LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Can you add aftermarket head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 07:08 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by rtr2

Yes you can. I have a 2007 LS460, and my local shop removed the factory amp, installed a Kenwood DDX9904S Double DIN head unit that does CarPlay and Android audio, removed the Mark Levinson amp in the back on the right side, replaced it with two smaller Rockford Fosgate digital amps that are extremely small, and are using the factory Levinson speakers, and it sounds great. My HVAC, factory GPS, factory back up camera, and any information that needs to come through the system like I received a notice for my air filter replacement the other day, everything works with no issues.

. I have had no errors with any factory electronics, and the system sounds great. I love it.
this is an old post but a few questions,

1. So basically what was done here was retain the non audio car functions on the factory screen, however the factory screen no longer controls any audio functions correct?

2. The 2nd new screen now controls all the audio functions plus whatever else it came with?

3. So essentially in the trunk they just moved the wiring from the ML amp to the 2 new amps you mentioned?

4. Can the kenwood screen move? I see that it is tilted for easy access, but can it sit flush.
Old 02-16-19, 11:24 PM
rtr2
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: jdanielca & khnu

jdanielca:

It wasn’t plug and play, but was not as hard as some people act like. I had a Kenwood Excelon first, then changed it up with a Pioneer Avic, then simplified it with an Alpine. We installed three different systems in the car, but the last one was the best. I guess the phrase simple is better is definitely true. I went with an Alpine ILX-F309 deck that is only 1XDIN mounting size but has a huge tablet like appearance for its display, and went with the previously mentioned two JL Audio HD amps that controlled all of the ML Speakers. We took a factory LS460 CD, cut off the sides of it, and made a fiberglass installation kit from that, ran three sets of RCA’s from the deck area to the back passenger side where the ML amp is located, matched each channel of the ML speakers up to the corresponding JL Audio amps, hooked up the power, and enjoyed the final product. I loved the look & sound of it. I just traded it off for a new car, or I would give you the exact wiring at the amps but that would not be hard for a shop to figure out.

Here are your answers:

1. Q: So basically what was done here was retain the non audio car functions on the factory screen, however the factory screen no longer controls any audio functions correct?

A: We just unplugged the audio plugs, and the main screen was fully operational with no functions impacted except the audio button/screen. Everything else works fine, on mine and I believe it said something about not being connected when I pushed the audio button (so I didn’t push it).

2. Q: The 2nd new screen now controls all the audio functions plus whatever else it came with?

A: Yes just the audio, but it has the ability to do A LOT MORE. I did not do this one completely, but if you add the iDatalink Maestro module, and have a shop custom tune it to your car, the module can literally control anything. I bought one, I don’t remember which (maybe for the Avalon or Land Cruiser), and started figuring out what went to what from a system schematics book that I got from a mechanic at a Toyota and Lexus dealer. I bought a new toy and stopped working on it, but again a shop can figure this one out.

Link for iDatalink: http://maestro.idatalink.com/product...product_id/102

3. Q: So essentially in the trunk they just moved the wiring from the ML amp to the two new amps you mentioned?

A: Yes

4. Q: Can the kenwood screen move? I see that it is tilted for easy access, but can it sit flush.

A: Yes it could, but the very top of the ashtray needed to be trimmed slightly and I did not want that so I left the deck tilted which worked better on a bright day. I wouldn’t go with the Kenwood. I wanted it to work perfectly, and not modify the fake wood (nice one Lexus, cheapasses...), so I went with the new Alpine 1X DIN iLX-F309. I loved it. It can control everything, and sounded so much better than the top of the line Kenwood Excelon & Pioneer AVICENNA models. I just went with the Alpine, and the two JL Audio amps (and no processors. It did not need anything except the deck and amps).

**khnu:

A: Nothing is ever impossible but I would never attempt that in an LS460 unless I was replacing the entire center of the dash with a tablet, and it would cost a fortune and take you for ever. There is only one guy I would recommend and that is Soundman (https://www.youtube.com/user/soundmancaraudio), he is the best and first that started glassing iPads into dashes. His shop has installed them into anything you could think of.

Everyone it has been a pleasure being part of the forum and I will miss it, but I just traded off my LS460 for a new 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium in “Need For Green” (lol no joke that is the color). I honestly thought that the Lexus had every toy possible in a car, but the Mustang definitely has more toys lol.

I will be posting ads for the equipment I still have for the LS since I no longer need it (CD player, extra key, entire wood interior with heated steering wheel since I changed all of my wood out for the factory black wood that I bought online from a used one, four calipers with a new set of slotted & cross drilled rotors with new ceramic pads with parts and silver Lexus decals to go on the calipers, factory tail lights, etc).

Here are a couple of pics of the LS460 after the install and the kit I made, and a few of Kermit lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by rtr2:
mambo619 (04-30-19), paulmhand (04-29-19)
Old 02-16-19, 11:53 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Man thank you for taking the time. Really appreciate it!

i actually like the first way better much cleaner look. If the ash tray cover is in the way. I shall just remove and keep that aside, are you sure it’s fake wood? They use real wood veneers I think haha

so you did not end up using: Rockford Fosgate digital amps?

I think you mentioned somewhere in a previous post in this thread that you used two JL audio amps and that they were 5 channel each? So I’m not sure how Audio terminology works. But I assume 1 channel means one set of speakers left and right or no? If that’s the case 4+ 1 (sub)? And the mark levinson is basically 19 because it’s 18 + 1 (sub?) so 9L and 9 R ? How does that work out?

do you remember which model amp it was? THANKS !!!!

Last edited by jdanielca; 02-17-19 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-17-19, 01:21 AM
rtr2
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess posting in the middle of the night using an iPhone doesn’t work so good lol. I tried to post changing the system from the Pioneer Avic with the Rockfords to the Alpine with a JL Audio HD 900/5 & 750/1, it did not post for some reason. Anyway I made a nice removable rack that slid into to ML amp area, and the two JL amps laid perfectly in it. I will see if I can find the pics and post it again. The JL’s are bigger, but work great with the Alpine. Just like the RF’s they are digital HD, and the sound clarity is great in both. I used the RF’s in my Acura ZDX due to the size of them, and the area I was working with in the ZDX.

Originally Posted by jdanielca
Man thank you for taking the time. Really appreciate it!

i actually like the first way better much cleaner look. If the ash tray cover is in the way. I shall just remove and keep that aside, are you sure it’s fake wood? They use real wood veneers I think haha

so you did not end up using: Rockford Fosgate digital amps?

I think you mentioned somewhere in a previous post in this thread that you used two JL audio amps and that they were 5 channel each? So I’m not sure how Audio terminology works. But I assume 1 channel means one set of speakers left and right or no? If that’s the case 4+ 1 (sub)? And the mark levinson is basically 19 because it’s 18 + 1 (sub?) so 9L and 9 R ? How does that work out?

do you remember which model amp it was? THANKS !!!!
Old 02-17-19, 01:37 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Great I’ll note it down, you happen to have the RF models too? Once I’ve squeezed you for all the info (lol) I’ll probably get it done this spring/summer.
Old 04-30-19, 12:06 PM
arayaajc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

rtr2:

Hi, can you give me a detail of 2 din mold, I try to find it everywhere but no luck. Btw I have LS460 2008 no navi last year and got a trouble with the factory dvd and really want to install as you post. Pls help.

Last edited by arayaajc; 04-30-19 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-16-19, 07:56 PM
DNick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom install questions

Has anyone ran into an issue replacing the factory headunit where the A/C controls run through it? If so, how did you get around that?
Old 06-17-19, 08:09 AM
arayaajc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi guys, finally I made a decision, I bought a headunit from aliexpress. I just finished this upgrade after change the new look of 2008 to later model by change front bumper and grille will share with u all next time

The following 2 users liked this post by arayaajc:
mambo619 (06-17-19), Protholl (06-04-22)
Old 06-17-19, 08:12 AM
ALK
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by arayaajc
Hi guys, finally I made a decision, I bought a headunit from aliexpress. I just finished this upgrade after change the new look of 2008 to later model by change front bumper and grille will share with u all next time

Looking forward for the feedback on this unit .
Old 06-17-19, 10:33 AM
impact
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How did I not see this post until now? That fist set of install pics are from my audio system in my LS. Yes I did a pretty extensive system in that car but it’s not necessary for an aftermarket head unit install. As far as electronic integrations, it’s as simple as plug and play with a few modules. One for integration into the ML amplifier ( I believe I used a beatsonic or pac audio piece to test before I ditched the ML amplifier). You’ll also need another module for steering wheel control. I’m happy to answer any questions or shoot over any advice. If you want to see more pics or short videos of what I did, check out my Instagram page stigs_asian_cousin. You’ll probably have to dig further back, I did this system about 3-4 years ago
Old 06-17-19, 04:24 PM
krypto89
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ALK
Looking forward for the feedback on this unit .
me too!...
Old 04-10-20, 07:20 PM
redvette33
10th Gear

I'm thinking of running the Alpine Ilx-f411 with two JL 800/8V2.. I upgraded all speakers inside to Infinity reference; three 4032 in dash, center and two in upper rear doors. 3032 in C-pillars and 6532 in all four lower doors. Fosgate P300-12 powered sub... Is there anything else I'm missing? I have the ML system.
Old 12-30-21, 08:30 PM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Did any feedback ever come? This looks like a very cool upgrade if it all works, It's a couple of years later. I wonder if technology has moved on....
Old 06-02-22, 07:26 AM
NickMastic
1st Gear

Default Head unit Trim?

Yes you can. I have a 2007 LS460, and my local shop removed the factory amp, installed a Kenwood DDX9904S Double DIN head unit that does CarPlay and Android audio, removed the Mark Levinson amp in the back on the right side, replaced it with two smaller Rockford Fosgate digital amps that are extremely small, and are using the factory Levinson speakers, and it sounds great. My HVAC, factory GPS, factory back up camera, and any information that needs to come through the system like I received a notice for my air filter replacement the other day, everything works with no issues.

. I have had no errors with any factory electronics, and the system sounds great. I love it.

How did you get that head unit trim is there a way i can order one? Im all the way in Canada and in need one of one of these double din dash kits of my 2007 lexus ls460 Please let me know
Old 07-26-23, 04:04 PM
t_mack28
2nd gear

Default Lexus 460 Pioneer install.

Can you PLEEEEEEESE contact me at t_mack28@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Can you add aftermarket head unit?