LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Key: cut and program?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-17, 05:32 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts
Exclamation Key: cut and program?

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2013- however it only came with one key remote.
How much would it be fore getting a new key remote (that includes the detachable key within) and getting it cut as well as programed at the dealership? I know pricing is through the roof usually and I try to avoid dealerships whenever possible. I would just like to make a more informed decision first.

Not sure if there is an alternative route to this, or what steps can be taken since this has a push button start and not the actual manual ignition cylinder for a key to be inserted to.

I tried to search but fell short, thank you much in advance.
The following users liked this post:
JeromeWill (06-08-20)
Old 10-22-17, 06:07 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The dealer will charge about $25 to cut the key (unless you have a particularly friendly dealer). Don't know about reprogramming the remote.
Old 10-22-17, 06:25 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

OP, find a local auto locksmith. They will program new Lexus key fob (available on Amazon) and cut mechanical key for less than $200 total compared to over $300 at dealership. Check this thread for details.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...questions.html
Old 10-25-17, 11:04 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by comotiger
OP, find a local auto locksmith. They will program new Lexus key fob (available on Amazon) and cut mechanical key for less than $200 total compared to over $300 at dealership. Check this thread for details.

Comotiger, thanks for this.
I searched around late last night and came across a few auto locksmiths in my area, with one narrowed down. He quoted me 250 for cut and program and providing the fob (same style as my current 2013 fob) - so we shall see how that goes. Crossing fingers. Definitely cheaper than the price quoted from me by Lexus down the street.
Old 10-25-17, 01:05 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Comotiger, thanks for this.
I searched around late last night and came across a few auto locksmiths in my area, with one narrowed down. He quoted me 250 for cut and program and providing the fob (same style as my current 2013 fob) - so we shall see how that goes. Crossing fingers. Definitely cheaper than the price quoted from me by Lexus down the street.
You are welcome. Glad to hear you found a cheaper route. It will work fine. I bought a smaller Lexus fob with all the same functions for $160 programmed and cut. I was quoted $240 for an exact replica in March 2016, so your locksmith is good. The dealer quoted over $400 for the same
Old 10-25-17, 01:38 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

You are welcome. Glad to hear you found a cheaper route. It will work fine. I bought a smaller Lexus fob with all the same functions for $160 programmed and cut. I was quoted $240 for an exact replica in March 2016, so your locksmith is good. The dealer quoted over $400 for the same
$160 is a great deal imho. I mean the $250 isn't too bad either I suppose, and he has great reviews on Yelp so fingers crossed. I just couldn't justify the dealer cost for this, I mean stealerships are well known but wow, that's just highway robbery.

Thanks again, this relieves me of my OCD and anxiety that I already naturally have when it comes to automobiles I owe you a brew.
Old 02-20-19, 04:54 PM
MLRjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My other car is a Porsche and it came with only one key. I surfed the inter webs for a week and the cheapest I could do it was $580. Dealer wanted $80 more dollars. Ridiculous. I only have one for my LS......ain't getting another one!
Old 02-20-19, 06:41 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

Unprogrammed fobs are available on Ebay for less than $100. Techstream software and cable (which are useful for far more than just keys) can be had for less than $30. Program your own key fobs and save. It's not that difficult at all. Many of us here have done it.
Old 02-20-19, 06:56 PM
MLRjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What else does TechStream do for me?
Old 02-20-19, 08:07 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

For the cutting of the metal key, look for "1010keys" on eBay. I just bought one from them last week for $12 shipped.
Old 02-22-19, 02:05 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lots of folks out there can program a fob that is previously unassigned, I had much better luck w techstream once I had my used fob wiped clean.
Old 02-24-19, 07:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Many dealerships cannot actually cut the new one sided keys that are in these fobs, only the old double sided key blades.

I had mine cut for my wallet key at a locksmith and it cost about $50. Dealer programmed the key for $50.
Old 11-12-19, 04:28 AM
MadisonJe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for your advice, i will surely take help from nearest locksmith to program Lexus fob for me.
Old 11-16-19, 02:39 AM
WoodyTx
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2013- however it only came with one key remote.
How much would it be fore getting a new key remote (that includes the detachable key within) and getting it cut as well as programed at the dealership? I know pricing is through the roof usually and I try to avoid dealerships whenever possible. I would just like to make a more informed decision first.

Not sure if there is an alternative route to this, or what steps can be taken since this has a push button start and not the actual manual ignition cylinder for a key to be inserted to.

I tried to search but fell short, thank you much in advance.

The very first thing you should do is go by your Lexus dealer and talk to the used car manager- he has vendors that service his used car trade-ins and auction cars that he is going to sell on his lot! I just bought a 2007 LS460 and I got the vendor that handles keys/ key fobs to get me a second key fob/key/ programming for 140 cash!
This goes for cracked windshields, paint touch ups, rim repair, etc.
if the manager is worth his weight in gold, he should be able to give you a list of vendors that service his Lexus brand! Just keep in mind, get his vendors names/numbers and deal with them directly! No reason to have him in the middle of your business trying to get a slice of your wallet!
Old 05-13-20, 05:50 AM
EliOwen11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But in case of locked keys in car, you must hire anyone of them. A locksmith or the dealer as they can only unlock the door without damaging the lock.

Quick Reply: Key: cut and program?