LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New front EBC rotors and Yellowstuff pads are on!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-17, 06:45 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts
Default New front EBC rotors and Yellowstuff pads are on!

This is the first time I've had a wheel off this car, and it's nicely well-built, underneath (as you'd expect).

One thing, however...four lug nuts per wheel are 20 mm, the fifth is 22 mm. I figure, at some point in the past, this car had locking lug nuts on it, and when the key was lost, this was the solution.

Looks like I shop for four proper lug nuts.

While this is the most basic of theft deterrents, it's also a tire-changing obstacle, should the need arise.

Preliminary report on the EBC rotors/pads. This is the drive-it-like-you-stole it combo, and wow, does it feel better. No more super-aggressive initial bite, they're much more progressive, and I think, as long as dust and life are acceptable, this is a winning combo.

Turns out, the pads which were in there were new probably immediately before I bought the car. That was 15K miles ago, and there's almost nothing gone from the friction material. I'm going to say less than 1/32" for each pad.

Regardless, I needed rotors.

After a few hundred miles of brake in (heh, heh), I'll bed them properly, then report back after a few days at 100% usability. Should have the rears on by then, and new tires too.

It's been an expensive month, and it's only 2/3 over.

New tires are to be Continental DW, OEM size. Don't need the "S" part of them in north-central Texas. If I do, that's what the '98 Grand Cherokee is for.
Old 10-20-17, 01:31 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Glad you like them! The Centric Premiums I run have been great but do generate a bit of dust (easy to wipe off though) and I'm getting a squeal in reverse which I've yet to try to nail down and fix.

Really curious to hear how these dust though so keep us updated
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (10-21-17)
Old 10-20-17, 03:25 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Yes, the Centric Premiums I installed last year have been amazing for me as well. Basically any quality aftermarket setup will be leaps and bounds better than the factory setup. No more grab, and very linear and smooth. The rotors have been warp-proof.
mckellyb (10-21-17)
Old 10-21-17, 02:26 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 213374U
That makes two of us!

I hope they're not horrible...though, I've owned two "W" Mercedes, a W126 and a W124. Both were tops in brake dust generation. It was amazingly terrible.

We're talking, run though the car wash, drive the final three miles home from work, oh, fresh brake dust...imagine that.

I'm going to finish bedding them this morning on the way to work, so I'll letcha know how they feel (they're already so far ahead of OEM, it's not funny).

Noise in reverse is normal for "high performance" brakes. The change in direction results in a very, very slight change in angle in how the pad contacts the rotor, BAM, noise. I'd get it, occasionally, with the OEM stuff. IOW, don't worry about it.
Old 10-21-17, 05:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Glad you like them! The Centric Premiums I run have been great but do generate a bit of dust (easy to wipe off though) and I'm getting a squeal in reverse which I've yet to try to nail down and fix.

Centric premium rotors, what pads? I have those rotors with Centric posi quiet ceramic pads and I have very little dust and no squealing anywhere.
Old 10-21-17, 10:13 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, it's afternoon here in central time. Here's what I posted to a group of -weirdos- people like me, earlier today:

Initial bedding complete. Thank you, redacted! They didn't even smell all that much when on stops 4-6.

Let me put it this way:

OMFGWTFFTMFWBBQ!!!!!

My. Gawd.

What a difference!!!!!

(yes, five exclamation points in 'sentences' very close to each other, and I mean it)

This right here is going to be worth every single cent of the $700 it cost me. Y'know, I've said that for 15 years about the Konis on the coach, which were the same amount and seemingly really expensive for dampers.

The super weird-feeling initial bite/grab is 100% gone! No more guessing, as I slow on the brakes, where I'm going to have to adjust pedal pressure to keep deceleration smooth* because the brake actuator decided to adjust fluid pressure for no reason I can see/feel.

I almost can't wait for new tires, but first, I need to contact a local wheel polishing guy to see how much he charges and can he fix minor damage.

I know this is very anti- redacted and redacted in general, extra added bling, yo, but they're all a little torn up, and I think polished to a high shine will look better than painted, even on silver.

*brake-by-wire can be pretty damned odd-feeling when things aren't playing well, together. I have no idea what pads were in there, other than ones which physically fit, but they definitely were not 'right' for this sled.

I did learn something about electric power steering, however, and it's kick ***. Because you don't have to work against a hydraulic system with the engine off, it's not a face-off turning the steering to either lock. It was unexpected and quite welcomed.
Old 10-22-17, 02:12 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i out in ebc pads and ultimax rotors on my wifes rx350; ebc bite is so much better and its the next upgrade on the ls460.
Originally Posted by mckellyb
This is the first time I've had a wheel off this car, and it's nicely well-built, underneath (as you'd expect).

One thing, however...four lug nuts per wheel are 20 mm, the fifth is 22 mm. I figure, at some point in the past, this car had locking lug nuts on it, and when the key was lost, this was the solution.

Looks like I shop for four proper lug nuts.

While this is the most basic of theft deterrents, it's also a tire-changing obstacle, should the need arise.

Preliminary report on the EBC rotors/pads. This is the drive-it-like-you-stole it combo, and wow, does it feel better. No more super-aggressive initial bite, they're much more progressive, and I think, as long as dust and life are acceptable, this is a winning combo.

Turns out, the pads which were in there were new probably immediately before I bought the car. That was 15K miles ago, and there's almost nothing gone from the friction material. I'm going to say less than 1/32" for each pad.

Regardless, I needed rotors.

After a few hundred miles of brake in (heh, heh), I'll bed them properly, then report back after a few days at 100% usability. Should have the rears on by then, and new tires too.

It's been an expensive month, and it's only 2/3 over.

New tires are to be Continental DW, OEM size. Don't need the "S" part of them in north-central Texas. If I do, that's what the '98 Grand Cherokee is for.
Old 10-22-17, 05:13 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Early dust report.

I hope this is merely a result of "brake in" compound and being hard on them during bedding, but after 150 miles, yep, I can see the front wheels are dirtier than the rears, and if you get close to them, the layer of brake black is obvious. This is 80's Mercedes-level dust generation.

But then, I did six 70-10 into-the-ABS slow-downs one immediately after the other, not lingering between brake cycles. That can't help.

Though...even if the yellows are quite dusty, they feel so good, I'll get them again.
Old 10-23-17, 01:57 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Centric premium rotors, what pads? I have those rotors with Centric posi quiet ceramic pads and I have very little dust and no squealing anywhere.
Same pads, definitely dusty. I'll try to snap some clean pics and then after a day or two so you can see what I'm looking at.
Old 10-23-17, 04:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Same pads, definitely dusty. I'll try to snap some clean pics and then after a day or two so you can see what I'm looking at.
Weird...mine hardly dust at all.

Are you sure yours are the ceramic pads? They make a semi-metallic pad too.
Old 10-26-17, 09:05 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, ceramic pads. Dust pic is after 5 or so days. Not terrible, but not non-existent either.

mckellyb (10-27-17)
Old 10-27-17, 10:37 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

I did the rears on my LS, yesterday, I'll update with dust on Monday, after about 220 miles without cleaning.
Old 10-27-17, 07:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yup, ceramic pads. Dust pic is after 5 or so days. Not terrible, but not non-existent either.

Thats bizarre. Mine don’t dust that much at all.
Old 10-28-17, 07:40 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Yeah....my centric's don't dust either. This level of dust is usually only seen with semi-metallic pads. Strange.
Old 10-30-17, 01:07 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Y'all have any kind of coating on your wheels?

Quick Reply: New front EBC rotors and Yellowstuff pads are on!