LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Long Distance Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 11:00 AM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Long Distance Purchase Questions

I am interested in how others have executed long distance purchases.

To date, all of the LS460's that meet my most basic criteria are located hundreds of miles away from me. This makes it a bit difficult to inspect, test drive and negotiate a deal.

I assume others have solved this before and I would like to hear from them.
  • How have you handled PPI's. Have the dealers been willing to take the vehicle to another shop for you or do they just blow you off?
  • How do you handle test drives before making the trip to execute the purchase? Have you been able to find fellow CL members who are willing to do that?
  • When doing this long distance, do you only work with Lexus dealers?
  • How do you handle non-Lexus dealers? Just get the best deal and not worry about misc. fixes after the sale?
  • Are you starting the dialog with the dealer/owner and when you feel comfortable enough, getting on a plane and spending a day or so getting a PPI and test driving before inking the deal?
  • I can budget the time to do the above but would like to make sure I have pre-qualified the car as much as possible.
And then there is the probability that I am over thinking this, dunno.

I am probably the saleman's best "Mark" as I have been involved with relationship based selling my entire career. The "Used Car" process is not quite that.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-08-18, 11:28 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Welcome to the club, I have to look longer distances because there is absolutely nothing near me too. LS's are pretty rare cars and few are desirable on the used car market, most of over priced too.

Most dealers don't want to do anything to help you when you are out of state, they just want you to spend all the money to fly out or drive out to test the car or do the PPI yourself and of course they won't even offer a month warranty. One car I am kind of looking at, the dealer said they lost the key for a buyer who drove 400 miles to pick it up, I am sure the buyer was absolutely furious.

I would try to get a CL member to take a look if you can, maybe someone can take it in for a PPI if the dealer refuses. You definitely want to try to get the best deal to prepare for the things that likely will need to be addressed shortly after the sale you may not even notice on a test drive, these cars are not cheap to work on if you use the dealership. A PPI and having someone look at it are really the only 2 things you can do for out of state buyers before making the trip or having it shipped to you and neither are exactly easy unfortunately in most cases.
The following users liked this post:
Luscombe8A (01-08-18)
Old 01-08-18, 01:02 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

You could definitely ask for assistance from fellow Club Lexus members on checking out a Lexus of interest that is too far for you to check out yourself. One of our members (Steve - SW15LS) did this for me on a used LS I was considering last year. He did a great job of giving the car a thorough look and test drive, and his keen attention saved me lots of time, money, and headache as the car he looked at was not nearly as nice in person as it had appeared online.

I'd be happy to assist any of our Club Lexus members if they find a car they're interested in around the Eastern Nebraska/Western Iowa area (I live in Omaha NE).

Good luck!
Luscombe8A (01-08-18)
Old 01-08-18, 02:13 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

How have you handled PPI's. Have the dealers been willing to take the vehicle to another shop for you or do they just blow you off?
  • Club Lexus has "Local Chapters and Regional Forums", check out the one where you are seriously thinking of buying a car. Post the details on the car and the dealer. Ask for feedback on the dealer and for a recommendation of a pro who can do a PPI. Some might let the car go off site, but it's not necessary, a competent PPI can be done at the dealer.
  • How do you handle test drives before making the trip to execute the purchase? Have you been able to find fellow CL members who are willing to do that?
  • Don't bother with a test drive. If you have a competent PPI done, there is no need for a test drive.When doing this long distance, do you only work with Lexus dealers?
  • How do you handle non-Lexus dealers? Just get the best deal and not worry about misc. fixes after the sale?
  • Yes.
  • Are you starting the dialog with the dealer/owner and when you feel comfortable enough, getting on a plane and spending a day or so getting a PPI and test driving before inking the deal?
  • Don't get on a plane until the deal is done and you are going out to drive the car back. Again, a competent PPI will give you the confidence to ink the deal.
  • I can budget the time to do the above but would like to make sure I have pre-qualified the car as much as possible.
  • Certainly if you want to test drive the car before actually test driving it, please do so if it gives you better peace of mind.
And then there is the probability that I am over thinking this, dunno.

Probably just a little bit!

Good luck and keep us posted.
Luscombe8A (01-08-18)
Old 01-08-18, 02:44 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Great info Paul, thank you!
I will post up shortly to see if I can get someone in the SE to make a visit for me.

Gary
Old 01-08-18, 07:17 PM
rick3242
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Good Luck on your search.
I was in the same position you are back in september. I flew up to NJ (one way ticket) from Raleigh just to get there and decide the car wasnt for me. It was clean and pretty much as advertised but it looked like they were hard miles. Ended up finding another one in PA three weeks later after I told myself I was not going to waste another day of vacation and hundreds of dollars on airfare. Glad I did not stop my next car was everything I wanted.

I had lots of conversations with the sales manager and asked him to walk the care and imagine he was buying it for himself. He was willing to do that, put it on a lift and take lots of pictures. I guess that if you find the right car and unless you are going to find someone to view it for you or pay someone like they do boats you are going to have to put some sort of faith into the people you are dealing with. Also remember that you can do the car facts and focus on single owner no accident cars with good service records.

The good thing about buying a 460 is that they cost over 70k new and I do not know many people that will purchase a 70k plus new car and not take care of it.

You can also purchase an aftermarket warranty from any lexus dealer if it is still under manufacture warranty and if not you can purchase one from almost any dealership.

Post pics once you get it.
Old 01-08-18, 07:52 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rick3242
Good Luck on your search.
I was in the same position you are back in september. I flew up to NJ (one way ticket) from Raleigh just to get there and decide the car wasnt for me. It was clean and pretty much as advertised but it looked like they were hard miles. Ended up finding another one in PA three weeks later after I told myself I was not going to waste another day of vacation and hundreds of dollars on airfare. Glad I did not stop my next car was everything I wanted.

I had lots of conversations with the sales manager and asked him to walk the care and imagine he was buying it for himself. He was willing to do that, put it on a lift and take lots of pictures. I guess that if you find the right car and unless you are going to find someone to view it for you or pay someone like they do boats you are going to have to put some sort of faith into the people you are dealing with. Also remember that you can do the car facts and focus on single owner no accident cars with good service records.

The good thing about buying a 460 is that they cost over 70k new and I do not know many people that will purchase a 70k plus new car and not take care of it.

You can also purchase an aftermarket warranty from any lexus dealer if it is still under manufacture warranty and if not you can purchase one from almost any dealership.

Post pics once you get it.
Gee Rick,

Thanks for the response, I am glad you found the car you were looking for.

I also see you live in NC, the car is in SC, right next door to you, it's about 45 minutes from Greenville... Just saying.

I do plan on speaking with the sales guy tomorrow. It is a two owner car with low miles, routine service records and color and options that I desire. Looks pretty clean from the photos.

I have posted a similar request for assistance in the SE regional group.
Going to take this a day at a time. I am sure there are other ones out there if I cannot land this one.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 01-09-18, 07:54 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

If you can't find a member close by, take a look online. My son found his car out west. He did some research online and found a company that sends someone out to inspect and drive the car. The guy gave him a laundry list of things he recommended either be repaired or negotiated. From there my son negotiated the car over the phone and had it shipped. He's very happy with his purchase.
Luscombe8A (01-09-18)
Old 01-09-18, 08:00 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Lemon squad checks cars out. That is the main one I have read about but I have read mixed reviews about them, some very negative, and they are pricey for what they do. I don't think they offer guarantees other then refunding the money you paid them.
Old 01-09-18, 08:16 AM
mikebrinda
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have only one thought:

I would rather pay the shipping for a car across the country from a dry, no/not much rain, no hale, no sleet, no ice, no snow, no flooding, locale (i.e. Southern California) than buy a car that may have endured such things but is geographically closer to where I live. Implied within this thought is another: I do not need to physically see or test drive the car, but I will insist on low mileage, maintenance history, and clean CarFax report. If possible, I would like to know a brief bit about the previous owner, because right or wrong, I will infer/takeaway something about driving habits, etc. Implied within this thought is another: if someone can direct you to an honest Lexus dealer salesperson, someone that has been employed at the same dealership for many years and has many existing clients with repeat trade-in business, that salesperson can be on the lookout for the precise car profile you are seeking. The fact they have a known buyer for a car may lower the sale price and help offset/offset the cost of shipping the car to you. PM me if you want to speak with such a SoCal-based salesperson.
Old 01-09-18, 09:52 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had good luck and bad luck with out of state purchases. A lot of dealers (non-Lexus) don't want to take the time to have one of their employees drive to Lexus and spend the day waiting for a PPI, or else send 2 guys to give the other one a ride back. Unless they are in to make a decent profit they won't be much help. Usually they tell me I can fly there and bring it for a PPI... so I'm already in $500 before Lexus has even put eyes on the vehicle.

While we have a lot of great members on here, bear in mind most of them will not have the knowledge/mechanical expertise to tell you something by getting on their hands and knees looking underneath that a certified Lexus mechanic on a lift would tell you. Usually when I buy a car out of state I will turn it into a small vacation, and I always use Southwest to fly so I can cancel my return flight if I do make the purchase and not lose my *** on getting screwed on a refund. Good luck!
Luscombe8A (01-09-18)
Old 01-09-18, 10:09 AM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mikebrinda
I have only one thought:

I would rather pay the shipping for a car across the country from a dry, no/not much rain, no hale, no sleet, no ice, no snow, no flooding, locale (i.e. Southern California) than buy a car that may have endured such things but is geographically closer to where I live. Implied within this thought is another: I do not need to physically see or test drive the car, but I will insist on low mileage, maintenance history, and clean CarFax report. If possible, I would like to know a brief bit about the previous owner, because right or wrong, I will infer/takeaway something about driving habits, etc. Implied within this thought is another: if someone can direct you to an honest Lexus dealer salesperson, someone that has been employed at the same dealership for many years and has many existing clients with repeat trade-in business, that salesperson can be on the lookout for the precise car profile you are seeking. The fact they have a known buyer for a car may lower the sale price and help offset/offset the cost of shipping the car to you. PM me if you want to speak with such a SoCal-based salesperson.
Thanks,
This is more inline with my relationship approach to buying an selling. I do not mind paying a bit more under this kind of arrangement. A $2k savings on the front end, getting that unicorn deal, is really nothing in compared to long term 10+ years ownership of a great dependable vehicle because it was represented accurately.

I have talked with my local Lexus Used Car Sales Manager. We will see where that teks me in time.

​​​​​​​Gary

Gary
Old 01-09-18, 10:18 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

If you want to get in touch with this Lexus salesman, check out his contact info attached to all his videos. He may be able to help you out with searching for dealer cars.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT_...FfpblGssjvNsqw
Old 01-13-18, 10:59 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
While we have a lot of great members on here, bear in mind most of them will not have the knowledge/mechanical expertise to tell you something by getting on their hands and knees looking underneath that a certified Lexus mechanic on a lift would tell you.
At the same time, some of us, when serious about shopping a particular car (not make/model, but money in-hand kinda thing), bring a floor jack, stands, chocks, creeper, flashlight, a "garage" shirt, gloves, hand cleaner, etc.

It's never been a problem...unless there's a problem the current owner would rather I not find, then they've just saved me a bunch of time and effort.

That's happened only one time, though it should have happened twice. The time it didn't happen, it was winter and too damned cold to be mucking about underneath.
Old 04-18-18, 08:42 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Well, I have completed a long distance purchase, 700 miles. It did not go down quite like I had planned; it all worked out fine but was a bit of an ordeal.

I flew to Wichita this morning and I am now a proud owner of a 2011 LS 460 Sport, Starfire White, ML & CP options with only 16k on the clock. It is like a new car. Also purchased a CNA VSC 7yr/84k so it is covered until 2025 & 100k. I believe I got a good deal on a great car. I bought it through an Elite Lexus dealer pretty much site unseen because of the model year and mileage. The price was blue book retail which for me was fine given the low mileage. Car fax was clean and Lexus service records complete.

I have been looking for one for the last 4-5 months, usually 4-6 hours a week looking online. I have cataloged and followed over 150, 2011-2013 460's on an excel spread sheet. The spread sheet allowed me to sort the cars by exterior, interior colors, model year, mileage, price options, etc.. It also let me track how long they were on the market. I found the clean ones priced at fair market values rarely lasted more than 2-3 weeks. When I saw this one online I immediately emailed the dealer, negotiated a deal and placed a down payment on the car. This vehicle had the lowest mileage of any I had cataloged and included RWD, ML & black interior, the only must have options. All other features were negotiable for me. The white color was my third choice. I like it but not my first choice.

I will post photos when I get it home tomorrow, maybe. Going from clear and 50 to snow and 30 in Wisconsin.

Many thanks to all on this forum who have helped answer my questions and given great advice. I would have avoided the air suspension if not for the input of a few here including references to the CNA warranty. Other than the Lexus Platinum, that is the only VSC that will cover the air suspension that I know of.

This has been a great day, thanks in part to this forum and the input provided.

Quick Reply: Long Distance Purchase Questions