slippery tires, 60mph in rain on highway - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

slippery tires, 60mph in rain on highway

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-17, 08:31 AM   #1
texas008
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: texas
Posts: 288
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default slippery tires, 60mph in rain on highway

2009 LS460 RWD, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 with 4/32 tire tread depth,
when driving ~60 mph on highway today, with moderate rain and some water puddles on highway, felt tires slipping almost every few seconds,
VSC was not triggered, slipping distance maybe around 1 inch,
before the rain on dry road the same tires had perfect traction.

while lots of other trucks, SUVs & cars had no problems in the rain passing by quickly.

guess the contributing reasons:
* 4/32 tread depth
* RWD
* heavy curb weight of LS460
texas008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 09:10 AM   #2
mckellyb
Lead Lap
 
mckellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 466
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Default

The primary reason is tread depth, or rather, the lack of tread depth.

I've been at or below 1/8" on the front Pirellis for a couple of months, now, and admittedly, the VSC computer gets a workout on certain roads.

To be honest, the generally accepted wear limit of 2/32 is absurdly 'thin'. I know, I know...pot...kettle.... It's been summer in Texas, tread is optional, most days.

Driven wheels and weight have nothing to do with it. If anything, added weight should make it slightly less-prone to hydroplaning, which is what's happening.

I'm ordering up some Continental DW tires in the OEM size, five of them, today, maybe this weekend, because the past couple of rain storms have been, um, interesting. Supposed to rain today/tonight/tomorrow, which I'm not looking forward to.

Also, just because it appeared nobody else had a problem doesn't mean they didn't. 99% of the driving public is brain-dead when it comes to vehicle behavior.
mckellyb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mckellyb For This Useful Post:
texas008 (10-20-17)
Old 10-20-17, 09:24 AM   #3
texas008
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: texas
Posts: 288
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

thanks a lot for the information, answered many of my questions.
yes seems heavy rain coming to Houston this weekend, not very friendly to the LS.
texas008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 10:12 AM   #4
SW15LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW15LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 20,425
Thanked 209 Times in 183 Posts
Default

Has nothing to do with the LS, your tires are just worn out. Nothing to do with AWD or weight, an AWD LS would have been the same way. I always replace tires at 4/32nds because thats when I start to feel the sorts of things you describe.

Take this as a nudging that you need to replace the tires.

And I'm sure to people out there seeing you, you weren't having a problem either.
SW15LS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SW15LS For This Useful Post:
texas008 (10-20-17)
Old 10-20-17, 10:20 AM   #5
mjeds
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,720
Thanked 103 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Over inflation of the tires will also make them prone to slippage. What are your cold tire pressures (cold meaning the car has been sitting for at least 6-8 hours).

But it I agree with the others, the tires are due. Fresh rain, oil slick road, low tread = spin out.
mjeds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjeds For This Useful Post:
texas008 (10-20-17)
Old 10-20-17, 10:28 AM   #6
texas008
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: texas
Posts: 288
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

thanks for the info,
its getting cooler in Houston,
so I just inflated all 4 tires 2 days ago, to cold pressure 35~36 psi.
will soon get a new set of tires at Discount Tires, either Pirelli P7 or Pilot sport AS 3+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeds View Post
Over inflation of the tires will also make them prone to slippage. What are your cold tire pressures (cold meaning the car has been sitting for at least 6-8 hours).

But it I agree with the others, the tires are due. Fresh rain, oil slick road, low tread = spin out.
texas008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 10:38 AM   #7
texas008
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: texas
Posts: 288
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Thanks a lot for the info.
Yes its time to get a new set of tires (27k miles on the current set of Michelin Pilot sport AS3)
I'm always amazed that my GX460, with original bridgestone tires and ~ 5/32 of tread depth, can go through puddles of water with all 4 wheels firmly planted on the ground. Guess the GX must have a much better 4wd system than the LS, and different type of tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW15LS View Post
Has nothing to do with the LS, your tires are just worn out. Nothing to do with AWD or weight, an AWD LS would have been the same way. I always replace tires at 4/32nds because thats when I start to feel the sorts of things you describe.

Take this as a nudging that you need to replace the tires.

And I'm sure to people out there seeing you, you weren't having a problem either.
texas008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 11:46 AM   #8
SW15LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW15LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 20,425
Thanked 209 Times in 183 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas008 View Post
Thanks a lot for the info.
Yes its time to get a new set of tires (27k miles on the current set of Michelin Pilot sport AS3)
I'm always amazed that my GX460, with original bridgestone tires and ~ 5/32 of tread depth, can go through puddles of water with all 4 wheels firmly planted on the ground. Guess the GX must have a much better 4wd system than the LS, and different type of tires.
Has nothing to do with 4WD. 4WD isnít helping you at all in that situation. The GX has more SUV oriented tires with more siping, beefier tread.

And as you said above, your LS is RWD, so how could it have anything to do with the GX having a better 4WD system than the LS?!
SW15LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 12:10 PM   #9
texas008
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: texas
Posts: 288
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW15LS View Post
Has nothing to do with 4WD. 4WD isnít helping you at all in that situation. The GX has more SUV oriented tires with more siping, beefier tread.

And as you said above, your LS is RWD, so how could it have anything to do with the GX having a better 4WD system than the LS?!
That's based on comparing my GX460 driving experience with your LS awd driving experience
texas008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 12:21 PM   #10
Htony
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: AB
Posts: 865
Thanks: 0
Thanked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas008 View Post
That's based on comparing my GX460 driving experience with your LS awd driving experience
GX460 is real 4WD.
Htony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 12:41 PM   #11
mjeds
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,720
Thanked 103 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas008 View Post
Thanks a lot for the info.
Yes its time to get a new set of tires (27k miles on the current set of Michelin Pilot sport AS3)
I'm always amazed that my GX460, with original bridgestone tires and ~ 5/32 of tread depth, can go through puddles of water with all 4 wheels firmly planted on the ground. Guess the GX must have a much better 4wd system than the LS, and different type of tires.
truck tires vs. car tires. Harder rubber, taller sidewalls, different tread pattern designed for rain, mud, snow. Vs. low profile, soft rubber tires designed for dry asphalt or cement surfaces.

Apples and oranges.

Put the same tires on your LS and youíll experience the same behavior as the GX. But the ride will be crap,
mjeds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjeds For This Useful Post:
texas008 (10-20-17)
Old 10-20-17, 03:11 PM   #12
SW15LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW15LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 20,425
Thanked 209 Times in 183 Posts
Default

My AWD LS is very stable in heavy rain, on good tires. As were my RWD LS430 and LS400.

Your GX would hydroplane too on tires below a certain type.

Again, drive type has nothing to do with hydroplaning resistance
SW15LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 04:10 PM   #13
Nospinzone
Moderator
 
Nospinzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 3,261
Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas008 View Post
thanks for the info,
its getting cooler in Houston,
so I just inflated all 4 tires 2 days ago, to cold pressure 35~36 psi.
will soon get a new set of tires at Discount Tires, either Pirelli P7 or Pilot sport AS 3+.
For performance on wet roads, I've found the Pirellis to be the best hands down. They may be noisier, they may wear out faster, but nothing performs better on wet roads, imo.
Nospinzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 04:45 PM   #14
SW15LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW15LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 20,425
Thanked 209 Times in 183 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nospinzone View Post
For performance on wet roads, I've found the Pirellis to be the best hands down. They may be noisier, they may wear out faster, but nothing performs better on wet roads, imo.
Actually the P7s have a great reputation for quietness and Long treadwear, certainly not down to 4/32nds after only 27k miles.
SW15LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-17, 03:22 AM   #15
mckellyb
Lead Lap
 
mckellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 466
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Default Putting GX tires on your LS

BTW, I put five BFG A/T KO2 tires on Princess, my wife's AWD 2002 RX300.

She lived with the noise for two years. I found a Jeep ZJ I'd been searching for for years, and it needed tires. Oh, look, OEM is identical to the RX. Wife's car now has five Contis, the ZJ (named Hodor) has the on/off-road tires.

It was fun while it lasted, though.
mckellyb is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uneven tire wear bsimonds LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) 15 10-26-17 07:42 PM
New Tires - 2 vs 4 pras ES - 6th Gen (2013-present) 20 01-01-17 03:59 PM
LS460 wear tires out in 20k miles texas008 LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) 9 11-23-15 08:31 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: