LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How often do you have to use your key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 09:26 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts
Default How often do you have to use your key fob?

Out of curiosity, what percent of the time does your LS not "recognize" that the key is on you? There are times where my car doesn't sense the key fob even when I hold it up to the driver window while touching the door handle, so I have to manually unlock the car. Does this indicate a low battery or is there anything else I'm missing?
Old 09-18-17, 09:42 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Only time I have used the key is when I want to have the trunk open when I get to the car. Only time I started to have an issue is when I blew off the message "Low key battery" for over a week.

Are you getting the message on the dash of a low battery or any other issues? Do you have a 2nd key to try ?
Old 09-18-17, 09:52 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Out of curiosity, what percent of the time does your LS not "recognize" that the key is on you? There are times where my car doesn't sense the key fob even when I hold it up to the driver window while touching the door handle, so I have to manually unlock the car. Does this indicate a low battery or is there anything else I'm missing?
When you say you have to unlock it "manually," are you talking about using the mechanical key or are you using the UNLOCK button on the wireless remote?
Old 09-18-17, 10:02 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm not getting any sort of low battery warnings and unfortunately don't have a 2nd key. And "manually" unlocking the car means I'm pushing the button on the remote. It's a 2010 460L if it helps. This is the first car I've had that uses the fob sensing (my 430 didn't have that option) and our LX never has any issues (my wife drives it). This is definitely in the category of first-world-problems...I just find it annoying that it doesn't consistently work and figure someone here has encountered it.
Old 09-18-17, 10:05 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I'm not getting any sort of low battery warnings and unfortunately don't have a 2nd key. And "manually" unlocking the car means I'm pushing the button on the remote. It's a 2010 460L if it helps. This is the first car I've had that uses the fob sensing (my 430 didn't have that option) and our LX never has any issues (my wife drives it). This is definitely in the category of first-world-problems...I just find it annoying that it doesn't consistently work and figure someone here has encountered it.
I'd start just by trying to change the battery to see if that helps... It's a cheap enough option. I don't think I have used the unlock button on my remote in 6 or so months.

The dash would light up warning "low battery" if it was low..

First world problems ? Crap this would annoy the heck out of me too... Also my 430 didn't have it, It's my first car that had this feature, it took a little to get used to but, I had to lessen my key level as they never leave my pocket accept getting in the house. :-/
Old 09-18-17, 10:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I never have this situation
Old 09-18-17, 11:20 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Me neither. Try changing the remote battery anyway and see if that helps.
Old 09-18-17, 01:39 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have this issue only when I park in very particular spots in downtown.

There are a few very specific places where I need to use the unlock button to open because the car will not detect the proximity of the key.
When it happens it affects both keyless entry and the push to start system so I'll also need to put the key up against the start button to get a green light.

I'll repeat that this is LOCATION dependent, so it appears that there's some kind of signal interference in those specific areas of the city.
The effect of this supposed interference seem to cover about a 20-40 foot area so if I would park the car just a bit further up the same street there would be normal behavior.

The other 99.5% of the time, everything works absolutely perfectly.
Old 09-18-17, 03:22 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

90% of the time the car is located in a "rural setting" and everything works the way it should...... We never have had a problem opening the trunk or unlocking the car with the remote. I suggest changing the battery on the remote.
Old 09-18-17, 03:26 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe my cell phone, when it is in the same pocket as my key fob and is in front of it, can block the car from recognizing my key fob. I also think the close proximity might contribute to draining the key fob's battery. These are very subjective observations, though. I've had a key fob not work at all, but that was fixed by replacing its battery.
Old 09-18-17, 05:39 PM
Jane123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok this is weird I was outside by my car when it honked?

When I was by my car it honked and lock the doors. I thought what going on? I walked over to my car and there on the dashboard is my only set of keys. I let someone borrow my car and the brains of the fob key was lost. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I started to think if someone drove by with a master fob or something. My purse was stolen out of my car about a year ago and my insurance company ask if I had lock my car. I thought I did they said sometimes the criminals have a master fob. Anyway does anyone know how I can get into my car? Does anyone else have this problem? I want to know if it's an issue so I not paranoid about being robbed. Let me know anyone thank you.
Old 09-19-17, 06:33 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

My fob stays in my pocket. Rarely ever sees the light of day. I've replaced the battery in both of my fobs and it's simple to do. As others have recommended, change the battery and see if that does the trick.
Old 09-19-17, 09:04 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jane123
When I was by my car it honked and lock the doors. I thought what going on? I walked over to my car and there on the dashboard is my only set of keys. I let someone borrow my car and the brains of the fob key was lost. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I started to think if someone drove by with a master fob or something. My purse was stolen out of my car about a year ago and my insurance company ask if I had lock my car. I thought I did they said sometimes the criminals have a master fob. Anyway does anyone know how I can get into my car? Does anyone else have this problem? I want to know if it's an issue so I not paranoid about being robbed. Let me know anyone thank you.
Your car locked with the keys in it? That's new.
But no, the LS doesn't have a "master fob" since each key has to be adapted to the car.
Old 09-19-17, 03:34 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

My car has never failed to recognize the fob in my pocket. I wish I had the card for my wallet though. Does anyone with a 2007 use the wallet card?
Old 09-19-17, 09:36 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Do a You Tube search and there are several videos on how to change the batteries (which I did on both key fobs about 2 months ago). Easy "check the box" task before having to further troubleshoot if the problem persists....

Quick Reply: How often do you have to use your key fob?