LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Including depreciation , how much is it costing you to enjoy your LS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17, 09:02 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
The overall cost of ownership for my 2008 LS600hL was considerably higher than the numbers I'm seeing others report here.

I purchased the 600hL in June of 2014 as a CPO car from McGrath Lexus in Chicago. It had 58K miles, and I paid $43K for it (which was a decent deal at the time).

I drove the car lightly and took great care of it for the 3 years I owned it. When I was ready to trade in for a newer model in July of 2017, the 600hL had 83K miles on it and was as clean as the day I bought it. I was offered $18,500 in trade for the car from my Lexus dealer. I cross-shopped the trade-in across a few other dealers and checked NADA, KBB, and Edmunds to find that the true value of the car really was $18,500.

So for my 3 years of ownership, I suffered depreciation of $24,500 (> $8K per year). This was definitely much higher than I had anticipated when I purchased, but I realize I was the "perfect storm" for depreciation (buying at full CPO Retail price and selling at Dealer Trade-in value). The local Lexus dealer still has the car sitting on its lot for sale (4 months later). They are asking $25K, which isn't unreasonable, I suppose, but they haven't had any takers at this price, so it's hard to tell what the actual market will bear for a 10-year old ultra-lux car with aging hybrid batteries.

I'm extremely happy with the Genesis G90 I am now leasing, and am very happy that in 3 years I can walk away with no worries of excess depreciation. I don't really regret owning the 600hL -- it was a fantastic car, and I know you have to "Pay to Play" in this market.
Yea that's why I almost never deal with dealers , you paid high retail and then sold for wholesale , that was a pretty big loss.

The only thing I'm angry about is the fact that I was so in love with the idea of owning and L , and I waited so long for one, that when mine came on the market I essentially bought it blind.

Although I didn't overpay in terms of the market value , I know I could of gotten at least $2000 or $3000 knocked off the price if I had taken a closer look at it first before I made my offer.
Old 11-11-17, 09:05 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

No matter what you buy (TV, home, car, boat), there will ALWAYS be a better deal that could have been had somewhere. You have to be happy with what you bought and that you didn't go in over your head finance-wise or get a lemon - THAT'S where remorse can be overwhelming. If you enjoy your car and it's not destroying you financially, I wouldn't be worried about it.
Old 11-12-17, 09:55 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by SedanFeels
Well this is a depressing thread title isn't it! Makes me want to go drive a Geo metro..
It also comes down to....Who really cares ? Yea, Yea, I know if you only make XX per year, and your buying a car that is XXX you can have problems and the TRUE cost of the car is a MAJOR factor but, there is a level a pleasure you get in driving, some cars more than others.

I was shopping for a 2013-2014 and the wife and I discussed buying a home(that we got a GREAT RATE and really good deal) and with my 2001 LS430 needing some work, I decided to move to a 2007, It was fairly inexpensive, runs nice, in very nice shape and is a pleasure to drive. My monthly note is a LOT less than I would pay on a lease for a new Camry and it will be paid off in a year or 2... I see it not a major depreciation as after 5 years, it wont be worth a lot but, I have had the pleasure of driving this car for that time for very little money. A car is NOT an investment (unless your buying a major specialty model) but, you can cut depreciation to a point by buying a 3-4 year old model, as the BIGGEST depreciation happens in the first 2-3 years of the car, and it levels off..

When the 5 year window is up, I will look towards another car...