LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Can you add aftermarket head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-18, 03:30 PM
bigjez
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just so happened to look at some ppls build and look what I found now just need to talk to him lol he removed the radio and added an aftermarket one.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads/818115-ls460-build-mostly-audio-system-and-a-bit-of-the-norm.html

Old 04-20-18, 07:44 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjez
Just so happened to look at some ppls build and look what I found now just need to talk to him lol he removed the radio and added an aftermarket one.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-the-norm.html

LOL. You don't believe us huh? That particular build is probably not a NAV equipped LS.
Old 04-20-18, 08:02 PM
dphennis
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-the-norm.html

LOL that guys build cost like $20,000. His head unit alone is $1,500. ill keep you guys posted on the progress.
Old 04-21-18, 04:11 AM
bigjez
Driver

[QUOTE=dphennis;10178196]LOL that guys build cost like $20,000. His head unit alone is $1,500. ill keep you guys posted on the progress.

the head unit is cost is not a problem although I would not use Sony I just wanted to know if it’s can be done and it looks like a nav screen above. And if not I’ll buy audio control 810 not a problem at all.

Last edited by bigjez; 04-21-18 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-21-18, 04:23 AM
bigjez
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
LOL. You don't believe us huh? That particular build is probably not a NAV equipped LS.
dont mean to ruffle feathers I just like to try all I can before I give up lol. If you look at his last few pics on pg4 it looks like he kept his nav not sure trying to find the fella to get a answers.
The following users liked this post:
impact (06-17-19)
Old 04-21-18, 11:08 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
His was a NAV equipped LS... This is a pic from his thread, Personally, I dont think it looks great at all with the cut outs for the volume/channel... but, it is a Head unit in with a LS460 with Navi... but, I am sure this is completely custom, not an off the shelf model.

The following 3 users liked this post by DavidinCT:
GradeA (11-10-19), RichLS460 (07-26-21), roadfrog (04-23-18)
Old 04-29-18, 05:34 PM
dphennis
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am starting this build soon. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by dphennis; 04-29-18 at 05:38 PM.
DavidinCT (04-29-18)
Old 04-30-18, 12:50 AM
bigjez
Driver

Originally Posted by dphennis
I am starting this build soon. I'll keep you posted.
Iam as well lol just choosing which head ubit im going with.
Old 05-01-18, 07:05 PM
rtr2
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick question... can you replace the marks head unit and keep the Navi screen? I don’t want a signal processor.
Yes you can. I have a 2007 LS460, and my local shop removed the factory amp, installed a Kenwood DDX9904S Double DIN head unit that does CarPlay and Android audio, removed the Mark Levinson amp in the back on the right side, replaced it with two smaller Rockford Fosgate digital amps that are extremely small, and are using the factory Levinson speakers, and it sounds great. My HVAC, factory GPS, factory back up camera, and any information that needs to come through the system like I received a notice for my air filter replacement the other day, everything works with no issues.

. I have had no errors with any factory electronics, and the system sounds great. I love it.
The following 5 users liked this post by rtr2:
ALK (05-02-18), arayaajc (04-30-19), diamente (04-06-19), lyntis (11-02-19), roadfrog (05-01-18)
Old 05-01-18, 08:40 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Well shut my mouth. I thought that this was all impossible without screwing up the integrated electronics.
lyntis (11-02-19)
Old 05-01-18, 10:32 PM
bigjez
Driver

Originally Posted by rtr2

Yes you can. I have a 2007 LS460, and my local shop removed the factory amp, installed a Kenwood DDX9904S Double DIN head unit that does CarPlay and Android audio, removed the Mark Levinson amp in the back on the right side, replaced it with two smaller Rockford Fosgate digital amps that are extremely small, and are using the factory Levinson speakers, and it sounds great. My HVAC, factory GPS, factory back up camera, and any information that needs to come through the system like I received a notice for my air filter replacement the other day, everything works with no issues.

. I have had no errors with any factory electronics, and the system sounds great. I love it.
Nice I got in contact with the builder I posted above and he gave me all I need to know thanks for the post and info ill be buying my head unit in a week or so. Your install looks great by the way.
The following 3 users liked this post by bigjez:
arayaajc (04-30-19), RichLS460 (07-26-21), rtr2 (05-02-18)
Old 05-01-18, 10:35 PM
bigjez
Driver

Also did he fab the dash kit or is it on the market?
Old 05-02-18, 02:01 AM
ALK
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

All I want to know is that is there any special things that the audio expert should do ? Because my of 07 has a blown ML amp and I need to replace it. So the oem nav has no control over the audio right ? Its all trough the double din u head unit ? also the sound balance and equalizer is all through the end double din head unit tight ?
Old 05-02-18, 03:19 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Following. I pre-ordered the Vline2.
Old 05-02-18, 06:05 AM
rtr2
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice I got in contact with the builder I posted above and he gave me all I need to know thanks for the post and info ill be buying my head unit in a week or so. Your install looks great by the way.
Thanks, like I said I love it. Rollin Sound’s manager Lee (Blanding Blvd, Jacksonville FL) & Thomas did the install and fabricated the three trim pieces for the cover, and covered them with matching leather. There is no kit really. They just used a double DIN cage that I think came with the deck, the mounting hardware from the factory CD drive, and did their usual magic. I was going to put my old JL Audio ZR650-CSI 6.5” & 3/4” two way pro series speakers in the dash and rear from my Mercedes, and add a small Rockford mid bass to the doors, but honestly the factory speakers sound great. I was amazed. I listened to the same JL’s in my ZDX, and then to the Levinson’s in the Lexus with the new Rockford Fosgate amps and Kenwood deck, and I personally see no need to change the separates, and these are $1000 a set separates from JL. I listen to a wide range of music, and the system to me is fine. I will add a Rockford sub in a fiberglass box mounted on the side later, but for now it sounds great. And to everyone saying there is no need to do this, for me there definitely was. I have a couple of businesses where I have to pick up clients occasionally for our contract work, and the deck let’s me use the apps I need for access to parts of bases for one business that require them without using my phone or iPad, plus I have an Apple TV hooked up through the deck using an OBD2 Verizon hotspot, and I can show presentations in the field on the deck. I have been doing that for a while in my ZDX and old C Class, and now I can use it effectively in the Lexus.
My next alterations will be a facelift to the Lexus, and since I own a carbon fiber business also the wood is going byebye. I liked it at first, but I am thinking a nice 2X2 twill carbon fiber with real copper threads in it will look nicely in the interior while still keeping the Lexus luxury look to the interior of the car.

Carbon fiber with real copper threads in it

Last edited by rtr2; 05-02-18 at 07:06 AM.
RichLS460 (07-26-21)

Quick Reply: Can you add aftermarket head unit?