LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

best way to mirror iphone or music

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 04:18 PM
randytoor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to mirror iphone or music

There's so much info i'm not sure where to start........... 2008 LS600. What's the best way to either mirror my iphone or at least get music playing through the factory system. Thanks for any info or links where to look.
Old 01-17-18, 04:29 PM
randytoor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this, looking/searching through the forums. https://www.vaistech.com/product/sl3b-l/ is that the best and easiest right now?
Old 01-17-18, 06:16 PM
AIRFLO
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I plug my phone in and hit the axu button I can play music but I have to be plugged in
Old 01-17-18, 06:48 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

There is no bug free device for mirroring. If you want music though, that can be had with the SL3B from Vaistech. I have it in my vehicle and works as advertised with no drama. Crystal clear sound.
The following users liked this post:
randytoor (01-17-18)
Old 01-17-18, 11:04 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by AIRFLO
If I plug my phone in and hit the axu button I can play music but I have to be plugged in
where do you plug the phone in?

Does it work with a Samsung ?
Old 01-18-18, 04:59 AM
HondaChuck
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

In your center armrest there is an Aux plug. You'll need a wire that has a headphone jack at both ends. I use an aftermarket blackberry bluetooth receiver in my armrest that is powered by the DC plug )also in that armrest) and that is plugged into the Aux plug. Every time I start the car my phone automatically connects to this bluetooth and streams wirelessly to the stereo. It sounds great and is easy to change the source (iTunes, siriusXM, podcast) on my phone or my apple watch.
1WILLY1 (01-21-18)
Old 01-18-18, 06:15 AM
AIRFLO
Driver School Candidate

I just use aux plug in console with my I Phone cord. All I did was hit aux button on radio and my music would play once I started it on my phone. I did notice yesterday that if I'm plugged in playing music and I get a call the bluetooth did not work.
The bluetooth works fine making and receiving calls as long as I'm not plugged in.
1WILLY1 (01-21-18)
Old 01-18-18, 06:45 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I have an 08 LS460. I bought an inexpensive mini plug male to male. It plugs into the mini jack inside the console. I have an iPhone 6S. I listen to podcasts and various music apps through my sound system all the time. It doesn't show on the display, but I just keep the screen on maps and rock on.
Old 01-20-18, 05:25 AM
AIRFLO
Driver School Candidate

Yesterday on the way home from work I plugged my phone in to play music. I received a phone call that came through the radio. That is the first time that has happened. It has only worked in the past with Bluetooth.
also noticed after the call that the music I was playing showed up on the display. Song and artist.
going to play around with it some more today to see if I changed something
hope it stays that way
Old 01-20-18, 07:01 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

also noticed after the call that the music I was playing showed up on the display. Song and artist.
Year of your car? FYI...also a good idea to post that info in your signature.
Old 01-20-18, 02:47 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

For use with an iPhone (CarPlay) I find the GROM VLine to be excellent. They should have a VL2 model out soon with a faster processor and more memory, so may be worth the wait for if you like the solution. This thread has more details:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-vline-55.html
Old 01-20-18, 04:35 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I find the GROM VLine to be excellent
OP will need to research this very carefully, as many (if not all), users have had numerous buggy issues with it. You are the only user I can think of, that has been fully satisfied.
Old 01-20-18, 06:35 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
OP will need to research this very carefully, as many (if not all), users have had numerous buggy issues with it. You are the only user I can think of, that has been fully satisfied.
Hey RoadFrog! I certainly agree with you on the need for research, ... the GROM Vline thread is a long brutal read.

Let me explain further. Satisfaction of it dependent on your objective, and on having a proper installation with current firmware. My satisfaction is based on the cars in my signature connected to an iPhone 6S using CarPlay. I don't use any of its other features, so I don't notice or care if they work perfect. If anything, VLine's problem is that it offers too many features, and works on too many cars and with too many phones to be stable for everyone. I can see how the thread might lead you to believe it to be a buggy mess, since rarely do users chime in to say, "still loving it", but there are more than just me that do. It is a great thread to know where bugs exist and when there is a fix. For example, the upgrade to Apple iOS 11.2 caused issues that GROM corrected with a firmware update. For those that are tech savvy enough to apply updates, and that want modernization of their 10 year old audio system it is a good choice. For those that only wanting a way to stream music via bluetooth, it may not be. Definitely research all options.
Old 01-21-18, 05:11 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Hi KYLS,
It's good to know GROM works well for your needs. But I am a bit confused by how you are using it. Why would you use it with Apple Carplay? I thought the whole point of the GROM interface was that it implements its own system to mirror the phone so that any app such as Google Maps and Waze can be mirrored. By running Carplay through the GROM, aren't you losing out on this since you can use only Apple Maps?
Old 01-21-18, 11:46 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi KYLS,
It's good to know GROM works well for your needs. But I am a bit confused by how you are using it. Why would you use it with Apple Carplay? I thought the whole point of the GROM interface was that it implements its own system to mirror the phone so that any app such as Google Maps and Waze can be mirrored. By running Carplay through the GROM, aren't you losing out on this since you can use only Apple Maps?
Exactly. That was kind of my point. I was pretty excited at the prospect of using this unit AS ADVERTISED. Unfortunately, it falls far short.

Quick Reply: best way to mirror iphone or music