LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2 remote starts on my LS460 LWB AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-17, 06:51 AM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2 remote starts on my LS460 LWB AWD?

Picked up my certified car two days ago. The Salesman was confused by the little remote connected to the Lexus fobs. He pushed it an nothing happened. He did remote start the car by the fob by pressing the lock button 3 times which is standard. I called the 1 800 number on the back of this remote and the recorded message said it is audiovox. Can anyone tell me how to see if an aftermarket remote start was added to the car by the original owner. Could he have not known the car already had a remote start. If I do have an aftermarket remote start should I have it removed or leave it where it is? I have a picture of the remote start connected to my fob but I can’t figure how to attach the picture.
Old 12-31-17, 07:03 AM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just hit the little picture icon and add your picture .
Old 12-31-17, 08:52 AM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Default Pictures now attached

Old 12-31-17, 12:26 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolph1
Picked up my certified car two days ago. The Salesman was confused by the little remote connected to the Lexus fobs. He pushed it an nothing happened. He did remote start the car by the fob by pressing the lock button 3 times which is standard. I called the 1 800 number on the back of this remote and the recorded message said it is audiovox. Can anyone tell me how to see if an aftermarket remote start was added to the car by the original owner. Could he have not known the car already had a remote start. If I do have an aftermarket remote start should I have it removed or leave it where it is? I have a picture of the remote start connected to my fob but I can’t figure how to attach the picture.

OK, this is my understanding, but I could be wrong. From your description, I would say your car has only one remote start device installed (the audiovox fob). My guess is that remote starter can be activated by the three press sequence on the Lexus fob. Any remote start device is an aftermarket product installed either by the Lexus dealer (as in my vehicle) or by a third party (as in your car). A car not equipped with a remote start device cannot be started remotely by the three press sequence.

Any recent Lexus vehicle can be started remotely using Lexus Enform remote start app (subscription required), and this method does not require a remote start device to be installed in the vehicle.
Old 01-01-18, 06:01 AM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

So what I found out it takes 3 presses of the one button remote pictured in this thread to start the car, similiar to what is needed when you start the car remotely from the Lexus fob. Not sure why I would ever need these so I’ll put them away for now. The car will turn off when you open the door after starting it with the one button remote, that is expected. I have a 2013 model year. Possibly if I ever got one of those smart wallet keys this one button remote would be useful. I am hoping this all works without the paid subscription. Since I purchased the car only a few days ago maybe a complimentary subscription was already started without my knowledge and that is why the remote start is working.
Old 01-02-18, 09:06 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

So what I found out it takes 3 presses of the one button remote pictured in this thread to start the car, similiar to what is needed when you start the car remotely from the Lexus fob. Not sure why I would ever need these so I’ll put them away for now. The car will turn off when you open the door after starting it with the one button remote, that is expected. I have a 2013 model year. Possibly if I ever got one of those smart wallet keys this one button remote would be useful. I am hoping this all works without the paid subscription. Since I purchased the car only a few days ago maybe a complimentary subscription was already started without my knowledge and that is why the remote start is working.

Please note that the remote start feature using the key fob is not subscription-based. It is a physical device installed in your vehicle. What I was referring to with the subscription is the ability to remote start your vehicle with the Lexus Enform App on your smartphone. That sends a cellular signal to start your car, and doesn't need the physical device needed to start using the keyfob.
Old 01-10-18, 11:24 AM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

To the left of rearview mirror
two little red dots can be seen in this picture
I did confirm that the dealer had a remote start installed in this car before they sold it as new. I signed up for the Lexus Drivers site and got to see all the dealer maintence done since the car was new- a must for anybody that owns a Lexus given the great information they have there for your specific car. I noticed this thing next to my review mirror today and did not see it in the owners manual. Does anyone know if this is for the remote start or is it somehow related to Safet Connect.

Last edited by Dolph1; 01-10-18 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Attached Pictures
Old 01-10-18, 11:35 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

what year is your car? Different years have different remote start features.

second.. is it possible that aftermarket remote is for another car that the original LS owner had? Somewhere in America there's a car owner who posted "Why does my car start by itself randomly?".....
Old 01-10-18, 11:44 AM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

That remote does work on this car with 3 presses, same as the Lexus FOB. I am just trying to figure out what the thing in my windshield is since I could not locate it in the owner's manual. Wondering if it is related to the remote start the dealer had installed.
This is a 2013 LWB AWD
Old 01-10-18, 11:52 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

To the left of rearview mirror
two little red dots can be seen in this picture
I did confirm that the dealer had a remote start installed in this car before they sold it as new. I signed up for the Lexus Drivers site and got to see all the dealer maintence done since the car was new- a must for anybody that owns a Lexus given the great information they have there for your specific car. I noticed this thing next to my review mirror today and did not see it in the owners manual. Does anyone know if this is for the remote start or is it somehow related to Safet Connect.
The device near your rear view mirror is some aftermarket part installed by someone. It is not related to Safety Connect. I am pretty certain it was not installed by the Lexus dealer as a remote start because my car doesn't have it, and I have a Lexus keyfob-controlled remote start installed by the dealer. Did you ask the dealer what brand remote start they installed? You can unplug the device and see if your remote start feature using either keyfob goes away. It could be a radar detector, but the mounting angle doesn't seem right.
Old 01-10-18, 12:00 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

That remote does work on this car with 3 presses, same as the Lexus FOB. I am just trying to figure out what the thing in my windshield is since I could not locate it in the owner's manual. Wondering if it is related to the remote start the dealer had installed.
This is a 2013 LWB AWD
That thing is the receiver for your Audiovox remote starter. Just grabbed this picture of the AudiovoxAPS51 remote starter, and you can see the device similar to yours. If you unplug it, your audiovox keyfob won't work.
Old 01-10-18, 12:05 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

LS's did not have the Lexus Enform Remote App (LER) until 2015.
2010 through 2014 could have had Lexus Remote Engine Start (RES) added
either at the Port or at the Dealer for $500. This uses the stock fob, no subscription.
These use the finicky three (3) quick press, hold the third technique mentioned above.

The limitation is that the range is quite limited, published as 80 feet, runs for 10 minutes,
can be repeated once for a total of 20 minutes. Shut off when you open the door.

The aftermarket fob and windshield antenna should have a much greater range,
some are 1/4 mile or more! You might try pressing the small fob just twice, press
and hold the second press. Some brands work that way. Try pressing the small
fob button one long press while it is running...should shut it down. Only limitation
is having the second fob to carry.
Old 01-10-18, 12:26 PM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Very helpful all. What I just did was call the third party that installed the remote start back in 2014. The installing company name was listed on the Lexus Owners site under my maintenance history as the Lexus dealer subbed out the work. They pulled up the job using my VIN and told me they installed a long range remote starter. They said is was made by a company called Directed. They said they put in a Directed FLCAN and a Directed FLRFI. They said they often install the long range remote starters since the ones included by car companies have such a short range.
Old 01-10-18, 01:14 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mcomer
LS's did not have the Lexus Enform Remote App (LER) until 2015.
2010 through 2014 could have had Lexus Remote Engine Start (RES) added
either at the Port or at the Dealer for $500
. This uses the stock fob, no subscription.
These use the finicky three (3) quick press, hold the third technique mentioned above.
The aftermarket fob and windshield antenna should have a much greater range,
some are 1/4 mile or more!
Very helpful all. They pulled up the job using my VIN and told me they installed a long range remote starter. They said is was made by a company called Directed. They said they put in a Directed FLCAN and a Directed FLRFI. They said they often install the long range remote starters since the ones included by car companies have such a short range.
Mcomer, my 2014 has the remote starter installed by the dealer. Are you saying that I won't be able to subscribe to the Lexus Enform Remote App to start my car? The app may have debuted in 2015, but you don't think it can remote start my 2014 with a subscription? I should give Lexus a call and get this clarified.
Edit: Just spoke to Lexus Enform rep. Mcomer, you are correct. The remote start app will not work with 2014 or older cars. Bummer since I was seriously considering a subscription.

Mcomer and Dolph, it's great to know that the 2nd fob controls a long-range remote start. There is still one potential problem. Does this keyfob give you any visual indication that the car has indeed started? If it doesn't, you will want to have the car in your line of sight to see whether the lights blink and the car starts after the three-press sequence. Yes, it could be farther away than with the Lexus-installed remote, but you have to be able to see the car nonetheless. This is not an issue with the Enform App-based starter.

Last edited by comotiger; 01-10-18 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-12-18, 06:35 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The aftermarket remotes are available a couple of ways, "One (1) Way" which the OP
has a picture of and "Two (2) Way" which usually has a slightly larger fob with a light
or clever graphic of a car puffing exhaust. You might check with Directed to see if a
2-Way fob will pair to the installed module. The 2-Way fobs give you positive confirmation
that the car is running.