LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tutorial LS460: Clear “Brake Malfunction, Check VSC System” Dash Error Messages

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-18, 08:40 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

[QUOTE=joeccl;10258728]
Originally Posted by yyymmm31

Thanks for reminding, it is actually C1345. Sorry for the confusion.

I tried Test Code many times before but it doesn't seems to be able to complete (The two lights stay on instead of "flashing very fast"). I will try again with 30 mins power off to see the difference. Do you think I need to run Reset Memory and Linear Value Offset after Test Mode?
----
I meant to run Test Mode on ABS/VSC/TRAC => Utility => Test Mode screen. If you can't complete Test Mode, I don't think that re-running Reset Memory and Linear Value Offset will help, because you have a persistent C1345 error. There could be either some hardware issue or somehow Techstream is not fully communicating with your car. You may try powering off the car for 30 minutes, and then re-running Test Mode. If you can run it successfully, then run Reset Memory and Linear Value Offset. As I mentioned earlier, it is important to select the right car manufacturer date in Techstream based on the driver's door label. Another way to try it is to use Version 10 or 13 Techstream. For older LS 460 cars, I found that Version 10 Techstream is more reliable. I used Version 12 a couple of times but didn't like it as some functions were missing. I also used Version 13 on newer Lexus cars and it seems to be stable and consistent.
---

Last edited by yyymmm31; 07-23-18 at 08:43 AM. Reason: correct typo
Old 07-24-18, 03:35 AM
joeccl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=yyymmm31;10258946]
Originally Posted by joeccl
----
I meant to run Test Mode on ABS/VSC/TRAC => Utility => Test Mode screen. If you can't complete Test Mode, I don't think that re-running Reset Memory and Linear Value Offset will help, because you have a persistent C1345 error. There could be either some hardware issue or somehow Techstream is not fully communicating with your car. You may try powering off the car for 30 minutes, and then re-running Test Mode. If you can run it successfully, then run Reset Memory and Linear Value Offset. As I mentioned earlier, it is important to select the right car manufacturer date in Techstream based on the driver's door label. Another way to try it is to use Version 10 or 13 Techstream. For older LS 460 cars, I found that Version 10 Techstream is more reliable. I used Version 12 a couple of times but didn't like it as some functions were missing. I also used Version 13 on newer Lexus cars and it seems to be stable and consistent.
---

I disconnected the battery for a whole night and tried Test Mode, but the process still unable to complete. During the process there the screen prompt "Keep the vehicle stationary for two seconds or more", but I didn't click next because there is some click "calibrating" sound from the engine bay. But still, it failed at the end. I will try to find version 10 or 13 to have a look, but it doesn't seems easy.

I wonder are there any other calibrations or reset I can try before ordering the Brake Actuator?

Old 07-24-18, 10:56 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

[QUOTE=joeccl;10259752]

I disconnected the battery for a whole night and tried Test Mode, but the process still unable to complete. During the process there the screen prompt "Keep the vehicle stationary for two seconds or more", but I didn't click next because there is some click "calibrating" sound from the engine bay. But still, it failed at the end. I will try to find version 10 or 13 to have a look, but it doesn't seems easy.

I wonder are there any other calibrations or reset I can try before ordering the Brake Actuator?
----
The "Keep the vehicle stationary for two seconds or more" message is new to me. Normally, Test Mode will complete after the ABS/VSC light flashes a few seconds. Usually, C1345 error suggests two issues: (1) the accidentally trigged "Initialization of linear solenoid and calibration undone", which can be cleared by running (a) Test Mode and (b) Linear Solenoid Valve Offset (calibrate to zero), and (2) the failure of Skid Control ECU (a hardware issue). If you can't clear C1345 by running Test Mode and Linear Valve Offset procedures, it points to the other common cause for C1345, a failed Skid Control ECU (also called ABS Control Module). Before you replace the brake actuator ($$$), check if your skid control ECU is functioning properly. Brake actuator may not be at fault for your problem. At this point, it is worth having a Lexus dealer diagnose the cause for the problem before replacing any hardware parts. The cost of Skid Control ECU is also high. Nonetheless, it is worth finding a Version 10 Techstream and running both Test Mode and Linear Valve Offset procedures one more time. When you use Techstream, close all other programs on your PC and also disconnect WIFI (to prevent Techstream from attempting to download and install updates online, which may freeze your PC and impacts Techstream performance).
----
The following users liked this post:
joeccl (08-01-18)
Old 08-01-18, 07:40 AM
joeccl
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=yyymmm31;10260083]
----
The "Keep the vehicle stationary for two seconds or more" message is new to me. Normally, Test Mode will complete after the ABS/VSC light flashes a few seconds. Usually, C1345 error suggests two issues: (1) the accidentally trigged "Initialization of linear solenoid and calibration undone", which can be cleared by running (a) Test Mode and (b) Linear Solenoid Valve Offset (calibrate to zero), and (2) the failure of Skid Control ECU (a hardware issue). If you can't clear C1345 by running Test Mode and Linear Valve Offset procedures, it points to the other common cause for C1345, a failed Skid Control ECU (also called ABS Control Module). Before you replace the brake actuator ($$$), check if your skid control ECU is functioning properly. Brake actuator may not be at fault for your problem. At this point, it is worth having a Lexus dealer diagnose the cause for the problem before replacing any hardware parts. The cost of Skid Control ECU is also high. Nonetheless, it is worth finding a Version 10 Techstream and running both Test Mode and Linear Valve Offset procedures one more time. When you use Techstream, close all other programs on your PC and also disconnect WIFI (to prevent Techstream from attempting to download and install updates online, which may freeze your PC and impacts Techstream performance).
----

Thank you very much for your help and comments. Finally I have replaced the Brake Actuator and the learning process can be completed successfully. I will try to dismantle the Actuator to see if I can locate anything wrong with it, hope to report more findings and share.
Again, thank you very much for your advise.
yyymmm31 (08-02-18)
Old 08-01-18, 10:56 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

[QUOTE=joeccl;10267179]

Thank you very much for your help and comments. Finally I have replaced the Brake Actuator and the learning process can be completed successfully. I will try to dismantle the Actuator to see if I can locate anything wrong with it, hope to report more findings and share.
Again, thank you very much for your advise.
---
Thank you for sharing your experience and solution for the problem. Glad that you eventually solved the problem on your own. BTW, one of the key requirements for running Test Mode (for zero point calibration) is to place the car on a flat level ground withe the steering wheel straight. Not sure if this information is relevant for you anymore. Hope that you can find out what's wrong with the actuator and repair it as a spare or re-sell it to recover some of your repair cost. I remember once seeing a brake actuator repair video on YouTube but can't find it now. In any case, congrats on fixing your car's problem.
-----
Old 08-02-18, 07:11 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Where did you purchase the replacement actuator from and what was the cost?
Old 08-02-18, 09:32 AM
joeccl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sha4000
Where did you purchase the replacement actuator from and what was the cost?

I bought it from Lexus via local dealer (Hong Kong), the cost is around $1800 USD. Is it good or bad priced?

Old 08-02-18, 11:49 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

----
In the US, there is more competition for Lexus replacement parts than in other markets. As a result, the price of Lexus parts is usually lower than in other markets. A new OE LS460 brake actuator can be purchased at about $1200. Although most vendors listed Part# 44050-50110 as the OE replacement actuator for LS460, some LS460 owners reported that their dealers used Part# 04003-45450 as the latest/updated actuator. Some other LS460 owners also reported that their dealers used Part# 44050-50170 and 44050-50130 to replace their bad brake actuators.
----
Old 08-02-18, 05:43 PM
joeccl
Driver School Candidate

----
In the US, there is more competition for Lexus replacement parts than in other markets. As a result, the price of Lexus parts is usually lower than in other markets. A new OE LS460 brake actuator can be purchased at about $1200. Although most vendors listed Part# 44050-50110 as the OE replacement actuator for LS460, some LS460 owners reported that their dealers used Part# 04003-45450 as the latest/updated actuator. Some other LS460 owners also reported that their dealers used Part# 44050-50170 and 44050-50130 to replace their bad brake actuators.
----
I also aware of the lower price in US. The reason I still got it locally is that I can return it in case it doesn’t fix my problem.
It also comes with 1 year warranty.
Old 08-02-18, 07:43 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

I also aware of the lower price in US. The reason I still got it locally is that I can return it in case it doesn’t fix my problem.
It also comes with 1 year warranty.
-----
Buying it locally with a warranty and the assurance of being able to return it was a wise move.
------
Old 01-14-19, 08:47 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

This looks just like my current problem following a Wheel Bearing replacement. Question: I don't have TechStream, but can an ABS reset be performed from an Innova 3100i? If not, I guess I'm ordering TechStream
Old 01-14-19, 11:15 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

So just talked with my dealer. The campaign for my 2007 LS460L does include the Glove Box and Console components, but the Dash and Door Panels expired in 2017. They said all there attempts to get Lexus to support have failed. I never received a letter, so never knew to come in. Glove Box and Console are better than nothing. Thanks to all Club Lexus members.

Process is for Dealer to take pictures, get approval from Lexus, order the parts, and then do install. We'll see
Santa01 (08-22-20)
Old 01-14-19, 04:30 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlutrick
So just talked with my dealer. The campaign for my 2007 LS460L does include the Glove Box and Console components, but the Dash and Door Panels expired in 2017. They said all there attempts to get Lexus to support have failed. I never received a letter, so never knew to come in. Glove Box and Console are better than nothing. Thanks to all Club Lexus members.

Process is for Dealer to take pictures, get approval from Lexus, order the parts, and then do install. We'll see
i don’t think that’s true why not message lexus in Facebook to clarify
Santa01 (08-22-20)
Old 01-14-19, 08:35 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tlutrick
This looks just like my current problem following a Wheel Bearing replacement. Question: I don't have TechStream, but can an ABS reset be performed from an Innova 3100i? If not, I guess I'm ordering TechStream
---
I am not familiar with Innova 3100 and therefore I'm sorry that I can't answer your question. However, I remember seeing a posting some time ago where a DIYer reported to have used a non-TechStream tool to clear the VSC error message. I remember that the procedure was very similar to TechStream's but I don't remember exactly what the tool was. Personally, I'd use TechStream because it is the same tool that Lexus and Toyota shops are using for trouble shooting and repairing Lexus/Toyota vehicles.
Old 01-17-19, 11:53 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

So good news, the Innova 3100i cleared the errors and I'm good to go. Thanks so much to this thread as it fixed my issue.

Quick Reply: Tutorial LS460: Clear “Brake Malfunction, Check VSC System” Dash Error Messages