LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Trans drain & fill vs a flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-17, 02:03 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Trans drain & fill vs a flush

Alright, so I am a little confused here.

First, my understanding is that our cars do not have a means to "flush" a transmission in the normal sense and that what's involved in the service is that the fluid is drained and then filled to a proper level while maintaining certain parameters (e.g., proper temp, hooked up techstream, etc.).

Calling dealers around to get pricing on the service, some dealers are quoting me a usual $160-$190 to do the drain and fill where, as I described above, they say the fluid is drained and then refilled. But, a few of the dealers that I have called fave been adamant that what they do is not a simple drain & fill, but a complete flush where they hook up "a machine" to the transmission cooler and flush the fluid that way.

So with that, can someone please enlighten me as to whether our cars have a trans cooler and whether such a flush is possible, of if I am being fed a bunch of BS. PS, the so-called "flush" is being quoted as a $230-$290 service (depending on the dealer).

Thanks
Old 10-27-17, 03:01 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Yes they have a transmission cooler and yes a full flush is absolutely possible. Every drop of that fluid can be removed and replaced with a fluid exchange machine. It's just a matter of IF you want to do it that way.

But if I'm having a complete fluid exchange done I'd only take it to a Lexus or Toyota dealer because then you'd have a better chance of them using the right type of fluid. Something that is not even close to being guaranteed at an ndepemdent because their machine will have had many different types of fluid flushed through it, there will be cross contamination.

Last edited by Doublebase; 10-27-17 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-27-17, 03:24 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info. These are Lexus dealers that I have been calling.

I find it interesting that some dealers offer this type of a flush and others do not.

Is there are reason to pick one service over the other?
Old 10-27-17, 04:21 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I find it interesting that some dealers offer this type of a flush and others do not.
That may be because they worry about potential issues from pressure systems type machines. The proper method (according to Toy/Lexus), is a simple drain and flush which meets warranty requirements here in Canada where transmission flushes are required. Only the US market says that the fluid is "lifetime". And as Doublebase said, having the dealer do this job is the only way to go, as they will use WS (World Standard) fluid. Who knows what "Joe-Bob's Handy Lube" will use. While doing a drain and fill will only remove part of the total fluid capacity, it is enough to replenish the fluid and top off additives in that fluid replacement

Last edited by roadfrog; 10-27-17 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-27-17, 06:04 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

A concern with older vehicles is that a "flush" will dislodge particles and grunge from crevasses here and there and that these may plug something up (eg a solenoid). This has been a particular problem with older RX300s. I've had my RX transmission flushed and had no such problems. I might get my LS transmission flushed at around 50-60k.
Old 10-29-17, 04:36 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I think really the only problem nowadays with an exchange machine is that you are replacing all of the fluid with new fluid, and new fluid has cleaning detergents in it, that's a lot to introduce to some transmissions (especially if it's a high mileage unit that is dirty inside). Then there's a chance something could be possibly clogged when it frees up. There's also a chance that the fluid may have small amounts of clutch material (grit) in the fluid that the transmission is relying on, but both of these examples are for higher mileage units. As long as the unit doesn't have excessively high mileage - and they are using the right fluid with no additional special cleaners or flushing additives - I think these machines are fine. But you have to make sure that's what they're doing because if you take it to the wrong place they'll use a universal fluid, sell you a cleaner, then flush your tranny out and put the wrong stuff in there, then you may run into problems.

Personally I'd just do a simple drain and fill once a year for the next few years to slowly introduce that new fluid and gradually get all that old fluid out. I've never had a problem doing this.
Old 10-29-17, 05:59 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I did flush with my LS last week or so. The dealer used BG machine which I am familiar with since I have used BG machine on ES as well. Cost is $290. They first use BG cleaning agent through the machine and circulate few times. Then drain every bit of fluid that remain in pan etc and fill in through the machine. Since these cars uses WS fluid, its worth spending $300 or so for every 80-100k miles.