LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Finally Pulled the Trigger on 2010 LS460L

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 06:22 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

So after driving my LS460L for a day, I noticed a bit of a pulsation when braking, along with a strange, non-linear braking feel overall. When I would try to do a nice steady slow down coming up on traffic, I could feel a strange "brake, release, brake, release" sensation that was somewhat subtle, but definitely there. I know Lexus OEM brakes are not the best, and the rotors are prone to warping easily. I swung back by the Lexus dealer to have them check it out. Their service guy drove the car and verified the problem. I left the car with them overnight so they could work on it. When I got it back, the service guys told me they had found the front rotors were warped and the pads were glazed -- they turned the rotors and "reconditioned" both front pads (which were nearly new, with 10mm thickness still). Note that the I assumed this would fix the problem, but now, after another day of driving, the problem seems to be back. I'm not really getting the pulsation (warped rotor feel), but I'm definitely not getting a smooth braking feel from the brake pedal if I hold it down steady. I suspect the "glazed" brake pads may need replacing. Does anyone have any experience with "glazed" brake pads?

I'm pretty impressed by how well the Lexus dealer is standing behind this used, non-certified Lexus with 91k miles, I must say. I guess I'll let Lexus know the problem hasn't been solved to see what else they can/will do to help resolve. I know many people on this forum advocate for switching to non-OEM brakes -- maybe I should just go that route. How much should it cost to switch to new pads all around (I may end up footing this bill myself)?

I also had a set of Pirelli P7 All Season Plus tires installed on Saturday. When the tire guys were working on the swap, they found one rim that had a bad bend on the inside. I had them swap this rim with the bright shiny new rim in the trunk. Another of the rims had a bit of a wobble also. I had the tires Road Force Balanced, and two were able to get to around 12-13 lbs, but the best they could do with the other two was around 27-28 lbs. Old rims, I guess. The new tires do ride pretty smoothly, I'll have to admit!
Old 03-05-18, 06:29 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Congrats on your new LS. Looks great and I'm sure you'll work out the small kinks. Really nice the the dealership is working to make you happy!
Old 03-05-18, 07:08 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

Rick

The folks at Lexus of Omaha have always treated me right and that is why Lexus of Omaha is my Dealership of choice even though I live in Arkansas. When I need dealership service I plan a trip to see my 2 sisters who still live in Omaha and setup an appointment. Always been very pleased.

Dennis
Old 03-05-18, 07:51 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Rick

The folks at Lexus of Omaha have always treated me right and that is why Lexus of Omaha is my Dealership of choice even though I live in Arkansas. When I need dealership service I plan a trip to see my 2 sisters who still live in Omaha and setup an appointment. Always been very pleased.

Dennis
Yeah, they have done me pretty well on this car. I'm not a fan of their new "Plus" dealership plan -- seems like it just raised all their prices for services, and they won't negotiate on cars like they used to.

Looks like we have very similar cars now! I just noticed you also have a 2010 LS460L! Nice!
Old 03-05-18, 09:43 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

looks great, congrats
Old 03-05-18, 11:12 AM
fb182
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
So after driving my LS460L for a day, I noticed a bit of a pulsation when braking, along with a strange, non-linear braking feel overall. When I would try to do a nice steady slow down coming up on traffic, I could feel a strange "brake, release, brake, release" sensation that was somewhat subtle, but definitely there. I know Lexus OEM brakes are not the best, and the rotors are prone to warping easily. I swung back by the Lexus dealer to have them check it out. Their service guy drove the car and verified the problem. I left the car with them overnight so they could work on it. When I got it back, the service guys told me they had found the front rotors were warped and the pads were glazed -- they turned the rotors and "reconditioned" both front pads (which were nearly new, with 10mm thickness still). Note that the I assumed this would fix the problem, but now, after another day of driving, the problem seems to be back. I'm not really getting the pulsation (warped rotor feel), but I'm definitely not getting a smooth braking feel from the brake pedal if I hold it down steady. I suspect the "glazed" brake pads may need replacing. Does anyone have any experience with "glazed" brake pads?
I doubt that the pads would be glazed if they're still new. I would keep an eye on the issue because the symptoms you're describing were exactly what I was experiencing with mine. It turned out to be a failing brake actuator, which is covered under a special warranty program. But once the warranty ends you're looking at a very expensive repair. I posted a video here in this thread showing what it sounds like:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10128105
The following users liked this post:
riknchar (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 11:24 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Op......replace your rotors and pads with quality aftermarket. You will find that your car will brake as it should. Many of us here at CL have done this, and the difference is night and day. Centric premium rotors and Posi-Quiet pads will do the trick for ya! All for a few hundred bucks.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadfrog:
riknchar (03-05-18), Wandl (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 11:42 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by fb182
I doubt that the pads would be glazed if they're still new. I would keep an eye on the issue because the symptoms you're describing were exactly what I was experiencing with mine. It turned out to be a failing brake actuator, which is covered under a special warranty program. But once the warranty ends you're looking at a very expensive repair. I posted a video here in this thread showing what it sounds like:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10128105
I do fear a brake actuator problem, but I don't seem to have any of the typical symptoms (chirping sound when stopped, etc.). I know the Actuator TSB will cover me for 10 years/150k miles, which will take me into 2020. Hopefully the actuator will fail by then (if it is going bad) or be good to go for the long haul. Thanks!
Old 03-05-18, 11:44 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Op......replace your rotors and pads with quality aftermarket. You will find that your car will brake as it should. Many of us here at CL have done this, and the difference is night and day. Centric premium rotors and Posi-Quiet pads will do the trick for ya! All for a few hundred bucks.
Thanks Chris! I may end up going that route, but will keep after the Lexus dealer for now to see if they can make the brakes acceptable initially at least. I kind of hate to put much money into a car I just bought (although I did just put new tires on it)... We'll see. I do have a good independent shop that could easily change out the brake system, and they don't mind if I bring my own parts.
Old 03-05-18, 11:50 AM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Anytime you change or resurface a brake part, pad or rotor (or both) the car must go through a "bed in" (or mating) procedure. This is true of any car, not just Lexus. You can google this subject to no end. Service centers rarely do this procedure which results in a lot of braking issues. In short, the bed in procedure involves braking from increasingly higher speeds to 5mph (not to stop). So 30mph to 5mph multiple times; 40mph to 5mph multiple times, then 50, then 60. Once you start to brake, apply constant pressure on the pedal at about 80% force down to 5mph, letting off before the car stops. Obviously you need some clear road, so head out to the country. There are variations in this procedure, but most are close to what I described. I've fixed numerous brake issues this way, usually pulsing, squealing and vibrations. The good news is the procedure can be done at any point. Give it a try before you spend any money. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
riknchar (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 12:24 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by PwrdbyM
Anytime you change or resurface a brake part, pad or rotor (or both) the car must go through a "bed in" (or mating) procedure. This is true of any car, not just Lexus. You can google this subject to no end. Service centers rarely do this procedure which results in a lot of braking issues. In short, the bed in procedure involves braking from increasingly higher speeds to 5mph (not to stop). So 30mph to 5mph multiple times; 40mph to 5mph multiple times, then 50, then 60. Once you start to brake, apply constant pressure on the pedal at about 80% force down to 5mph, letting off before the car stops. Obviously you need some clear road, so head out to the country. There are variations in this procedure, but most are close to what I described. I've fixed numerous brake issues this way, usually pulsing, squealing and vibrations. The good news is the procedure can be done at any point. Give it a try before you spend any money. Good luck.
I've heard of this procedure, but have never actually attempted it. Seems like a good idea to try, though! I have an appointment for the Lexus guys to take another look at my brakes, and if they can't solve the problem, I'll give the "bed-in" procedure a shot. Thanks!
Old 03-05-18, 12:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I agree with Chris on the brakes.

Just wait until the P7s have about 1000 miles on them