LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2009 LS just went over 100k miles

Old 11-07-17, 09:06 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2009 LS just went over 100k miles

I recently hit 100k miles on my '09 LS (woo hoo). From those who have LS's of a similar vintage has anyone experienced significant repair issues between 100k and 150k miles? I'm wondering if this is a "hot" zone for costly repairs. Thanks.
Old 11-08-17, 04:38 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Congrats on 100K mark!. Sorry can't help with your question but regular and preventive maintenance will keep the car going past 200k. Good luck with many trouble free miles....
Old 11-08-17, 09:07 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The LS isn't perfect but its durable and reliable. Honestly I believe you shouldn't be concern about costly repairs after the 100k miles mark.
Old 11-08-17, 12:59 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Thanks everyone. I'm considering getting a third party bumper to bumper warranty that will cover me for 48k miles. I have a warranty company I've used before and has been very good so there's no risk of a shady policy. I'm just wondering if it would be worth it. They're charging $4700 for four years, 48k miles, bumper to bumper. So the question is whether I should expect to spend more than $4700 in repairs over the coverage period. Tough call.
Old 11-08-17, 02:15 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Warranties are a crap shoot. I honestly would not bother if you’re a diyer.
Old 11-08-17, 02:20 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Definitely a tough choice? Personally at that price it wouldn't be worth it to me.
Old 11-08-17, 03:25 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wayman28
Thanks everyone. I'm considering getting a third party bumper to bumper warranty that will cover me for 48k miles. I have a warranty company I've used before and has been very good so there's no risk of a shady policy. I'm just wondering if it would be worth it. They're charging $4700 for four years, 48k miles, bumper to bumper. So the question is whether I should expect to spend more than $4700 in repairs over the coverage period. Tough call.
make sure it covers suspension, specifically control arms. Also, If aftermarket control arm replacement cost $1500 at an Indy, why would you spend $4700 for warranty? Is water pump the original?
Old 11-08-17, 04:03 PM
Nospinzone

Received 405 Likes on 313 Posts

Well if you are really risk adverse, go ahead and buy it. However, I think it's a terrible deal. Your most expensive repair would be the control arms, and that would only cost a third of the warranty premium. The only other expensive thing is the nav unit, and I would check if that is even covered.
Old 11-08-17, 04:05 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm considering getting a third party bumper to bumper warranty that will cover me for 48k miles. I have a warranty company I've used before and has been very good so there's no risk of a shady policy. I'm just wondering if it would be worth it. They're charging $4700 for four years, 48k miles, bumper to bumper.
Just be mindful that "bumper to bumper" means different things to different people (and warranty companies). Be sure that it's an "exclusionary" warranty. That is, they specifically list everything that's NOT included - ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING else is covered with this kind of warranty..
The following users liked this post:
Gbp (11-08-17)
Old 11-08-17, 04:39 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 351 Likes on 242 Posts

At that mileage I'd probably expect to dump somewhere around $1500 to get my control arms replaced, and that should be about all you'll have to worry about till 200,000 miles.

But you never know, you could run into a water pump or even a brake actuator. But no, I don't see any catastrophic failures when you hit that mileage, it's not a BMW or Audi where the car would fall apart and cost you $25,000 in various repairs (believe me I've seen that at those mileage points).
Old 11-08-17, 06:20 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

Im at 135k miles (approx.) on my '08, and the only issue I had was a water pump and one control arm, mufflers and ball joint. By far, the most reliable car I've ever owned. Still runs strong and smooth and no issues anticipated. My water pump was 50 bucks and the mufflers were 500 dollars inc labor. I would never buy a warranty for this car...or any Lexus for that matter.
Old 11-08-17, 06:21 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Thanks for the advice. To clarify, the warranty I'm considering is a renewal of my current warranty. The company and the policy is legit and I've had nothing but good experiences with every claim I've filed so far. The trustworthiness of the company and the warranty policy is not in question for me.

My car has had a lot of issues beyond the common stuff. In the last three years I've filed claims in excess of $10k (all approved). The warranty has been a god send. In addition to the upper and lower control arms, I've also replaced all four air shocks, power steering rack, wheel hub bearing and some other stuff (all done at a Lexus dealership with OEM parts).

All of that work was done between 70k and 95k miles. So now I'm a little nervous that other stuff might fail on my car between 100k and 150k miles. It's not hard to rack up $4700 in repairs at a Lexus dealership over four years (at least it hasn't been for my car so far).

Part of my decision-making is emotional but the biggest part is the track record of my car.
Old 11-08-17, 06:59 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

I can definitely relate to your story. I have racked up over $15k in repairs and all covered under warranty on my '10 LS. I paid $1400 for 3/36 and it paid for itself several times over. My warranty expired over 2 years ago and besides regular maintenance I have had no problems. I was a little nervous also but with all the repairs covered under my warranty before it expired my LS should run good for a long time.
Old 11-09-17, 06:59 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for the advice. To clarify, the warranty I'm considering is a renewal of my current warranty. The company and the policy is legit and I've had nothing but good experiences with every claim I've filed so far. The trustworthiness of the company and the warranty policy is not in question for me.

My car has had a lot of issues beyond the common stuff. In the last three years I've filed claims in excess of $10k (all approved). The warranty has been a god send. In addition to the upper and lower control arms, I've also replaced all four air shocks, power steering rack, wheel hub bearing and some other stuff (all done at a Lexus dealership with OEM parts).

All of that work was done between 70k and 95k miles. So now I'm a little nervous that other stuff might fail on my car between 100k and 150k miles. It's not hard to rack up $4700 in repairs at a Lexus dealership over four years (at least it hasn't been for my car so far).

Part of my decision-making is emotional but the biggest part is the track record of my car.
One of the mis-conception in this forum is all it could fail in LS is control arm and air suspension. On my previous 2012, one air shock and engine mount were replaced under factory warranty. Who would have guessed engine mount?. I posted about these repairs here. Also, I believe blue tooth and satellite radio stopped working on that LS. I found that out by connecting same exact two phones with 2014 LS. If I had kept the car longer, would have fixed that using extended warranty.

On my 14LS, height control module was replaced under factory warranty. I believe cost was around $1500. When it comes to extended warranty, I prefer peace of mind and would buy one especially on LS. When one has such extended warranty, we tend to find issues and address them as it comes. As an example a click sound could be ignored or checked by mechanic and appropriate service can be done. One can drive with click to the point of no return and go with non-OEM route to repair. I am strictly a OEM part guy. Heck, just few days back replaced ES engine mount (18 yrs old) with OEM. Right or wrong, that's what I prefer and go with that.

Thats all being said, if you are a type of person who is willing to take chance/risk and get the repair done only when you are forced to, that too with non OEM parts and independent mechanics or dyi, I wouldn't buy warranty.

BTW, which dealership do you use for your warranty work?. Noticed you are in NJ.
Old 11-09-17, 07:06 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by satiger
One of the mis-conception in this forum is all it could fail in LS is control arm and air suspension. On my previous 2012, one air shock and engine mount were replaced under factory warranty. Who would have guessed engine mount?. I posted about these repairs here. Also, I believe blue tooth and satellite radio stopped working on that LS. I found that out by connecting same exact two phones with 2014 LS. If I had kept the car longer, would have fixed that using extended warranty.

On my 14LS, height control module was replaced under factory warranty. I believe cost was around $1500. When it comes to extended warranty, I prefer peace of mind and would buy one especially on LS. When one has such extended warranty, we tend to find issues and address them as it comes. As an example a click sound could be ignored or checked by mechanic and appropriate service can be done. One can drive with click to the point of no return and go with non-OEM route to repair. I am strictly a OEM part guy. Heck, just few days back replaced ES engine mount (18 yrs old) with OEM. Right or wrong, that's what I prefer and go with that.

Thats all being said, if you are a type of person who is willing to take chance/risk and get the repair done only when you are forced to, that too with non OEM parts and independent mechanics or dyi, I wouldn't buy warranty.

BTW, which dealership do you use for your warranty work?. Noticed you are in NJ.
Thanks. I go to Lexus of Route 10 in East Hanover, NJ. They're very good. I went to Lexus of Englewood a couple of times and had a terrible experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 LS just went over 100k miles