LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What does this mean?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 09:01 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts
Default What does this mean?

Greetings. Yesterday when I got home, I parked the car like normal in the garage and went inside. A few hours later, I went out in the garage to find all my windows down and sunroof open. I'm thinking maybe I did something I wasn't aware of when getting out?? Then today I went to check something in my car and all my doors were locked. I've had this car 4 years and to my knowledge, I've never locked the doors when at home.

So, what does all this mystery mean?
Old 07-03-18, 09:40 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
Greetings. Yesterday when I got home, I parked the car like normal in the garage and went inside. A few hours later, I went out in the garage to find all my windows down and sunroof open. I'm thinking maybe I did something I wasn't aware of when getting out?? Then today I went to check something in my car and all my doors were locked. I've had this car 4 years and to my knowledge, I've never locked the doors when at home.

Malfunctioning Key fob maybe? Take it apart and clean it if it is dirty. If it still acts up then take out the key fob battery and see if it still occurs.
Old 07-03-18, 10:27 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

Silly thought for myself but, I swear that if you hold down the unlock button on our fobs that it allows the windows to all roll down? My CT did that.

Perhaps you hit the button by accident somehow?
Old 07-03-18, 10:38 AM
tucuman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Silly thought for myself but, I swear that if you hold down the unlock button on our fobs that it allows the windows to all roll down? My CT did that.

Perhaps you hit the button by accident somehow?
does this actually work? I've tried that but it didn't work on mine.
Old 07-03-18, 10:57 AM
k311in
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Yup mine does that. And if I hold the lock it will close all windows
Old 07-03-18, 10:58 AM
tucuman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k311in
Yup mine does that. And if I hold the lock it will close all windows
what year is yours?
Old 07-03-18, 11:50 AM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tucuman
what year is yours?
To roll down all the windows & open the sunroof:
click the unlock twice, the second time holding it down till everything is open.
To close everything back up:
click the lock button on the door handle & hold till all the windows are closed

As far holding the lock on the key fob to close the windows, I've never tried that.
Old 07-03-18, 11:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

My guess is you're doing something to push the buttons on the fob in your pocket. Never had this happen with the Lexus fobs, but it happens with our Pacifica all the time. I'll bend down to get something and come to find out the sliding doors are both open...
Old 07-03-18, 11:53 AM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z

Trying changing out the batteries on the key fobs & if that doesn't work, try disconnecting the battery from the car, let it sit for 10 or so mins & reconnect. hopefully that my reset the system if something went wrong.
Old 07-03-18, 02:33 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'll bend down to get something and come to find out the sliding doors are both open...
Easy fix, stop bending down to get something!

Seriously though, over the years there have been a couple threads on this occurrence. I can't remember the solution, but I think putting in fresh batteries and making sure you don't accidently press the key fob twice will probably cure the problem.

Old 07-03-18, 03:54 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MobbinVIP
To roll down all the windows & open the sunroof:
click the unlock twice, the second time holding it down till everything is open.
To close everything back up:
click the lock button on the door handle & hold till all the windows are closed

As far holding the lock on the key fob to close the windows, I've never tried that.
On my 07 you just have to hold the unlock button down without clicking it twice to open all windows and the sunroof. My unlock feature is set to open all doors on first click though. This may be the difference. My remote won't lift the windows at all. At least not by holding the lock button or double clicking and holding it.
Old 07-03-18, 04:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Easy fix, stop bending down to get something!
Sage advice! LOL
Old 07-04-18, 01:36 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
On my 07 you just have to hold the unlock button down without clicking it twice to open all windows and the sunroof. My unlock feature is set to open all doors on first click though. This may be the difference. My remote won't lift the windows at all. At least not by holding the lock button or double clicking and holding it.
Setting the key fob to unlock all doors or just the driver's door on the first click, and setting the windows & sunroof to open via the key fob are two completely separate and unrelated functions. The one thing that these two actions have in common is that they (among dozens of other features/functions that can be personalized) are all customized using the TechStream software. Most, if not all Lexus models from the late 90s and up have this functionality unless the original owner or any previous owner had it (and other features like it) disabled at the dealership.

R Z if you had the keys in your pocket (or anywhere else that it would have been possible for the unlock button to be unknowingly held down) when you were in the house, I'll just about guarantee that's all that happened - unlock button held down by accident. Otherwise, the only other very slim possibility is a malfunctioning key fob. I've never heard of this happening with a dying battery in a key fob, and that wouldn't make much sense if they keys were in your house since the battery would had to have had enough 'juice' to transmit a strong enough signal to cover the distance to your car in addition go going through walls/doors/floors. I'm kind of surprised that so many members don't know about this and were suggesting 'fixes to a problem' when there's no problem at all - no offense to all those who were genuinely just trying to offer help.

edit: anytime you have a 'strange' problem like this - or really any problem for that matter - you should really utilize the search feature... you'd be amazed at what a simple search on just this forum or even Google turns up... I found all these links below by searching "ls460 windows opened by themselves" and looked at the very first hit returned by Google. Hopefully this is a learning experience for some of you and will search next time

All Windows Opened By Themselves?

Windows opened themselves!?

Mysterious opening of all windows and moonroof

Windows and moon roof opened by themselves

Windows Open By Themselves

All 5 windows rolled down automatically???!!

Windows automatically rolled down??

Last edited by Mbodall; 07-04-18 at 02:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
corpnupe85 (07-04-18)
Old 07-06-18, 09:56 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

To the OP... worst case... I always keep my keys in my pocket, one day I found the trunk open...after a night of raining ! (it got a little wet but, as bad as I thought it would). What I did to avoid this, I got a rubber case for the key, it gave a little padding and never has happened again.

wish.com and search, they were like $3 shipped and took about a month to come in...

Originally Posted by tucuman
does this actually work? I've tried that but it didn't work on mine.
All of my LS's did this... I remember using it all the time on my 430....but, I have remote start, so I use that more during hot weather...

Last edited by DavidinCT; 07-06-18 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-06-18, 11:56 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Remote window roll down was a standard function until the keyless fobs debuted in 2010.
Both RWRD and the window/sunroof close using a key in the driver's door lock cylinder came
defaulted "off" starting in 2010 because folks were accidentally pressing the fob unlock button (OP?)
and opening the windows inadvertently. Not switchable in any menu screen but Dealer Techs will
do it free at the first 5K miles service visit.

Note: the anti-jam safety feature when the windows/sunroof are closing only works when the inside
window/sunroof buttons are triggered and released. If you hold the button(s) up while the glass is
moving it will not stop when blocked. What if the panhandler you gave coins to tries to reach in
for more valuable items? Lift and hold the button...

Full circle back to remote actuation of the windows: press and hold fob unlock to open (let go to stop partway),
pressing "lock" does NOT roll them up because it would override the anti-jam and you might not be watching
your dog or child's head sticking out... You can only roll them up from outside the car by inserting the key into
the driver's door lock cylinder and turning and holding CCW.