LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Brakes installed on F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17, 01:54 PM
thbrewst
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdudra
Once I took my time and did the first one, the second was MUCH easier. there are 2 bolts to remove to remove 2 pins and then remove the other 2 pins and the pads pull straight out. Much easier than I expected. Regarding pushing the pistons back in, well you would have to remove the caliper to do that. (or at least I did because I was replacing the rotors at the same time). I used my standard tools of a big C Clamp and one of the brake pads and boom they went in. But to tell you how easy it was, I was able to push one of the pistons in with my hands. I found this interesting. Regarding the sensors, if they come off in 1 piece, no need to replace. If they break like mine did, you have to replace. I had to replace 2 out of the 4 on the car.

Hope this helps!!
Perfect thanks. Any chance you remember the size of the bolts you had to remove? Always easier if you don't have to experiment.

Weird on the pistons. I have had quite a few BMWs in my history and actually bought a 'piston pushing tool' just to make it easier. Don't ever recall one I could push with my fingers. Oh well, easier is good... On the BMWs (depending on model) you either had to pull the top part of the caliper off or at least 'swing' it out of the way to get to the pads. Not hard, but took more time.
Old 10-10-17, 02:02 PM
sdudra
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thbrewst
Perfect thanks. Any chance you remember the size of the bolts you had to remove? Always easier if you don't have to experiment.

Weird on the pistons. I have had quite a few BMWs in my history and actually bought a 'piston pushing tool' just to make it easier. Don't ever recall one I could push with my fingers. Oh well, easier is good... On the BMWs (depending on model) you either had to pull the top part of the caliper off or at least 'swing' it out of the way to get to the pads. Not hard, but took more time.
The bolts were rather small. I believe either a 10mm or a 12mm. As for the pistons, I an not sure HOW you would push them in if the caliper is not swung around to gain access. It is easy so don't be afraid!