, 08:10 PM
Blindsided
Driver School Candidate

What concerns me about buying parts from Ebay and some of the companies listed, am I getting a part I can trust when i’m gliding my LS 460L down I75 to Naples or to Atlanta at 80mph? Also, how does one go about finding a good INDY Lexus mechanic? My mechanic is pretty good but he wasn’t able to diagnose my latest problem and told me to take it to the dealer so I think I need another Indy name or two in zip code 34655.
Old 04-28-18, 08:21 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

What concerns me about buying parts from Ebay and some of the companies listed, am I getting a part I can trust when i’m gliding my LS 460L down I75 to Naples or to Atlanta at 80mph? Also, how does one go about finding a good INDY Lexus mechanic? My mechanic is pretty good but he wasn’t able to diagnose my latest problem and told me to take it to the dealer so I think I need another Indy name or two in zip code 34655.
Any decent Indy shop should be able to put in control arms, I don't think there is anything too unique with the LS460 aside from having more of them then normal and that they were not designed properly to last.
Old 04-29-18, 04:56 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
STAY AWAY FROM THE DEALERSHIP!
You need to check your grammar. What I think he meant to write was:

STAY AWAY FROM THE STEALERSHIP! 😁

Quick Reply: $5000 for upper & Lower Arm Bushings?i