LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rare find - But not sure if it's the one for me

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18, 09:38 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Hmm, very interesting. If memory serves me, I thought heated rear seats was common but not ventilated/cooled rear seats. Even our old LS 430 non-UL had heated rear seats and had the dials in the rear armrest. Same for a 2011 LS 460L I had test driven.
Yup, same experience as me.
Old 04-26-18, 10:39 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Michele:

If you get the CPO car, you can get an extension to the L-CPO warranty of up to 5 years (on top of the CPO warranty) with unlimited mileage, no deductible, for about $2600 from Toby Rivers:

Toby Rivers
Lexus of Shreveport
800-335-3987
tobytoyota@aol.com

If the red car is at a Lexus dealer, you can get a Lexus Platinum used car warranty, but it's much more expensive. Don't know if this would influence your decision any.
Old 04-26-18, 12:40 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Michele:

If you get the CPO car, you can get an extension to the L-CPO warranty of up to 5 years (on top of the CPO warranty) with unlimited mileage, no deductible, for about $2600 from Toby Rivers:

Toby Rivers
Lexus of Shreveport
800-335-3987
tobytoyota@aol.com

If the red car is at a Lexus dealer, you can get a Lexus Platinum used car warranty, but it's much more expensive. Don't know if this would influence your decision any.
I decided to pass on the RWD CPO car after I learned that there's no rear heated seats. That's just one of my must haves. Plus, I just really want an AWD.

Why is the Lexus platinum warranty so expensive? I was quoted $3,171 for 2 years, 24,000 miles on the red one. Actually, I'm not even sure that's the Lexus platinum warranty. I heard that number and stopped listening. If it was longer coverage, I might think about it but not that price for that short a term. I'm more likely to put money in the bank for a rainy day when/if expensive repairs come up. I have a trusted indy shop that won't rip me off and I'm willing to take the risk. I was just happier taking the risk on something without air suspension, but I'm growing tired of the search and less hopeful that the next "right" car will come along soon.

I think the asking price is a fair price, although I wish I could negotiate 2 new front tires. I don't know how willing these dealers are to negotiate on things like that with an upfront price. Actually, I wish I could negotiate a few hundred less and take care of the 2 new tires myself, but I do know they have already factored that into the condition.
Old 04-26-18, 03:22 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
I decided to pass on the RWD CPO car after I learned that there's no rear heated seats. That's just one of my must haves. Plus, I just really want an AWD.

Why is the Lexus platinum warranty so expensive? I was quoted $3,171 for 2 years, 24,000 miles on the red one. Actually, I'm not even sure that's the Lexus platinum warranty. I heard that number and stopped listening. If it was longer coverage, I might think about it but not that price for that short a term. I'm more likely to put money in the bank for a rainy day when/if expensive repairs come up. I have a trusted indy shop that won't rip me off and I'm willing to take the risk. I was just happier taking the risk on something without air suspension, but I'm growing tired of the search and less hopeful that the next "right" car will come along soon.
Mbbarron, good to know you are sticking with your AWD preference. If that gives you peace of mind, that's the most important thing.

If I recall correctly, this vehicle has 86K miles. You cannot get Lexus Platinum VSA for such a high mileage car. I don't think it is worth paying over $3K for 2 years of full coverage. If you were getting 40-50K miles and 4-5 years, it would be reasonable. If you buy this car, save the money you might have used for the warranty and hope for the best. You might eventually have to spend 4K to fix the air suspension, but there is no guarantee it will fail in the next two years of coverage with this warranty.

I bought Lexus Platinum VSA 10 years/125K miles for $4100 from Toby Rivers for my car before it turned 50K miles (the limit). He is very helpful. If you have any warranty questions, contact him.
Old 04-26-18, 04:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah that doesn’t surprise me, mine doesn’t have rear heated seats either, and my much lower equipped AWD 2015 did. I think it has to do with RWD cars only being shipped to areas where there isn’t winter weather and for some reason they typically aren’t equipped with heated rear seats unless they have the UL package

If your our kids love heated rear seats they will LOVE the UL package haha. It’s pretty awesome.
Just about every LS460 I have looked at has rear heated seats, even RWD ones. I don't think I have seen one with out them but maybe that is just because I did not look to hard into each one or I am only looking at 2010 and above but it seems like a pretty common feature on the 2010+ LS460's I have looked at when they at least have Nav.

The thing that is very rare on regular wheel base LS460's and RWD is Mark Levinson, very hard to find. What is almost non existent is the package that has semi aniline leather, suede headliner, rear power seats which I don't recall ever seeing yet on a regular wheelbase but people say its exists.
Old 04-26-18, 04:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I think the asking price is a fair price, although I wish I could negotiate 2 new front tires. I don't know how willing these dealers are to negotiate on things like that with an upfront price. Actually, I wish I could negotiate a few hundred less and take care of the 2 new tires myself, but I do know they have already factored that into the condition.
I would not pay $3171 or $2600 just to get 2 extra years of warranty or even 4 years for a Lexus. Likely a total waste of money unless the car you are buying has some expensive issues which will likely show up right after your warranty is up.
Old 04-26-18, 04:20 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UDel
Just about every LS460 I have looked at has rear heated seats, even RWD ones. I don't think I have seen one with out them but maybe that is just because I did not look to hard into each one or I am only looking at 2010 and above but it seems like a pretty common feature on the 2010+ LS460's I have looked at when they at least have Nav.

The thing that is very rare on regular wheel base LS460's and RWD is Mark Levinson, very hard to find. What is almost non existent is the package that has semi aniline leather, suede headliner, rear power seats which I don't recall ever seeing yet on a regular wheelbase but people say its exists.
Yes, the UltraLux package is quite rare in SWB, but it exists. Fatherto1 has one of those cars
Old 04-26-18, 06:58 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

I put a deposit down on the red one today and johnnyg66 has so kindly offered to go test drive it for me tomorrow. TIA John!

1) So would you get a PPI in addition when the seller is an Elite Lexus dealer? I don't think they're trying to hide anything. My question would be if they missed something unintentionally, even minor.

2) And would you try to negotiate on price based on 50% tread left on 2 front tires (6/32, 5/32). They have a non-negotiate upfront pricing which I think is a fair price.
Old 04-26-18, 07:35 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Interesting. I have owned LS400, LS430, LS460. They weren't the UL. All were RWD, and all had rear seat seaters. All in So Cal as well.

Didn't even know they made LS without rear seat heaters. To me that is at least the minimum necessary in the rear.....
Our 2001 has rear heated seats which we use all the time. I'm guessing maybe this was a change in the 2013 MY redesign.
Old 04-26-18, 09:23 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I put a deposit down on the red one today and johnnyg66 has so kindly offered to go test drive it for me tomorrow. TIA John!

1) So would you get a PPI in addition when the seller is an Elite Lexus dealer? I don't think they're trying to hide anything. My question would be if they missed something unintentionally, even minor.

2) And would you try to negotiate on price based on 50% tread left on 2 front tires (6/32, 5/32). They have a non-negotiate upfront pricing which I think is a fair price.
It will not hurt to ask. They do have some margin in the asking price. I think they would be more willing to swap tires than to reduce the price.
Since I purchased my car from them I have a certain amount of trust in them. The real issue is how do they stand behind their sale with issues on vehicles that are 1,000 miles away. Not sure how that would work.

In the end, I ended up with a great car, to me, at a good price that I thought was fair. It was not a screaming deal but I was not looking for that. See if they will let you speak directly with their senior mechanic Bob and ask him point blank about your concerns and his inspection of the vehicle. I believe you are in good hands with them.
Old 04-26-18, 09:39 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I think it is wise to have PPI done. I recall a couple members posting here about CPO cars that immediately had problems that either the dealer knew or should have known.

I agree with Gary, see if you can get 2 new front tires. If they have a non-negotiable price that's fair it is unlikely they will come down.
Old 04-27-18, 08:31 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Agreed, we don't get enough consistent weather issues in MD to warrant snow tires.
Living in the Pacific Northwest, neither do we - if ever. However, "snow" tires these days, aren't what they used to be. In fact many manufacturers don't even call them snow tires anymore. They call them "All weather tires" (no to be confused "all season" tires). All weather have a snowflake designation and are certified as a snow tire, but can be driven in the Summer as well. Mine I only use in the Winter (because I also have 20" rims and staggered tires), but COULD be driven in the hottest summer weather as well. They are speed rated V and labelled a touring tire. They are quiet and smooth. My wife runs hers all year.
The following users liked this post:
Nospinzone (04-27-18)
Old 04-27-18, 09:42 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I think it is wise to have PPI done. I recall a couple members posting here about CPO cars that immediately had problems that either the dealer knew or should have known.
Thanks for the tip! Yeah, pretty excited about this one. Gonna try to arrange for a PPI. I think it's the smart thing to do even though, I don't anticipate anything turning up that wasn't checked out at the Lexus inspection. But you just never know so it's best to cover my bases. Is it weird that it went for photography on Tue and pics still are not up on their website? I've only seen a few pics that my sales rep texted me. Not that I'm that anxious to have the pics open to the public. I don't want outside interest generated, although I do have first right of refusal with my deposit.
I recommend the PPI, Lemonsquad, for example. Even though they won't drive the car, they will go over the car very carefully for cosmetic and other issues and send you tons of pics, so that $150 is well worth it. Don't trust the dealership just because it is CPO.

I could be one of the people Nospinzone is remembering. I bought a 2012 LS CPO in June 2015 from Lexus of Madison, and they either did a bad inspection or knowingly did not disclose underbody damage and repair. I am sure a 3rd party PPI would have caught it. For details, see my posts #s 2 and 4 in thread below.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...014-ls460.html

I traded in that 2012 for my 2014LS in 2016. I paid for a PPI at a Lexus dealership. For $135, they put it on the lift and checked out all the mechanicals and essentially did their standard multipoint inspection. But they did a poor job of checking the car for paint or bodywork, as I found out later. I am sure Lemonsquad would have caught those issues, which would have allowed me to take another $1K off the sale price. So, I learned the hard way. Pay for a 3rd party PPI. If nothing else, it will give you peace of mind that the car is perfectly fine.
The following users liked this post:
Mbbarron (04-27-18)
Old 04-27-18, 10:40 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbbarron;10183442[b
]I decided to pass on the RWD CPO car after I learned that there's no rear heated seats. That's just one of my must haves. Plus, I just really want an AWD.

Good for you for sticking to your must-haves, Michele. The lack of rear heated seats in an LS is very odd to me. I thought this feature would be standard. Were you able to confirm that the rear armrest is missing dials for seat heaters? Or did the sales rep simply state the car lacks the feature? I'm just curious more than anything else. Hope the front tires can be swapped on the red LS you do like. Best of luck!
Old 04-27-18, 10:57 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Good for you for sticking to your must-haves, Michele. The lack of rear heated seats in an LS is very odd to me. I thought this feature would be standard. Were you able to confirm that the rear armrest is missing dials for seat heaters? Or did the sales rep simply state the car lacks the feature? I'm just curious more than anything else. Hope the front tires can be swapped on the red LS you do like. Best of luck!
Thanks, I hope it works out. Trying to arrange for a PPI today. It seems to be that the 2013+ RWD does NOT come standard with rear heated seats. Not sure what pkg you need to have that feature. I don't know why they made that change, but someone else was surmising that it's probably because RWD cars are typically kept in warmer climates, so less of a need for that feature.

Quick Reply: Rare find - But not sure if it's the one for me