LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 ls460l dash falling apart my first lexus

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 07:46 AM
klyn75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 ls460l dash falling apart my first lexus

I bought the beautiful luxury car Christmas of 2016. It is a really nice driving car. The interior dash is falling apart. I didn't notice that when I went to buy who would think that in a luxury car. I do not even have to touch it. it just is peeling. the door panels are as well. it is so cheaply made. When I go to have it detailed no one will touch it to clean it. my sales person said for me to just get rid of it. The part place said to call the 1800 number to see if they can replace all that because they should. well at this point I'm hoping to hear from the team but if not I will NEVER buy another lexus. The car is made of cheap material. you would think a 70,000 dollar car new would be made better than this. My RWD Lincoln was older than a 2007 and it was in better shape. I cant stand a dirty interior with any imperfections. I'm so disappointed in Lexus.on top of it the trim that goes from the back windshield to the front windshield the plastic yes plastic is coming off of it. its not painted and the chrome is showing up on a nice shiny black car that I still owe note on. again I called parts and they said take it up with 1800lexus so we will see what will happen. I'm about done with the car but I wont take another one buy lexus If they don't fix it. the car only has 77,000 miles on it.
Old 09-15-17, 08:02 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Do you have pictures of this? I would be curious to see what you're talking about - sounds like UV damage perhaps.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-15-17 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-15-17, 08:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

the car is 10 years old and if it's been out in the sun for a lot of that time, i'm not surprised it's deteriorating. if it was garage kept that's different. sun is brutal on car interiors.
my 9 year old ford explorer i sold had NO sign in deterioration in its interior but it was kept in the garage at home or in the shade when possible.
Old 09-15-17, 09:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Was the LS on the list for free dash replacements? I can't remember. I know the IS was.

I agree that filing a claim with Lexus via the 1-800 number is the appropriate action.
Old 09-15-17, 09:20 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Yeah, if the mods can move it over to the dedicated LS460 forum, there are some tsb (I didn't do an extensive search) for the dash and door panel.

If there isn't a tsb or the dealers are not willing to work it out, call the 800 corporate number as JDR76 mentioned.
Old 09-15-17, 11:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the car is 10 years old and if it's been out in the sun for a lot of that time, i'm not surprised it's deteriorating. if it was garage kept that's different. sun is brutal on car interiors.
my 9 year old ford explorer i sold had NO sign in deterioration in its interior but it was kept in the garage at home or in the shade when possible.
A modern interior should hold up for 10 years no problems even in the sun, especially on a expensive luxury car, the glass is designed to filter out UV rays. There has been a major issue with early make LS460 interiors with sticky panels and fading and other issues. They have not addressed it well, they seem to replace some but refuse others with no real reason why one gets replaced while the other doesn't. That is unacceptable especially when the cost of replacing the interior bits are several thousand dollars. My GS430 sat in the sun most of its life and its interior held up very well and looked practically brand new despite being 15 years old and the interior being black, no excuse for what is happening for early LS460's and Lexus not making things right. This issue was brought up 5 or 6 years ago.
Old 09-15-17, 12:53 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

My 23 year old 1994 Camry interior doesn't even look like it flinched over the years. It was non garaged by the first owner for 16 years. The only thing slightly wearing is the center arm rest with 2 one inch cracks. I've had to touch up a few areas small corner areas of my Ls460 with caulk then leather match dye paint. Truly is unacceptable with spray on rubber molded to foam cushion for trim. I wonder what common trim problem other luxury car companies have.

Too early to tell if 2013-2017 LS460 has the same problem

Last edited by JLAWS; 09-15-17 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-15-17, 02:03 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Take it to a Lexus dealer, quick. You may have already missed the 10 year window for the dash and door panel warranty enhancement on the LS460. They know about this problem and will tell you if you are covered. If you are only a couple of months out of the 10 year limit, Lexus may "goodwill" a replacement (or partial cost).
Old 09-15-17, 02:40 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Take it to a Lexus dealer, quick. You may have already missed the 10 year window for the dash and door panel warranty enhancement on the LS460. They know about this problem and will tell you if you are covered. If you are only a couple of months out of the 10 year limit, Lexus may "goodwill" a replacement (or partial cost).

Exactly. Got both front and rear door panels along with the dash panel replaced. Never noticed anything wrong with the dash, but front door panels literally were melting. Car looks quite refreshed after having so much of the interior replaced.
Old 09-15-17, 03:00 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by arentz07
Do you have pictures of this? I would be curious to see what you're talking about - sounds like UV damage perhaps.
I would like to see pictures also.
Old 09-15-17, 03:21 PM
klyn75
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes pictures

I do not have young kids or dogs. Look at this is just coming off for no reason
It's just flacking off
I don't keep it in the sun. I don't sit it at work. It's always in garage unless I go to store or short trips. I do not drive much
Old 09-15-17, 03:22 PM
klyn75
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes pictures

I do not have young kids or dogs. Look at this is just coming off for no reason
It's just flacking off
I don't keep it in the sun. I don't sit it at work. It's always in garage unless I go to store or short trips. I do not drive much
Old 09-15-17, 03:25 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Holy crap. I would absolutely give the dealer a shot as my dash pad was just replaced a little over a month ago. In addition, should for any reason the dealer declines, call the 800 number and just explain what happened and supply pictures. When the door panels and dash were replaced, the dealer did not include the glove compartment which actually showed the most damage of all. Called corporate and received a $1500 credit. It seems the glove box is silly expensive even with my car not having semi aniline leather.
Old 09-15-17, 04:00 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Hmmm............ I gotta say, that doesn't look like normal wear and tear or melting/sticky/cracking dash/door panels - looks like the previous owner had a BIG dog in there. Can't hurt to try but be prepared to be disappointed.
Old 09-15-17, 04:08 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

That is certainly the most damage I have ever seen on a dash. Either way, worth a shot and I am in complete agreement about not considering it a sure thing. Maybe the Service Writer will be in good spirits.

Quick Reply: 2007 ls460l dash falling apart my first lexus