LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Buying a 2013 LS460 for Dad - anything to worry about?

Old 03-03-18, 08:37 PM
alexbc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2013 LS460 for Dad - anything to worry about?

Hi all,

My dad who's in his 70s have enjoyed his 2007 RX350 for almost 10yrs now and it's time to upgrade. I have found a cpl of 2013/2014 LS460s in his budget, and thought it would be a great option for him, but being at that level, I am worried about reliability, safety, and the size.

Could someone help answer the following:

1. Is the car reliable? RX350 has been amazing, but I worry with too many gadgets in LS, it may have issues as both have no warranty left
2. Any issues in this year model to worry about, check for? Mileage around 30K
3. How's the pre-collision system? Is it as good as the ones in 2016 Lexus models of RX350? Most demos I see are for those cars?
4. Would it be an easy car to drive around (size is quite large) for an older person?

The pre-collision system is KEY for me, I want him to be as safe as possible as I can tell his driving is not the same as it used to be.

Thanks
Old 03-03-18, 08:54 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by alexbc
Hi all,

My dad who's in his 70s have enjoyed his 2007 RX350 for almost 10yrs now and it's time to upgrade. I have found a cpl of 2013/2014 LS460s in his budget, and thought it would be a great option for him, but being at that level, I am worried about reliability, safety, and the size.

Could someone help answer the following:

1. Is the car reliable? RX350 has been amazing, but I worry with too many gadgets in LS, it may have issues as both have no warranty left
3. How's the pre-collision system? Is it as good as the ones in 2016 Lexus models of RX350? Most demos I see are for those cars?
4. Would it be an easy car to drive around (size is quite large) for an older person?

The pre-collision system is KEY for me, I want him to be as safe as possible as I can tell his driving is not the same as it used to be.

Thanks
This is a very complex post. But, You're going to get a lot of different, But, REAL, Answers. Hold on tight because, it's gonna get real. BTW, You picked the right group to ask. Good luck and be glad you still have your DAD here to enjoy life with. I miss my DAD .
Old 03-03-18, 08:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Perfect car for your dad IMHO...very reliable, very comfortable, easy to drive.
Old 03-03-18, 09:00 PM
alexbc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys appreciate it! Our other option is 2016 Lexus RX350, which is newer and has same precollision tech, but obviously a different car and caliber.
Old 03-03-18, 09:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I’d get the LS no question.
Old 03-03-18, 10:14 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by alexbc
Thanks guys appreciate it! Our other option is 2016 Lexus RX350, which is newer and has same precollision tech, but obviously a different car and caliber.
Hi Alex,
You are the best judge of your father's driving skills in his 70s, especially noting that you have seen the expected decline with age. My advice is to stick with the RX350 that he is so familiar with. Go with the 2016 RX. The LS460 is a much larger vehicle, the sight lines are different, the engine is much more powerful, and the brakes can be grabby. Moreover, unless you are going for the fully-loaded pre-collision system option on the LS, the safety features on the 2016 RX would be more updated and easier to use for your dad. The LS is very reliable, but so is the RX. I don't know what type of driving your dad will be doing most of the time (highway/city/long distance). Unless you are looking for a highway cruiser that the LS excels at, I recommend the RX.
Old 03-04-18, 05:48 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

Hi Alex

I agree with AC go with the 2016 RX 350. People think bigger is better/safer for older drivers which often is not the case. They tend to hits more objects with bigger cars because their depth perception is not that good any more.

Dennis
Old 03-04-18, 06:16 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

If I remember correctly with my research, as I was trying to decide between these two exact models as well (2013 LS v 2016 RX), I think the RX is slightly wider than the LS but the LS is much longer. Sight lines on the RX will definitely be better given the height. You may want to have him get in and out of both cars and see if the height of the seat on the LS is an issue since he's used to the RX. Older knees and backs tend to prefer higher but not too high. On the other hand, the comfort of the seat of the LS is incomparable. As far as your priority with pre-collision system, this is an easy option to find on the RX but not so much on the LS. You say that you have found two LS's that meet your criteria that you're considering, so just confirm that it has the exact option you are looking for. Blind spot monitoring is standard on both. I find the suspension and comfort on the LS to be incredibly smoother than the LS, and that is why I decided on the LS for myself but everyone has different needs and priorities. Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with your decision and purchase!
Old 03-04-18, 06:18 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Not knowing how is your Dad's RX loaded, its hard to compare against LS on gadgets. Regardless of models, more electronics brings certain level of complexity.

I haven't seen any particular issues being identified as design/manufacturing fault in 2013-17 year LS ( like control arms in 07-10, see below). However, 2013 is a refresher from 2007-12 and is not a complete redesign. Toyota/Lexus is well known to use same/similar parts even across model lines.

For 2013/14, it may be too early to state what could be future failure points. I would check issues reported on 2007-10 to make a judgement call on 2013/14. Obviously some were addressed in 2013+.

Are you referring just a pre-collision system and not other add-ons such as DRCC, LKA, driver attention monitor etc?.

My 2014 has pre-collision. One time I was driving in a local road (two lane road) at 40mph saw a car waiting to turn left. I didn't slow down, planned to swerve to the right (enough space to pass). Went closer, I started hearing beep and flashes but then I swerved to the right and everything return to normal as if nothing ever has happened!. Assuming I hadn't applied brakes or swerved, it would've definitely slowed down or stopped to avoid/minimize the impact. Obviously I didn't want to test that .

DRCC in 2014 is much better and improved over the one I had on 2012. Both DRCC and LKA works beautifully in 2014 LS. Search this forum, I posted a video clip as well.

I believe in 2013+ models, pre-collision comes only with long wheel base model. I have to say, L base is not very suitable for crowed city driving with lots of turning and parking.

Regardless of what model you get for your Dad, I suggest getting warranty considering the gadgets involved. There are tons of postings on warranty and you make the decision .

I have seen few wheel bearing issues in 2013-14 models. One of those on my car was replaced under factory warranty.

How many miles a year a would he be driving?. Local or mostly highways?. You will have to consider these factors as well.

Not sure 2016 RX comes with newer version of pre-Collison compare to 2013/14 LS. Don't ask dealers. Call Lexus customer service and choose option for technical support. It goes to 2nd level support. If they don't have an answer, they will get back to you. If 2016 RX has newer version and the improvements are significant, I would go with that. If same or improvements are not that significant and if your Dad can drive L base LS, I would prefer to go with LS. LS provides better structural design, more air bags, stability and such compare to RX.

Last edited by satiger; 03-04-18 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-04-18, 06:41 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Forgot to mention, my 2014's original owner was 70+. How do I know, they left enough papers and addresses (saved in map) when sold He was driving between NY and FL.

BTW on a different, when selling these cars, make sure to wipe out address and phone numbers from the car.
Old 03-04-18, 03:02 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

My advice, have him test drive the LS and the RX you have in mind for him. If he really loves one over the other ........... BUY IT!
Old 03-04-18, 03:55 PM
alexbc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys... so to clarify a few things:

- He drives mostly in town, with a bit of highway driving. He puts maybe 10K a year, that's it!
- Pre-collision system, I am referring to "Tech package" in Canada. I believe it has the following features: Emergency braking, advanced cruise control, blind spot monitoring, lane keep assist and pedestrian warning?
I am quite sure this was offered on the non-Long version as a package in Canada, but I am not 100% certain and I believe it comes with the car we're looking at.

Now in terms of size, I did more digging, and the 2016 RX is now larger too, so his 2007 is 186in, 2016 RX is 192.5, and 2014 LS is 200in. So, new RX is 6in longer and then 8 more for the LS. I am quite baffled why it's so long, as interestingly the rear legroom in the LS non-L version is the same as RX?! I guess they have a massive boot!

Now, we never had extended warranty on our lexus (needed on BMW), but I am more inclined on this car due to all the electronics which are the main items that fail in modern cars!
Old 03-05-18, 07:41 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with the comments above about comfort, both physical and mental. If he drives mostly in town, he gets in and out often. If he is tall, the RX may be easier (I am tall and while not a problem, it is easier getting in/out of my daily driver MDX, than my LS or my wife's ES 300h). Same comments about length of vehicle. He may be more comfortable driving something smaller. I may get flamed for this, but since most driving in town, you might look at 2016 or newer ES. I believe it is at least 5-6 inches shorter than LS and may be more mentally comfortable driving.

I bought my 07 LS in October from an 85 year old client. She looked at RX (one of her friends has one), but being short had trouble getting in and out. She ended up getting a 17 LS, as that is the model she has driven since the LS400 came out. As an aside, in reviewing the service records on the car, I noted about five times over the ten year period she owned it that she had the dealer touch up a bumper. She said it was scrapes from piers in a parking garage she frequents.
Old 03-05-18, 02:59 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Sounds like the RX, for ingress and egress alone, would be a better choice for your Dad.
Old 03-05-18, 08:19 PM
lizhekb
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Alexbc

I think maybe you are from BC Canada. I am in Ontario and have a ls2013 with technology package swb.

I think the lane lane keep assistant is only for the LWB.

When I was searching for mine I did not see any with the LKA on the market for at least 5 months.

So so if you really need it, it will be hard to find.

I do agreee let your dad test drive one before buying it if this is not a gift with surprise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a 2013 LS460 for Dad - anything to worry about?