LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

**Brembo F-sport BBK on Base 2008 LS460 installed**

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 10:08 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
Congratulations on the brake upgrade. However, the proper procedure after replacing brake components is to do a re-calibrating of the brake system with Techstream, which is to take a reading of the new brake parts, optimize them with the brake system, and then save the new settings in the brake memory module. LS460 brake system is controlled by an electronic system. To bleed the rear brakes properly, the brake actuator solenoid needs to be in the open position and then the brake accumulator and the rear brake actuator will force out the old brake fluid continuously until the brake bleeding plug is closed. Namely, the rear brakes cannot be properly bled without Techstream. For bleeding the front brakes properly, the brake system (i.e., the brake accumulator) needs to be zero down (releasing the pressure from the brake accumulator) and the brake system needs to be "invalid" (i.e., cut off the power). Disconnecting the car battery is equivalent to the "ECB Invalid" with Techstream. However, disconnecting the battery does not always guarantee a "zero down" of (releasing pressure from) the brake accumulator. If you hear a deep thump sound from the brakes when you do a hard brake/stop, it usually is an indication that the brakes are not properly bled and calibrated. Unfortunately, folks (including some indy shop technicians) often erroneously take the deep thump sound as an indication of worn control arms and worn shocks.
---
Thanks and thanks for clarifying that! Disconnecting the battery was just my way to clear the lines of air and I was successful to get a solid line of brake fuild with no air in the lines. Totally agree there’s a by the book method but this upgrade was to show you can get this done without techstream. By no means was my method to fully flush out the lines and the system of brake fluid. I’m pretty hard on my brakes and I have zero issues and sounds. The brakes are firm and linear and very progressive on the amount of pressure you apply on the brake pedal. I’m very confident in what I did was good enough to daily drive my LS and not put my life in danger.
Old 03-21-18, 11:05 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by mattbeeezy

Thanks and thanks for clarifying that! Disconnecting the battery was just my way to clear the lines of air and I was successful to get a solid line of brake fuild with no air in the lines. Totally agree there’s a by the book method but this upgrade was to show you can get this done without techstream. By no means was my method to fully flush out the lines and the system of brake fluid. I’m pretty hard on my brakes and I have zero issues and sounds. The brakes are firm and linear and very progressive on the amount of pressure you apply on the brake pedal. I’m very confident in what I did was good enough to daily drive my LS and not put my life in danger.
---
I have nothing but full respect for what you did. Congratulations again on a job well done. I didn't in anyway mean to criticize your work. Just wanted to say that it actually is much easier to do it by the book with Techstream. Folks like you with good DIY skills should have no problem at all to do a brake bleeding job by the book if you have access to Techstream.
---
The following users liked this post:
mattbeeezy (03-22-18)
Old 03-26-18, 08:41 PM
Ls460kidd
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You got me thinking...your stock front brakes are very small my front brakes on my ls460 look about the same size as the brembo upgrade..im guessing mine ride has an upgrade i didnt know about
Old 03-14-19, 05:34 AM
ALK
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Worth the upgrade if found at I good price . I am looking currently .
Old 04-30-19, 11:54 AM
CG1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALK
Worth the upgrade if found at I good price . I am looking currently .
These 6-pots are nice units with reasonable piston area. I have a set I was using for a BBK for an Evoque, but I went another direction. They are in great shape. Would sell if you are still hunting.
Old 01-18-20, 12:26 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts

How are your brakes holding up? I have a set of the f sport calipers. Though the rear rotors are larger they use the same brake pads size for base and F sport models? They look tiny to me.

Most importantly, how are you handling the squeal? As far as I know, everyone deals with some initial squealing with whatever pads they use? I had zero issues finding Brembo rotors at $100 a piece but I am considering maybe looking at centric rotors hoping the metal compound is slightly different to reduce squealing.

With an emergency stop the f sport tested to stop only 4 feet less than non-f sport brakes. Of course, that doesn’t test brake fade so I’m sure the F sport can aggressively stop continuously more so than the non-f sport brakes.
Old 01-18-20, 03:52 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Curious what brake pads did you use.
Old 01-18-20, 04:14 PM
ALK
Advanced

Any advantage in installing rear F-sport calipers ?.
Old 11-14-22, 03:00 PM
ALK
Advanced

Just finished installing my front F-sport set with powerstop pads . Thoughts on the color ?

Old 11-14-22, 03:59 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

@ALK The colors looks great! Nice job.