LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

new exhaust mod from oliver

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 01:35 PM
krypto89
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

patiently waiting for the new stealth versions to come out. only reason i'm coming on the site nowadays is to see when the vents are available for purchase...
The following users liked this post:
kingbabu (04-15-18)
Old 04-13-18, 02:21 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
What's the sound level inside the car when driving at various speeds? How does the car sound at 35mph? 55mph? 75mph? I'm not talking about when you're accelerating at those speeds, but wondering how it sounds just "cruising" at those speeds at very low RPM.
jrmckinley - All the following is assuming the windows are up, air is on.

Standard Single Set:
  • 35 mph cruising: You might hear a bit of rumble.
  • 55 mph cruising: I doubt you will notice any additional sound.
  • 75 mph cruising: The only time you will hear it is if you pull a hill and push the throttle down some, and then ... maybe you'll hear a little something.

Double Stack Set:
  • 35 mph cruising: You'll hear a bit of rumble.
  • 55 mph cruising: You may notice some sound, but nothing that would be ANYWHERE NEAR obnoxious. Nominal radio music will drowned it out.
  • 75 mph cruising: You might be able to barely notice, but when you pull a hill and push the throttle down, you'll probably hear a little something, just so you'll know it's there. Radio again would drowned it out.
I hope some of the other guys will chime in. I wouldn't tend to not trust me if I were considering these, just from a biased standpoint.

My above analysis is just from experience. It may not be exactly right because I never took notes under the above circumstances. But suffice it to say ... I have experienced zero instances where the sound was not welcome.

krypto - I will keep you (and the forums) aware, when they're available. It should be in 2 to 4 weeks. I'm actually running the "test sample" Stealth Vents on my car. Same sound, with "nothing to see here!"
The following 2 users liked this post by Oliver Enterprises:
jrmckinley (04-13-18), Santa01 (10-04-20)
Old 04-13-18, 03:24 PM
EddieP1215
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Totally agree with poster above .I have the dual setup and it's not obnoxious whatsoever. He's 100% correct on his description. I was thinking about getting a custom exhaust and I'm so glad I didn't waste all that money for no reason. I'm satisfied and it's everything we describe it to be. Trust me you won't be disappointed. I'm able to talk on Bluetooth with no problem inside the car. No distraction at all.
Old 04-13-18, 04:29 PM
vb9594
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a single set on my '08. Nice rumble at idle and around town, absolutely no difference at highway speeds. You only hear the difference if you really hammer the gas.

Quiet at highway speed was a priority for me- these fit the bill.
jrmckinley (04-13-18)
Old 04-14-18, 03:46 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine are in route!
Old 04-14-18, 08:00 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos236
Mine are in route!
Where did you find that 50% off coupon?
kingbabu (04-15-18)
Old 04-14-18, 08:13 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm saving up my money so I can get some too.
kingbabu (04-15-18)
Old 04-17-18, 04:53 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine showed up Monday exactly as promised. Now have to put them on!
Old 04-17-18, 09:51 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I must admit that it does sound pretty nice. The vents go in between the midpipes (after the cats) and the mufflers so I don't know what "illegal" gas the above dude is talking about.

I also bought a single stack from Jason a couple months ago. And I finally had the vents installed last week at the muffler shop (cost $60). I jacked the car up and attempted to DIY, but I gave up and didn't want to go underneath the car. Luckily, I had the shop did the work since one of the bolts was seized and broke off.

When I told the muffler guy what I needed done, he said why don't you just drill a hole in the muffler instead. I told him umm no.

I should have gone with double-stack because of the ricer in me. I want to it louder!
Old 04-17-18, 04:41 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

TIP!!! Before installing these vents spray some Kroil or PB Blaster (penetrating oil) on the bolts so they come out easier THEN dab a little antiseize on the new bolt threads.

Whenever I work on anything that exposed to the elements or extreme temps I always squirt some Kroil on the fasteners the night before and it really works well on helping to remove them...... Nothing is worse than breaking off a bolt or stud in a hard to reach place.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 04-18-18 at 06:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Chuckinnj:
pho99 (10-20-18), roadfrog (04-17-18), Santa01 (10-04-20)
Old 04-17-18, 05:18 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
TIP!!! Before installing these vents spray some Kroil or PB Blaster (penetrating oil) on the bolts so they come out easier THEN dab a little antiseize on the new bolt threads.
Indeed, that's exactly what I did as well.
Outofspec (01-26-19)
Old 04-18-18, 07:37 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

None of the recent posts mention the best part... starting the car... all I can say is “fwooooooooooom!”
Old 04-19-18, 05:21 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

I'm not sure about single (Exhaust Vents), but on doubles, when slowing and the throttle has been off for a while (like 4 seconds or longer) and the rpms have come down to the 2,000 rpm or less, and the FWOOOOOooooom, can be heard, if the throttle is gently touched, the cutest little crackle can be heard. It's just a single crack, but it sounds so SWEET. It's kind of like the engine is saying, "I'd make a helluva racecar engine too!"

The cool thing is, the car does this crackle from the factory. But it cannot be heard through the mufflers.
Old 04-19-18, 09:04 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Have you heard of anyone actually not passing inspection with these on?

i was curious if people commenting about inspections issues are “might happen” or a “this happened to me.”
Old 04-19-18, 10:16 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

No. Noone has mentioned these ever being brought up at an inspection. But I have had a guy do an inspection with these on (and posted in here in the forums somewhere about it) and they were not noticed. But that doesn't mean no inspector would notice ... some might. If an inspector did notice, and knew what the Exhaust Vents were doing, he would probably move on to something that mattered.

Another advantage is, if a person were very concerned these would be noticed (won't be noticed with the Stealth Exhaust Vents), take 10 minutes to remove them, do the inspection, and then 10 minutes to put them back on. After the original bolts are removed, the new bolts included should come out with no problems. Worst case, if an inspection were failed because of these, remove them, go through inspection again, put them back on after. Not a big deal.

I had a 1993 RX-7 that every year I had to jack it up, remove a large section of the exhaust, and put the original section back in that included the catalyst, muffler and connection for the smog pump. Then I had to put the OEM ECU back in the car. It would not pass emissions any other way. Now that, was a PITA. But I did it for many years. It was a Honda Civic with the cat, muffler and OEM ECM installed. It was a big nasty tire shredding monster with the straight pipe and aftermarket ECU. In comparison to that, removing and installing Exhaust Vents are like removing and installing a music CD into the audio system. So easy.

Quick Reply: new exhaust mod from oliver