LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2017 Lexus LS460 Normal or Abnormal Problems? Lemon?

Old 11-15-17, 09:33 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Lemon Laws vary by state but the spirit applies to "substantive defects". Unfortunately, other than the stalling which can't be reproduced, I don't think any of the OPs complaints qualify as "substantive" (but annoying, yes). Take the car to a different dealer - these issues can easily be fixed. Take their loaner until they are.
This is absolutely NOT normal. That winds noise will drive me nuts.

Some of you are lucky to have multiple Lexus dealers close by but I think the OP said he drove 70+ miles to the dealer. People, that's 1.5+ hours of driving, 3+ hours trip. Will Lexus comp you for these times to get the car fixed?
Old 11-15-17, 12:08 PM
alexsystem
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again that you all for the insight. A few things I’ve attached pictures of the sunroof seal as I committed to, a little late but they are here. When I dropped it off with the dealer yesterday a tech went for a test drive with me, we heard nothing of the noise. The tech suggested next time I hear the noise to touch the brakes, he said he has had multiple issues recently across the board on Lexus cars where the brakes will run and vibrate at high speeds, by touching the brakes it should stop the noise instantly. Since I haven’t had the warm fuzzy with this dealer in the past I elected to talk half day off of work and bring the car back today. On my way home last night the noise came back and I touched the brakes and the noise went away briefly and came back instantly after letting off the brake pedal. So the tech is probably right, I didn’t shave any speed I just touched the brakes a little harder than lighting up the lights. As for the running issues it didn’t surface during the test drive. I am sitting in the dealership while writing this. We’ll see what they come back with. But so far it seems like the brakes are making that noise.

Old 11-15-17, 12:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

That sunroof seal looks pretty normal to me. That particular seal is prone to fading and cracking, which doesn’t really affect its function just its appearance. Mine looks the same way. Dealer should replace it under warranty if it really bothers you.
Old 11-15-17, 01:01 PM
alexsystem
Driver School Candidate

I personally don’t see anything wrong with it either, however someone asked for a picture of it. I don’t know how Lexus uses this seal but on old Mercedes the seal didn’t do much it was more so to keep out large debris. The water to my knowledge would get through there are 4 channels in all of the pillars for the water to leak by around the sunroof and you got leaks of those channels were plugged.
Old 11-15-17, 02:54 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by alexsystem
Also my headliner has been getting pretty lumpy, I’m not sure if there is a sunroof leak or what. The dealer says they see the lumps in the headliner but they say that’s normal too.
Here's the cure for that, go look at the other LS cars on the lot and see if they have the same lumps. If they don't, then it's not normal.
Old 11-15-17, 04:22 PM
mahad
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Definetly not normal, especially for a new car. Completely ridiculous how this dealership is treating you.
Old 11-20-17, 09:23 PM
texaslocal
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems getting a response from the dealer. I’ve heard that California has some very consumer-friendly Lemon Law regulations. Even mentioning that you are considering filing a Lemon Law complaint when you speak to Lexus Corporate is enough to light a fire.
Old 11-25-17, 02:11 PM
Mekoz
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Update? Sorry im kinda intrigued on how lexus would deal with this. So for my experience with lexus has been far from good. I traded in my 2011 acura tl shawd with NO problem for a cpo fsport that now need a new roof liner cuz of wind noise and is going to cost me 120$ to do. They are going to cover the part but i have to cover labor(wtf!) I didnt even got a chance to make my first car payment yet and now I got to get this fix. ****ty ****,sorry for the rant.
Mike

This is how mine look.
Old 11-25-17, 07:09 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm late to the game, but I'm glad just touching the brakes was mentioned because that's what it sounds like to me.

Wind noise should be variable.
Old 11-26-17, 06:20 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Mekoz
Update? Sorry im kinda intrigued on how lexus would deal with this. So for my experience with lexus has been far from good. I traded in my 2011 acura tl shawd with NO problem for a cpo fsport that now need a new roof liner cuz of wind noise and is going to cost me 120$ to do. They are going to cover the part but i have to cover labor(wtf!) I didnt even got a chance to make my first car payment yet and now I got to get this fix. ****ty ****,sorry for the rant.
Mike

This is how mine look.
Your Lexus dealer is horrible if they refuse to replace your sunroof under warranty. You have a CPO car! I don’t understand why the dealer would not replace free of charge. Did you read the fine print on your warranty? Are you certain it is a standard CPO warranty? My sunroof was in far better condition (just cracked gasket) and they replaced it immediately. Go to another dealer! Good luck!
Old 11-27-17, 07:17 AM
alexsystem
Driver School Candidate

Good morning! So I wanted to give an update having my car back. The brakes took care of the whistling noise, however my headliner per Lexus is normal, they can’t duplicate the bumper noise and don’t feel as though there is anything wrong with my bumper and they can’t duplicate the engine running issues. However I was pulling out of the service drive when I picked it up and did it pulling out on to the street, scared me, lost power briefly the tachometer showed the engine rev up and then it came back to life. Has anyone had these running issues? I’ve been driving my old 2003 Solara with 270,000 miles because that experience scared me it having traffic coming at my side and losing power. As of right now it’s been about a week and I haven’t received any return calls or email from Lexus and my car is parked. I don’t want to pursue the lemon law option yet I just want my car fixed but who knows I may have to, it’s brand new I should be able to feel confident driving it. If anyone has had these same running issues and they were able to get it fixed your input would be valuable. That is where I am at though.
Old 11-27-17, 07:29 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

i really think you should get a GoPro or a Dash cam and install it so that it shows your front dash of the car also.

Perhaps then the dealer will believe you.

From the sound of things, sounds like you got a "Friday car"....... The robots/humans in Japan were rushing to finish your car build by 5pm before a holiday weekend.
Old 11-27-17, 08:43 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by alexsystem
Good morning! So I wanted to give an update having my car back. The brakes took care of the whistling noise, however my headliner per Lexus is normal, they can’t duplicate the bumper noise and don’t feel as though there is anything wrong with my bumper and they can’t duplicate the engine running issues. However I was pulling out of the service drive when I picked it up and did it pulling out on to the street, scared me, lost power briefly the tachometer showed the engine rev up and then it came back to life. Has anyone had these running issues? I’ve been driving my old 2003 Solara with 270,000 miles because that experience scared me it having traffic coming at my side and losing power. As of right now it’s been about a week and I haven’t received any return calls or email from Lexus and my car is parked. I don’t want to pursue the lemon law option yet I just want my car fixed but who knows I may have to, it’s brand new I should be able to feel confident driving it. If anyone has had these same running issues and they were able to get it fixed your input would be valuable. That is where I am at though.
Hi Alex, thanks for the update. Glad to know the whistling was the brakes and not the window. Too bad about the headliner. It looks odd in the photo, but maybe it is just the light. Did you tap the bumper for them and replicate the noise at the dealership? The running issues are worrisome, but if the diagnostics don't show any codes, it's hard to say what's going on. I suggest you visit a different dealer for all these outstanding issues, and see how they handle them. Good luck!
Old 11-27-17, 11:05 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
i really think you should get a GoPro or a Dash cam and install it so that it shows your front dash of the car also.

Perhaps then the dealer will believe you.

From the sound of things, sounds like you got a "Friday car"....... The robots/humans in Japan were rushing to finish your car build by 5pm before a holiday weekend.
That really doesn't happen, at least not in the past few decades. Many auto plants have 3 shifts and work the weekends so they are always running. No major auto manufacturer would allow "Friday" cars with worker related flaws/rushed incomplete jobs to keep leaving the plant and hurt quality and perception, if the workers get caught they would be disciplined and eventually be fired. Most issues with cars are not tied to the people who put them together as the process is normally straight forward and it is either done right or wrong and the next person down the line will see the incorrect job, they also have separate workers who inspect the cars to make sure everything was done correctly too. Most issues are tied to poor/flawed design/engineering of parts/vehicle, cheap materials that don't last or do the job, and in some cases poorly programmed robots that need finer tuning/programming.
Old 11-27-17, 12:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The “Friday Car” has s just a figure of speech.

Never heard of or had the drivability issues you’re describing...could that be a transmission flare or mis shift? I might try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins to clear out the shift points.
The following users liked this post:
joedaddy1 (03-21-18)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Lexus LS460 Normal or Abnormal Problems? Lemon?