LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

**Brembo F-sport BBK on Base 2008 LS460 installed**

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 03:48 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
Default **Brembo F-sport BBK on Base 2008 LS460 installed**

Hey everyone! Got some good news to share, a couple months ago bought 10-17 LS460 sport/F-sport brake calipers on eBay for $600 (front/back). I was pretty unsure if they would fit and I had searched and asked the question if anyone has done the conversation on the forum before but I didn't come with answer. I finally found the time to piece together rotors and brake pads and installed it myself and I'm happy to say everything fit like a glove.

BEFORE you have start this conversion you will need to have 19" + rims. Due to the oversize calipers and rotors it will not fit in anything smaller! I spent about 1k on this upgrade, not bad for BBK upgrade. Also you have the option of removing the brake shield or ordering new ones from lexus to make the bigger rotors/calipers fit. I ended up just buying new shields.

I've notice the Brembo brakes are the exactly the same size as the ones on my buddies RC-F. The front LS460 F-Sport Brake rotors are 15" in the front and 13.1 in the back. I also figured out the mystery and can CONFIRM YOU CAN BLEED THE BRAKES WITHOUT TECHSTREAM. **Just unplug the battery** Also, one thing that I found out the rear brakes that a little longer to bleed then the front.

Definitely a must upgrade if you can find the f-sport/sport Brembo calipers available!

Cleaning the calipers and putting "F" decals.

Front brake calipers are the same size of a roll of paper towels.

F-Sport rotors left, stock base rotors on the right. Make the stock rotors look like rear rotors.

The difference between the front calipers.
]
and the Front rotors and calipers installed.

The differences between the rear rotors

You can either buy new shields for the rears but I ended up just cutting it down with tin snips. You won't see it when its on.

Rear caliper and rotors mounted

With the wheels mounted front and rear

Last edited by mattbeeezy; 03-18-18 at 08:26 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by mattbeeezy:
213374U (03-18-18), Chaos236 (01-18-20), davedudu (03-17-18), DedBirdDog (03-14-19), fb182 (03-18-18), jdanielca (04-30-19), mckellyb (03-16-19), rneteorite (03-21-18) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-17-18, 04:38 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Now that's how you do it!

Let me be the first to say: Awesome!

& thank you for the brake bleed info as well.
The following users liked this post:
mattbeeezy (03-22-18)
Old 03-17-18, 06:54 PM
davedudu
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for this DIY. I'm starting a search for these calipers.
Old 03-17-18, 07:12 PM
davedudu
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just searched the entire U.S. on Craigslist for these calipers with no luck.
Old 03-17-18, 08:24 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by davedudu
I just searched the entire U.S. on Craigslist for these calipers with no luck.
try eBay bro
Old 03-18-18, 06:05 AM
462HO
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great upgrade!
Do you need larger than 19" wheels, or will 19" work?
Old 03-18-18, 08:22 AM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 462HO
Great upgrade!
Do you need larger than 19" wheels, or will 19" work?
19” will work. I have the 19” oem touring wheels on mine.
Old 03-18-18, 09:52 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Nice work!

I'm assuming the proportioning valves are no different between the two?
The following users liked this post:
mattbeeezy (03-22-18)
Old 03-18-18, 02:11 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 213374U
Nice work!

I'm assuming the proportioning valves are no different between the two?
Thanks! When your talking about proportioning valves? Are you talking about the size of each piston?
Old 03-18-18, 02:30 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2012-Lexus-LS...UAAOSwA2BZxCaa

found a pair on eBay. Price isn’t too bad either
Old 03-18-18, 03:59 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Front pad size is the same as GSF RCF. Where did u get the decals?
Old 03-18-18, 07:51 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
Front pad size is the same as GSF RCF. Where did u get the decals?
I got the decals on eBay.
Old 03-21-18, 01:39 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mattbeeezy

Thanks! When your talking about proportioning valves? Are you talking about the size of each piston?
No, proportioning valves are installed in the brake lines, somewhere between the booster and the calipers, to ensure the correct amount of pressure is applied to each corner. Not sure if our LS460's have these as I haven't seen them myself, but doing brake swaps on my Hondas in the past required changing the proportioning valves to ensure the new brakes worked properly.

If our has them, it would be easy enough to find the part numbers for the F-Sport versus the standard 460 and see if they're different. If they are different, you might not be getting the full benefit of the larger brakes without also swapping the prop valve.
Old 03-21-18, 08:02 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 213374U
No, proportioning valves are installed in the brake lines, somewhere between the booster and the calipers, to ensure the correct amount of pressure is applied to each corner. Not sure if our LS460's have these as I haven't seen them myself, but doing brake swaps on my Hondas in the past required changing the proportioning valves to ensure the new brakes worked properly.

If our has them, it would be easy enough to find the part numbers for the F-Sport versus the standard 460 and see if they're different. If they are different, you might not be getting the full benefit of the larger brakes without also swapping the prop valve.
I traced the brake line didn’t find anything. For my knowledge I researched the brake diagrams I couldn’t find any thing between the master and the brake line. I read that most cars equipped with abs don’t have proportional valves. Don’t quote me just internet reading but I can promise you there is a pretty big between the stock and brembo f-sport brakes.
Old 03-21-18, 09:13 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

Congratulations on the brake upgrade. However, the proper procedure after replacing brake components is to do a re-calibrating of the brake system with Techstream, which is to take a reading of the new brake parts, optimize them with the brake system, and then save the new settings in the brake memory module. LS460 brake system is controlled by an electronic system. To bleed the rear brakes properly, the brake actuator solenoid needs to be in the open position and then the brake accumulator and the rear brake actuator will force out the old brake fluid continuously until the brake bleeding plug is closed. Namely, the rear brakes cannot be properly bled without Techstream. For bleeding the front brakes properly, the brake system (i.e., the brake accumulator) needs to be zero down (releasing the pressure from the brake accumulator) and the brake system needs to be "invalid" (i.e., cut off the power). Disconnecting the car battery is equivalent to the "ECB Invalid" with Techstream. However, disconnecting the battery does not always guarantee a "zero down" of (releasing pressure from) the brake accumulator. If you hear a deep thump sound from the brakes when you do a hard brake/stop, it usually is an indication that the brakes are not properly bled and calibrated. Unfortunately, folks (including some indy shop technicians) often erroneously take the deep thump sound as an indication of worn control arms and worn shocks.
---

Quick Reply: **Brembo F-sport BBK on Base 2008 LS460 installed**