Lexus Vehicles Classifieds Lexus Vehicles for sale by members, no dealers or vendor posts allowed. Only active members with >100 posts may post non-Lexus vehicles.

In Search of Best Deal ls460

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 01:16 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
Think I'm going to go look at this one for myself on Saturday. I've been looking at 2013 MY but this one checks the boxes except for the Blind spot monitoring which has been on my must have list. Still have hesitations on the RTC interface for the 2013. And I've never driven a LWB before. Any thoughts on other feature differences between 2011 v 2013?
That one does look nice. I don't have BSM, but I don't know that I'd want it around here. I've been beside cars in the lane next to me and watched the BSM light flashing in their side mirror for miles at a time. That would drive me nuts.
Old 03-22-18, 08:24 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave144239
That one does look nice. I don't have BSM, but I don't know that I'd want it around here. I've been beside cars in the lane next to me and watched the BSM light flashing in their side mirror for miles at a time. That would drive me nuts.
You can turn off the BSM if the flashing is bothersome at times. I think for me the more important part of that feature is the Rear cross traffic. I often find myself in busy parking lots/shopping centers and want to back out of a space with the security that if someone is walking behind the vehicle and I don't see them, I will be alerted. Would the parking sensors work in a similar way?
Old 03-22-18, 08:46 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Nice finds. Looks like the LS460 is starting to come down in price where I might have to really consider moving over to the 460. I kind of like the exterior of the 2013+, especially the front grill although i know several people don't, but I prefer the interior of the 2010 - 2012. Realistically I'll probably go with a 2011 or 2012 based mostly on cost. I'll be shooting for a high teen low twenty price range and based on these finds I can see they are finally starting to get there.
Old 03-22-18, 09:27 AM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

You can turn off the BSM if the flashing is bothersome at times. I think for me the more important part of that feature is the Rear cross traffic. I often find myself in busy parking lots/shopping centers and want to back out of a space with the security that if someone is walking behind the vehicle and I don't see them, I will be alerted. Would the parking sensors work in a similar way?
That cross traffic monitor is invaluable in parking lots. Its saved my butt a few times. The parking sensors sorta work the same way, but they'll only see things that are close to the bumper and you can usually see that in your mirror. The cross traffic looks at moving things in the 180 degrees behind and alerts you that something is coming. So the car that is coming down the aisle that you can't see yet alerts under CTM, but the parking sensors wouldn't see it until its 2 feet off your bumper. Kinda too late by them.

That being said, when I first got the car with BSM the lights were distracting as traffic flowed around me. After a couple of months, you stop seeing it unless you are looking for it and I love having it. Its a second confirmation for me when I check my mirrors that I'm not missing someone hiding.
The following users liked this post:
Mbbarron (03-23-18)
Old 03-23-18, 06:48 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Think I'm going to go look at this one for myself on Saturday. I've been looking at 2013 MY but this one checks the boxes except for the Blind spot monitoring which has been on my must have list. Still have hesitations on the RTC interface for the 2013. And I've never driven a LWB before. Any thoughts on other feature differences between 2011 v 2013?
I went to see the 2011 with the matte wood trim yesterday. Love the color combination, however it was in ROUGH shape! Both exterior and interior. Even cuts in the beautiful suede headliner. What a shame. My biggest learning was, you can't really tell from online pics no matter how many of them there are. You really need to see it in person before you buy!
Old 03-23-18, 08:27 AM
Nizzy81
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS

With that budget, I'd look for a 2010+ LS460L rwd with Comfort Plus package and no airshocks. You can spot Comfort Plus package easily by looking at the door arm rest to see if it has leather stitched armrest pictured vs rubber. You can spot if it has air shocks if you see a "high height" button on the shift console. This combo is ultra rare. 2010-2012 models seem to cut down on leather armrests. I rarely see it when I do searches. It would be a deal breaker for me since I am used to having Comfort plus. I don't have to worry about melting crumbling rubber arm rests
Hey, thanks a lot!! I really appreciate tips like yours. This will be my first Lexus so I can use all the insight I can get.
Old 03-23-18, 08:34 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

When I was looking for a LS I came across a lot of "beat up" CPOs where the pics looked great but the body had repairs despite car fax reports and the dealer "swore" that it has never been in an accident. These cars are pricey and they are very dependable but if they need repairs it can get costly..... So do your homework!
The most important tip that I can offer is: Don’t rely on photos, car fax, descriptions, etc. when buying ANY car...... Show up and take your time looking at the car from all angles, ask to see any service records and most importantly get ALL (if any) problems fixed prior to taking possession of the car.
Test drive the car on different roads.
Get the NAV updated because this is costly to have done.
Check on any common problems to see if they have been corrected.
Check on the sunroof glass seal to see if it is deteriorating.
Make sure all recalls have been done.
Check for wear marks on the seats and interior trim.

BUYER BEWARE because it the deal is "too good to be true"..... it usually is.

BTW! I am a big fan of purchasing a CPO Lexus with low mileage and well cared for.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 03-23-18 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-23-18, 08:43 AM
Nizzy81
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
When I was looking for a LS I came across a lot of "beat up" CPOs where the pics looked great but the body had repairs despite car fax reports and the dealer "swore" that it has never been in an accident. These cars are pricey and they are very dependable but if they need repairs it can get costly..... So do your homework!
The most important tip that I can offer is: Don’t rely on photos, car fax, descriptions, etc. when buying ANY car...... Show up and take your time looking at the car from all angles, ask to see any service records and most importantly get ALL (if any) problems fixed prior to taking possession of the car.
Test drive the car on different roads.
Get the NAV updated because this is costly to have done.
Check on any common problems to see if they have been corrected.
Check on the sunroof glass seal to see if it is deteriorating.
Make sure all recalls have been done.
Check for wear marks on the seats and interior trim.

BUYER BEWARE because it the deal is "too good to be true"..... it usually is.

BTW! I am a big fan of purchasing a CPO Lexus with low mileage and well cared for.

Thank you so much. Your tips really do help for my process. I'm trying to play it smart early, so it won't cost me much in the end.
Old 03-23-18, 09:56 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Nizzy81 Here's one that might fit the bill (based on JLAWS suggestion for a LWB RWD w/ Luxury Pkg). You'd have to negotiate on price down a little to meet your budget.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=200258246
Old 03-23-18, 10:08 AM
Nizzy81
7th Gear

Nizzy81 Here's one that might fit the bill (based on JLAWS suggestion for a LWB RWD w/ Luxury Pkg). You'd have to negotiate on price down a little to meet your budget.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=200258246
Thanks, that's a great looking car. It's worth a try, but I seriously doubt if they'll be willing to drop the price 7k just to make a sell that fits my budget. I'll check it out though..
Old 03-23-18, 10:29 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nizzy81
Thanks, that's a great looking car. It's worth a try, but I seriously doubt if they'll be willing to drop the price 7k just to make a sell that fits my budget. I'll check it out though..
No, they won't go down that much! I thought $25K was the top end of your budget?