LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2012 to 2014 'upgrade' using Carvana !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-17, 12:13 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
It must have been quite a sight to have two beautiful Lexus flagships moving around in the DD parking lot! Did you attract a crowd??
Quite frankly I was bit disappointed with that location. No lights on the parking space, some local roads around with not much traffic. I am not sure how they picked that place. The guy told me their inspection place is about an hour drive (assume South) because I live 30 minutes North of that place.

If I recollect, there wasn't much cars at the parking lot at all . I thought of taking pic of both side by side but didn't get an opportunity.
Old 10-15-17, 12:21 PM
satiger
Instructor

Could it be the transmission whine? I hear something like this at 65-75 mph, and will get it looked at on my next service (60K). I also have a slight vibration in the shift lever at all speeds. I don't know whether that is normal. Do you feel this?

Good to know the Carvana warranty is comprehensive and pretty long.
I hope its not related to transmission. With my limited driving, didn't feel any vibrations in shift level. Do you feel the vibration by touching the lever or see vibrating?. Since you have Platinum warranty, I would ask Lexus to look into it.
Old 10-15-17, 12:27 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
I hope its not related to transmission. With my limited driving, didn't feel any vibrations in shift level. Do you feel the vibration by touching the lever or see vibrating?. Since you have Platinum warranty, I would ask Lexus to look into it.
I feel the vibration while holding the shift lever, not by sight. I will definitely get this looked into.

I am sure the 19 inch split spokes on your 2014 are also a pricey option, $990 if not more.

Getting most of your platinum VSA back prorated is awesome. Even though the VSA is transferrable to the next buyer, you could never convince a private buyer to pay for that markup. I am glad it will work out well for you! For that 700/750 you will have paid for the VSA, did you have any warranty work on the car?
Old 10-15-17, 12:30 PM
satiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Sounds like a bad tire. The transmission whine TSB was for a whine at speeds below 40mph. I had that looked at on mine and they were able to get rid of it by carrying out the TSB.

On another note, I see you had the 2014+ 19" wheels on your 2012. Nice, I like them. Good to see your 2014 has them too.
I am leaning towards tire as well. In fact taking P7 tomorrow to Lexus. Yes, I did replace 2012's 5 spoke wheel with split 7 spoke wheel. But many here prefer 5 spoke wheel. I guess split 7 spoke wheel is not everyone's cup of tea.....
Old 10-15-17, 01:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Congrats! She's a beaut. Thats a really nice car, optioned perfectly IMHO. Great choice in colors

I would say tire noise, are you putting the P7s on that? I'd do that and then see what that does to the house
Old 10-16-17, 10:30 AM
satiger
Instructor

Thanks Steve. I had been searching for nebula grey since I started looking for a LS. Then settled for my second choice obsidian black. No regrets, its great color, especially when clean and shinny. I thought of replacing the tires with P7 but didn't have to do it. Latest update is below......

Update:

I dropped her off at the dealer and received a call from SA stating that car's over all condition looks very good. The noise I mentioned earlier is from front bearing. Its covered under new car warranty. Every thing else (car drivetrain, control arm bushes, sunroof rails etc) are all look good.

I am proceeding with transmission and front/rear differential fluid changes. That means 2012 LS will be on Cavana site soon.

During past 3 years, I took care of her (2012) very well.
  • Always garage kept
  • Originally from FL, since my purchase never drove in snow
  • Modesta paint coating (in fact twice)
  • CQuartz leather protectant
  • Always dealer serviced
  • Always premium gas with top tier gas stations
  • Last two oil changes with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Hope she finds a good home .......
Old 10-16-17, 10:33 AM
satiger
Instructor

I feel the vibration while holding the shift lever, not by sight. I will definitely get this looked into.

I am sure the 19 inch split spokes on your 2014 are also a pricey option, $990 if not more.

Getting most of your platinum VSA back prorated is awesome. Even though the VSA is transferrable to the next buyer, you could never convince a private buyer to pay for that markup. I am glad it will work out well for you! For that 700/750 you will have paid for the VSA, did you have any warranty work on the car?
No, I didn't have to use the warranty.

Once again, thanks AC for that link. Without which I would have missed this car.
Old 10-16-17, 10:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Wheel bearing was going to be my next choice.

Since you have the P7s, I'd put them on there anyways. From the picture the tires that are on there look like no name off brand tires and you'll eventually have noise problems.
Old 10-16-17, 11:03 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
No, I didn't have to use the warranty.

Once again, thanks AC for that link. Without which I would have missed this car.
That $750 "lost" on your VSA is money well-spent for the peace of mind.

I am delighted that a fellow CLer bought the car! Maybe we will meet up sometime and you will let me drive your car as a reward for being the match maker !!

Happy driving and be safe, satiger!
Old 10-16-17, 12:18 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Wheel bearing could be it, but I'm going to guess that this is the common AWD problem with the front drive axles. It only happens between 45-60 and is most noticeable when decelerating between those speeds.

Here's something you can try that will tell you for sure (if it's an air suspension equipped LS): Drive the vehicle up to 60mph and then decelerate paying close attention to how noticeable the vibration is. Then, take it out on the highway and cruise above 65 for at least 2 minutes (to let the suspension automatically lower itself) then decelerate and pay attention to how noticeable the vibration is. If the vibration is worse coming off the highway (lowered) it is definitely the CV axles. I have the DataSystems controller and the vibration gets more noticeable the lower the vehicle is, traveling above 65 is simply a way to test this if you don't have the controller.

If you have strut/coil suspension, feel free to disregard everything above regarding the test, but look at the axles if the wheel bearing doesn't fix it.
Old 10-16-17, 06:19 PM
satiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by 213374U
Wheel bearing could be it, but I'm going to guess that this is the common AWD problem with the front drive axles. It only happens between 45-60 and is most noticeable when decelerating between those speeds.

Here's something you can try that will tell you for sure (if it's an air suspension equipped LS): Drive the vehicle up to 60mph and then decelerate paying close attention to how noticeable the vibration is. Then, take it out on the highway and cruise above 65 for at least 2 minutes (to let the suspension automatically lower itself) then decelerate and pay attention to how noticeable the vibration is. If the vibration is worse coming off the highway (lowered) it is definitely the CV axles. I have the DataSystems controller and the vibration gets more noticeable the lower the vehicle is, traveling above 65 is simply a way to test this if you don't have the controller.

If you have strut/coil suspension, feel free to disregard everything above regarding the test, but look at the axles if the wheel bearing doesn't fix it.
Replacing wheel bearing fixed the problem. Thanks for the suggestion. Since I have air suspension, will test that with your method.....
Old 10-16-17, 06:28 PM
satiger
Instructor

That $750 "lost" on your VSA is money well-spent for the peace of mind.

I am delighted that a fellow CLer bought the car! Maybe we will meet up sometime and you will let me drive your car as a reward for being the match maker !!

Happy driving and be safe, satiger!
Of cause AC, anytime!. When ever you visit East Coast side or when I do visit closer to your place will plan on meeting.

Picked the car from service and it drives smoothly. Since I requested transmission flush, they did that service with BG cleaning agent first and then filled with BG SYN ATF (BG3123). I have done transmission service for my GX at Lexus/Toyota dealerships. They all used Toyota WS.

I am familiar with BG intake service and used in the past. But for the first time came know about their ATF. Reading further on BIOL forums, BG ATF seems to very good product. Will call my SA tomorrow to find out more about BG ATF and why they choose that over Toyota WS.
Old 10-17-17, 06:17 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Re service records, I just bought an 07 LS from one of my clients. She had all servicing done at local dealer, but did not have all the records. I was going to go to the dealership to get the missing records, but found that I could sign on to the Lexus Owners site with the VIN and download all the records from there.

Re colors, my client bought a new 17 LS (she is 85 and did not like the looks of the new 500). It is a great looking vehicle in Atomic Silver, with light interior (parchment, I believe).

Last edited by wasjr; 10-17-17 at 06:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Soldier76 (08-13-19)
Old 10-17-17, 06:23 PM
rgs92
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have an idea if you sell your Lexus via Carvana or Vroom.com the Lexus VSA (Vehicle Service Agreement) will carry over to the new owner as in a private sale? Thanks.
Old 10-18-17, 04:18 AM
satiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by rgs92
Does anyone have an idea if you sell your Lexus via Carvana or Vroom.com the Lexus VSA (Vehicle Service Agreement) will carry over to the new owner as in a private sale? Thanks.
You will be able to find that by calling Lexus Financial Services at 800-448-1505. I just called them to cancel my warranty. They asked me whether the car was traded or sold. That's it.

In order for you to transfer warranty to that buyer (not middle man such as dealer, Carvana etc), you will need their name and address. Not sure Lexus Financial Services would ask for sales agreement or not.......

Quick Reply: 2012 to 2014 'upgrade' using Carvana !!!