ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017-178/)
-   -   Can you add aftermarket head unit? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/885392-can-you-add-aftermarket-head-unit.html)

bigjez 04-05-18 11:17 AM

Can you add aftermarket head unit?

Quick question... can you replace the marks head unit and keep the Navi screen? I don’t want a signal processor.

MotoCARR 04-05-18 05:04 PM

Most likely going to have to be a custom install. Currently there are no “dash kits” I’m aware of to add an aftermarket head unit.

roadfrog 04-08-18 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by bigjez (Post 10163490)
Quick question... can you replace the marks head unit and keep the Navi screen? I don’t want a signal processor.

No you cannot.

dphennis 04-08-18 03:31 PM

is there anyway to run spotify or usb in an 07? im running into the same problems

comotiger 04-08-18 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by dphennis (Post 10166201)
is there anyway to run spotify or usb in an 07? im running into the same problems

Your car must have an AUX input for a 3.5 mm jack. You could then get a bluetooth receiver like the one below, and play music from your smartphone.

dphennis 04-09-18 03:46 PM

That's crazy that there is no dash kit. They don't make it easy.

roadfrog 04-09-18 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by dphennis (Post 10167201)
That's crazy that there is no dash kit. They don't make it easy.

Fewer and fewer cars do, because HVAC, and MANY other settings are made through the head unit,

rehr0001 04-10-18 10:18 AM

If you were looking at doing a new head unit - consider ordering a vline from Grom. It's a bit spendy, but now after a year is cruising along with software that is stable. If you use an iphone, you get CarPlay on your stock head unit. If you don't want to use CarPlay or are in the Android ecosystem, you can use the native vline software and use google maps/waze, etc for navigation, BT audio streaming, Spotify, etc. In the beginning I wasn't super happy. At this point, I'm a very happy customer.

They have a new faster version (Vline2) in preorder right now. That would probably be the direction to go in if you're looking.

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/index.html

DavidinCT 04-10-18 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by comotiger (Post 10166225)
Your car must have an AUX input for a 3.5 mm jack. You could then get a bluetooth receiver like the one below, and play music from your smartphone.

Originally Posted by comotiger (Post 10166225)

Cheap option and does work pretty well, I have one of these things (picked up for $3) and it works, you can even plug it in right in the center console as I do...

Originally Posted by rehr0001 (Post 10167972)
If you were looking at doing a new head unit - consider ordering a vline from Grom. It's a bit spendy, but now after a year is cruising along with software that is stable. If you use an iphone, you get CarPlay on your stock head unit. If you don't want to use CarPlay or are in the Android ecosystem, you can use the native vline software and use google maps/waze, etc for navigation, BT audio streaming, Spotify, etc. In the beginning I wasn't super happy. At this point, I'm a very happy customer.

They have a new faster version (Vline2) in preorder right now. That would probably be the direction to go in if you're looking.

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/index.html

Very cool but, expensive ($500ish), I would so do this one, it looks awesome, it would be nice to have Waze on the navi screen, as I use it every day. Saves $$ on speeding tickets :)

roadfrog 04-11-18 08:51 PM

a bit spendy, but now after a year is cruising along with software that is stable.
Really? Everything I'm reading still points to bugs and issues. I really want to do this mod, but no way am I getting suckered AGAIN, until I know it works AS ADVERTISED.

rehr0001 04-12-18 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by roadfrog (Post 10169766)
Really? Everything I'm reading still points to bugs and issues. I really want to do this mod, but no way am I getting suckered AGAIN, until I know it works AS ADVERTISED.

From a CarPlay perspective, it’s awfully solid. I get in my car, plug in my phone, and have access to CarPlay with full stock controls. Siri works great, the hands free calling through CarPlay works great (I unpaired Bluetooth from the Lexus), and because its running off of the phone instead of the vline for the most part, the general slowness of the vline1 is mostly bypassed.

if you’re on the android ecosystem, I’m less cheery. The vline1 is just plain slow. That could/should be remedied with the new unit. Google maps and waze work great, BT streaming is fine, but they all run slow. You also have the extra step of using the WiFi hotspot connection on your phone to use everything. I much prefer just plugging in my phone and having everything work rather than waiting for the unit to boot, getting to the hotspot screen, and waiting for it to connect.

dphennis 04-19-18 07:40 PM

I just purchased https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...nt_system.html but I will not receive it for another month. I will let you know how it is. im hooking up two sundown x-8s powered by a sundown 3000 watt amp.

ALK 04-20-18 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by dphennis (Post 10177203)
I just purchased https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/le...nt_system.html but I will not receive it for another month. I will let you know how it is. im hooking up two sundown x-8s powered by a sundown 3000 watt amp.

So the audio will be directly connected to the vline ?

sktn77a 04-20-18 06:52 AM

The problem is that the OEM head units are integrated electronically with the cars other systems. Not like the good old days when a DIN head unit was a DIN head unit. Moreover, most car audio systems are acoustically matched to the car's interior characteristics, so even swapping out the low quality speakers (the usual weak spot of manufacturers system) probably won't result in the improvements you might otherwise expect. Head units are usually the most capable part of the OEM system but are let down by the rest of the audio chain. I find that adding a good subwoofer invariably produces phenomenal results in otherwise disappointing OEM systems (I'm not a bass-head by any means, but it adds "body" to the sound that the manufacturers subs just cant do).

rehr0001 04-20-18 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by ALK (Post 10177407)
So the audio will be directly connected to the vline ?

More the vline is directly connected to the audio. Think of it as the vline is acting like another input - like the CD player, or the FM radio, or the satellite radio. The vline is just another option to pick. It just happens to be a very powerful option that gives you access to CarPlay and many other android apps that make your head unit as good as any modern system.