LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

new exhaust mod from oliver

Old 05-20-18, 03:31 PM
Tundrasaur
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tlin
Installed my doubles two days ago - what a difference!

The doubles are a tad louder than I was expectingI so I'm wondering if I'd prefer a single setup but have no desire to crawl back underneath just to sate my curiosity (they say if it's too loud, you're too old......I think I'm getting there). When I say "a tad louder", don't misinterpret this as being obnoxious - it's just louder than I thought it'd be but not at all unpleasant.

Overall - the sound itself is GREAT, installation is easy, very nice product. Well done!!!
Ill buy the set from you
Old 05-20-18, 04:01 PM
Tundrasaur
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any mpg increase or decrease using the singles?
Old 05-20-18, 05:07 PM
tlin
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tundrasaur
Ill buy the set from you
I'll ping you if I ever do take a set off. For now, leaving the doubles installed.
Old 05-21-18, 06:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

So, I'm considering trying these. Can somebody describe the sound from the exhaust when driving normally, cruising at speed, normal RPM takeoffs from traffic lights, etc?

I've watched all the videos, but its hard to get an accurate idea of sound from video, especially inside the car.
Old 05-21-18, 07:27 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Tundrasaur
Any mpg increase or decrease using the singles?
If any, it would due to be from your pushing the gas pedal just to hear the sound more.

In the world, - no. You'll do just fine.

I'm happy with my single stack setup.
Old 05-21-18, 12:53 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So, I'm considering trying these. Can somebody describe the sound from the exhaust when driving normally, cruising at speed, normal RPM takeoffs from traffic lights, etc?

I've watched all the videos, but its hard to get an accurate idea of sound from video, especially inside the car.
I'm interested in tracking your experience if you get these, Steve. I think we're on the same wave length because I asked very similar questions a few weeks ago- I was asking about the sound when driving the car gently and what the noise is like inside the car at speeds like 35mph, 55mph, and 80mph. Most folks who responded said you don't hear much difference at all inside the car when driving unless you accelerate hard.

I loved the sound of my S5 - I don't really want my LS to sound exactly like that but I think I want it to be slightly more substantial than what comes stock. I'd probably just go for the single add-on for my taste.
Old 05-22-18, 07:42 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj

A few guys were concerned about going through inspection and have the inspector fail them for the "original" Oliver exhaust vent..... This is why Jason is now doing the "stealth vents"
Ed Zachery!

Originally Posted by 3GSShoe
Anyone know if the OP's youtube video above is single or double stacked vents?
There's one of both as I recall. The one from under the car is a single. Then there's the video that goes back and forth from OEM to Exhaust Vents. Then there's a 3rd of doubles, I'm in my work clothes, and it is from the right rear of the car. However, none of the videos do justice to the sound, as most who own them would agree.

I'll try to find links to them, but if one searches for Oliver Enterprises Exhaust, you'll probably find those 3 videos, plus some other unrelated videos of my. I think I have a channel, but I'm so busy I get confused on whether to wind my butt or scratch my watch.

Tundrasaur - I don't claim any differences in hp or mpg. My engineering estimate is that there is no measurable difference in either. Only measurable difference is sound.
Old 05-22-18, 08:06 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SW17LS

That's because my videos just don't do the sound justice. I have a buddy here at work. He and I are going to make a video for these, a video that's "like" a commercial. But I have my oldest son about to graduate, my wife has turned into a human bobcat in the yard to get the yard and house ready. I'm doing good to keep up with her. Lots of yard work to do this week. This weekend will be spent by me trying NOT to rip a head off of one of several out-laws coming in for the graduation. I will be paying my friend rather substantially for his video work, because he can do good work, and I want this "commercial" to be decent ... that and he is unmotivated to help me otherwise (I don't blame him for that). And I want the sound to be something that does a better job of capturing it than I have managed to do.

But don't wait for the video (trust me). He and I are both B.A.H., and it will take longer than a weekend to create the "video" required. And then there's the editing.

Here's a shot at what you want to know. I would appreciate any owner's chiming in if they "hear it" differently.

First ... cranking - YUM. Salivating.

Driving Normally - Condition overly undefined.
Below about 55 mph, you'll hear it, and be glad to. Not loud, just right.
From 55 and above, like on the interstate - You may not hear it at all, but can when ascending a grade. Probably won't hear it with the radio on.
Cruising at Speed - Barely noticeable to not noticeable (depending your radio volume).

Normal RPM takeoffs - Noticeably pleasant with a little grin on your face.

Full RPM takeoff - Sounds mostly stock from inside. The vast majority of the exhaust and sound is pushed through the mufflers when there's as much pressure through the exhaust as happens at WOT. I've never heard a full throttle launch from outside though.

Slowing to a stop - Once below about 40 mph our so, you can hear a very nice sound of the engine slowing and shifting down ... makes you want to rev it, it sounds so nice!

Steve & jrmckinley - I'm not exaggerating, based on the cost of these (IMO ... cheap in comparison to any equivalent sounding option), you're punishing yourself by not having them. If I still worked at Toyota ... and if Toyota were to plan to drop the 5.0L V8 into the LS500, and held a meeting and demonstrated this mod for them, I'm betting they would steal, mimick, recreate, or maybe pay me off for the rights, to create the sound of these. It's that good.

One last note, and I'll end my dragging this out. My dad is 76. I took him for a ride in my LS to listen to this. The next time I came to his house (in my Camry, where I keep a stash of these to ship out "on the fly"), he said ... "Can I have a set of these?" As he picked up the box when we were getting out. How could I say no? He wants to try them in his Silverado pick-up. I looked under it. He does have a bolted flange. I will install them next time I'm there. However, I have my doubts that it will sound nearly as good on his truck. The point is ... he's 76 and doesn't go for such tom foolery ... but he wanted his pickup to sound like this after hearing it!

Jason
Old 05-28-18, 07:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Have you ever driven an LS400? The LS400 has a nice little V8 rumble that the LS460 doesn’t have, that’s sort of what I’m going for...
Old 05-29-18, 05:07 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Actually no. My next door neighbor has, or had one. I haven't seen it in a while. I'm thinking he sold it.
Old 05-31-18, 02:28 PM
krypto89
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

had the single stack installed for about a week so i can give a decent review. installation was easy, and by easy i mean that i paid $50 to have them installed at a muffler shop that is right next door to my daughter's karate classes. after installation, side effects include:

- starting the car before your passengers close their doors
- lowering the volume on your audio system during certain points of your drive
- slower accelerations from stop so you can hear the gurgling sound
- taking side streets towards your destination instead of taking the bee line route on the highway
- allowing someone else to get in the drivers side and drive the car around while you watch from the outside

if you are wanting the vents to make your LS460 sound like a mustang GT, you will be disappointed. but if you are looking for something that reminds you (and those who care) that you have a lexus V8, then this would be it.

the sound is not loud and not quiet at the same time. it will give your car a lower tone throughout all stages of the drive. some people will notice (my wife didn't notice, but my kids noticed the lower tone). as others have stated, you will not notice anything in cruise levels at higher speeds. only when you have to punch it is when you will hear it. from the interior, you will not hear any negative affects such as droning. all you will hear is the faint gurgle sound and the lower tone. i also do not think it affects gas mileage. my favorite part is the start up and the acceleration from stop.

overall, i am pleased with the vents. the amount you pay is nominal for what you will get in return. i don't regret getting the single stack instead of the double stack. however, if you have the extra cash and time, it might be wise to order a double stack and go down to a single stack if it is too much.

and lastly, as i was typing this, it started to sound more like a paid advertisement than a review. just wanted to let you know i paid full price for my single stack and cost for installation for a total price of $185. thank you jason for a great product!

Last edited by krypto89; 05-31-18 at 03:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AMACK (01-08-20)
Old 05-31-18, 03:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Allright, I'm gonna give em a shot!
Old 06-01-18, 07:53 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback krypto. It's good to hear various people's perspective.

Steve, you won't regret it.
Old 06-01-18, 08:11 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by krypto89
had the single stack installed for about a week so i can give a decent review. installation was easy, and by easy i mean that i paid $50 to have them installed at a muffler shop that is right next door to my daughter's karate classes. after installation, side effects include:

- starting the car before your passengers close their doors
- lowering the volume on your audio system during certain points of your drive
- slower accelerations from stop so you can hear the gurgling sound
- taking side streets towards your destination instead of taking the bee line route on the highway
- allowing someone else to get in the drivers side and drive the car around while you watch from the outside
This is hysterical. Well done! I remain intrigued by adding a single stack to my 460.
Old 06-01-18, 10:08 AM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

If you are on the fence, do it! It reminds me of a 60's muscle car done tastefully, a slight rumble especially at startup, but highway speeds hardly noticeable unless you hit it hard to pass. I did the double stack, was afraid it would be too loud, but not so. It gives it a mean sound, but in no way loud or obnoxious. Best bang for the buck mod there is if you appreciate hearing your V-8 like in the olden days, except for this one is a very smooth running motor! No amount of video or recording will do it justice, it is a very easy and reversible install, and if you don't like them someone on here will gladly take them off your hands. I bought 2, thinking if 2 was too loud I would sell one, and if I didn't like it at all I would sell both and probably get 75% of my money back. So at most the financial risk to me was $50. If your experience is like mine, the upside can't be accurately valued. What is a smile every time you start your car worth? What about the compliments and thumbs up you get from other car people? What about the looks you get from car people when you tell them that you did a little "custom exhaust venting" on your own? Some ramps, liquid wrench, and a socket set and 20 minutes time. Needless to say both sets of vents are still on the car, and the price now seems very minor. And if you are looking for tomb quiet operation, which some are, then you wouldn't still be reading this thread. Do it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new exhaust mod from oliver