LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

So Who wants an LS460 Supercharger?

Old 03-06-18, 04:18 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by PwrdbyM
I'll start with saying that I'm a total gearhead, so responding negatively on a post about more power harms my soul. I've spent enough money on race cars, mods, & track days to give any financial planner a stroke. But, I bought my used LS460 as a reliable daily driver so that I could focus my disposable income on collector cars, racing and racing events. I didn't want an unreliable out of warranty car (like my previous BMW F10) that takes money away from those other areas. The LS would need a lot of work to become a bona-fide performance car. I suppose you could put 100-150 more HP under the hood, but without serious suspension and brake work it strikes me as being half assed. I'm sure you'd get some takers but I can't say I'd be one of them, especially at the price point. I do appreciate you guys supporting the Lexus mod community though.
The 100 extra hp would fit in very nicely with the car as-is, were not talking about 300-400hp , you guys are unbelievable
The following users liked this post:
superdenso (03-06-18)
Old 03-06-18, 09:18 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

I'll start with saying that I'm a total gearhead, so responding negatively on a post about more power harms my soul. I've spent enough money on race cars, mods, & track days to give any financial planner a stroke. But, I bought my used LS460 as a reliable daily driver so that I could focus my disposable income on collector cars, racing and racing events. I didn't want an unreliable out of warranty car (like my previous BMW F10) that takes money away from those other areas. The LS would need a lot of work to become a bona-fide performance car. I suppose you could put 100-150 more HP under the hood, but without serious suspension and brake work it strikes me as being half assed. I'm sure you'd get some takers but I can't say I'd be one of them, especially at the price point. I do appreciate you guys supporting the Lexus mod community though.

I can see why an f10 would leave a bad taste in your mouth, as it’s a notoriously unreliable car.

FYI, we have 65000 miles on our shop ISF, 15000 of which are supercharged under aggressive use and lots of trial and error testing and tuning, which includes 25 track days, of which 10 are supercharged. We would rebuild the engine, only problem is every cylinder still tests over 200psi!

When I look at the LS460, I don’t care about what it is, I just think of it as a canvas for what it can be, and how to transform it into something special without ruining its practicality and reliability.

Rafi
LWB460 (11-19-22)
Old 03-06-18, 09:31 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Having built numerous cars over the years and working on some of the fastest turbo cars in Florida, I think you should go for it. I myself would love a form of forced induction for the LS. Tubular headers and a nice composite intake plenum would be great upgrades for different stages of it made more power. I'd be interested in engine tuning as well. Having a solution that could be piggy backed would be tremendous. I for one would be standing in line and waiting to see this happen.
Old 03-06-18, 10:00 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm somewhat intrigued. Might be just the ticket to talk me out of trading in my car.
Old 03-07-18, 03:56 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Ok, so I’m looking for a RWD.... not too many in the northeast, but since we are getting 10” of snow today, it might be a good time to buy one

Rafi
Old 03-07-18, 11:27 AM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
The 100 extra hp would fit in very nicely with the car as-is, were not talking about 300-400hp , you guys are unbelievable
He's asking opinions of LS460 owners and he got mine. I have a race car and several other sports cars so I personally am not going to spend thousands of dollars trying to make the LS into something else. I have what I wanted. Post up your opinion if you're in favor of them producing it and don't worry about everyone else's.
roadfrog (03-07-18)
Old 03-07-18, 12:13 PM
EddieP1215
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Do both and corner 2 markets...Full 9K set-up for those that can afford it and tunes/bolt-ons for those not looking to spend as much. Shoot some of us may start with the smaller things, then decide we want more lol. The LS is a beautiful all-around car (as you stated), it just lacks to "oomph" the competition has. But what it does give us is peace of mind, and the Germans can't do that as well as the Japanese (imo). So do both and make the money and corner the markets. I for one am interested. Thanks for taking the LS into consideration. I feel it's overlooked too often.
Old 03-07-18, 03:30 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

It's a great idea, and half the price of the HKS supercharger, but I wouldn't buy it. I only spent $26k on the car, so spending 35% of that again makes no economic sense. I might go for a tune, depending on what it does.
Old 03-07-18, 04:24 PM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 2013 F-Sport RWD. I would LOVE to see something to increase its performance, but I wouldn't be in the market for 9k worth of improvement. I'd be looking for something that retains my reliability though, I dont want to be pushing the edge.
ragabnh (11-27-19)
Old 03-07-18, 07:32 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

And that’s why a tune is mostly needed. Some of us are familiar the gains that the ISF gets with bolt ons and a tune... the 1UR is capable of at least 70% of those increases.
Old 03-08-18, 01:22 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

So I searched within a 250 mile radius and cant find a LS460 sport model, RWD.

If anyone wants to send us their car for 2 weeks, we can do the tune, headers, etc for a very good price.

Perhaps there is someone within driving distance of our shop? We are located in Exton PA.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 03-08-18, 03:12 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

He's asking opinions of LS460 owners and he got mine. I have a race car and several other sports cars so I personally am not going to spend thousands of dollars trying to make the LS into something else. I have what I wanted. Post up your opinion if you're in favor of them producing it and don't worry about everyone else's.
Well for starters your opinion is misleading other people who haven't had any experience with supercharged cars.

No one is going to need a whole new race suspension and brake set up for a little extra power , were not talking about turning it into a track/drag/drift car, just a cruiser with a little boost.

Secondly no one cares about your race cars and sports cars, you are in the lucky 1% of people who can afford those luxuries, most of the others cant , and you sound like your dumping on the idea of modifying our cars because again, "you own race cars"

Now back on topic regarding the supercharger, I know 9k is expensive but if you really think about it, the supercharger would put the 460 on par with the AMG's in terms of power, and we would still have our reliability , so its a win win either way you look at it.

Since the 460 can be had for significantly cheaper then the S class AMG's, it seems somewhat cost effective to do the supercharger install.

And on resale you should be able to recoup at least half of the cost of the supercharger, so that evens things out a bit.
Old 03-08-18, 05:44 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Well for starters your opinion is misleading other people who haven't had any experience with supercharged cars.

No one is going to need a whole new race suspension and brake set up for a little extra power , were not talking about turning it into a track/drag/drift car, just a cruiser with a little boost.

Secondly no one cares about your race cars and sports cars, you are in the lucky 1% of people who can afford those luxuries, most of the others cant , and you sound like your dumping on the idea of modifying our cars because again, "you own race cars"

Now back on topic regarding the supercharger, I know 9k is expensive but if you really think about it, the supercharger would put the 460 on par with the AMG's in terms of power, and we would still have our reliability , so its a win win either way you look at it.

Since the 460 can be had for significantly cheaper then the S class AMG's, it seems somewhat cost effective to do the supercharger install.

And on resale you should be able to recoup at least half of the cost of the supercharger, so that evens things out a bit.
I see you're the type that must have the last word on the forum here, so I won't post anything after this. The OP has asked who is genuinely interested in a supercharger for the LS460. He deserves an honest answer from folks because his company is going to spend a large amount of money on R&D. Since RR Racing supports the Lexus tuning community we owe them the courtesy of answering truthfully. I would love for there to be numerous companies producing superchargers and it's easy to say, of course go for it! It's another entirely to actually cough up the $9k to buy one. I question whether that's the case from people shouting yes. Are you going to buy a $9k supercharger?.
I'm sorry if you're somehow upset by my response. I'm simply stating the reasons why I'm not interested in modding MY LS, rather than just saying nope. A one word answer doesn't add much to the data on why or why not someone will buy it. I'm explaining why I personally won't buy one. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. If you have other opinions about modding yours, then great, I support those who will buy a supercharger. I love everything about modding cars and judge no one for doing so. My opinion was asked for, it was given, and if you want to continue to get butt hurt about it I can't help you there. Out.
ragabnh (11-27-19)
Old 03-08-18, 06:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I see you're the type that must have the last word on the forum here, so I won't post anything after this. .
Well.....that is his M.O.

I'm used to it now.

I for one did'nt see your post as misleading, but an opinion.

Again, I'm intrigued by the idea of a Supercharger for our LS's. Always have been. I agree with ***** in respect to a relatively mild tune not requiring a great deal (if any) mods to the suspension or other aspects of the car. My only concern is the engine itself, especially as many members here already have issues with oil consumption.
Old 03-09-18, 08:11 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Anybody open to bringing theirs into these guys for a couple weeks, I’m sure they would help incentivize since you’ll be the first one. Alternatively, Rafi, I don’t think you need to look at all specifically for a Sport edition. There should be plenty RWD’s in the $10k range (maybe even less) in your area. Great deal if you ask me!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So Who wants an LS460 Supercharger?