LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tire PSI - order in display?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-17, 06:32 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Tire PSI - order in display?

Sorry guys, I know I have seen a picture of someone explaining the order of the tires PSI display but I spent about 30 minutes searching the forum for "tire pressure" and can't find it. I have a 2010 460 and wondering the order they're listed in. Can someone please detail the order that the tires are listed in - starting from the top?

Also, from reading those threads it seems it's possible to go up about 4-5 PSI as you drive from a cooler climate into warmer climate. Does that sound about right? Thank you.
Old 09-14-17, 06:51 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't know your psi order display, but yes I have seen 4-5 psi from cold to hot...especially on a very hot day. Like yesterday I went from 32 in the morning and late that afternoon on a hot day it was 36 on two and 37 on the other two.
Old 09-14-17, 06:57 AM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Sorry guys, I know I have seen a picture of someone explaining the order of the tires PSI display but I spent about 30 minutes searching the forum for "tire pressure" and can't find it. I have a 2010 460 and wondering the order they're listed in. Can someone please detail the order that the tires are listed in - starting from the top?

Also, from reading those threads it seems it's possible to go up about 4-5 PSI as you drive from a cooler climate into warmer climate. Does that sound about right? Thank you.
I don't think that they are in specific order. As you rotate tires, change tires, each sensor position changes. I can only figure out the spare tire as its pressure does not increase when I start driving in the morning. Rest of the tires, as they get warmer, the pressure increases. That's how I know which one is my spare tire. The rest you have to either inflate and deflate each tire respectively and then observe the variation on the display to find out what each display corresponds.

Last edited by sfuad; 09-14-17 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-14-17, 07:02 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Copied from the thread below

What I did is deflated each one to locate which is which, once I knew which is which I had the sensors moved in an order I can remember. Which is from top to bottom- front left (top), front right(2nd from top), rear left(3rd from top), rear right (4th from top) and the Spare on the bottom.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...y-on-dash.html
Old 09-14-17, 09:24 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

^ That helps prove that the order changes. On mine the Spare tire is second from the top, right in line with the word "Spare" on the display.
Old 09-14-17, 09:41 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

One reason I love this forum is because it occasionally makes me realize I'm not thinking through things correctly... I never thought about the display changing when you rotate tires, etc. Doh! Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'll figure it out manually and keep it logged until the next oil change & tire rotation. Thanks all.
Old 09-14-17, 09:55 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

For such a sophisticated flagship car, it is unbelievable that Lexus did not figure out how to include tire position along with the pressure reading. This information is displayed for 2013+ cars. Even for the 2007-2012 cars, this information is probably there in the car's computer somewhere, it's just that their software is not retrieving and displaying it. Wouldn't it be great if Lexus would update their system software on a regular basis (like the WindowsOS and MacOS updates) so that such improvements can be made available in older cars? Do other automakers update their car's system software on a regular basis? It doesn't have to be free, but hopefully not more than a 100 bucks per update.
Old 09-14-17, 12:36 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I would venture to guess that they appear on the dash in the order that each of the sensors was registered with the computer, and that they will remain that way until you rotate tires and that's when the order goes funky. They could just as easily tie the order to the receiver at each corner (I believe this is how it works, please correct me if I'm wrong...) so it remains, I wonder why they didn't.
Old 09-14-17, 01:09 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
I would venture to guess that they appear on the dash in the order that each of the sensors was registered with the computer, and that they will remain that way until you rotate tires and that's when the order goes funky. They could just as easily tie the order to the receiver at each corner (I believe this is how it works, please correct me if I'm wrong...) so it remains, I wonder why they didn't.
That's probably right - it must be pretty easy tell where each wheel sensor is located based upon the receiver picking up the signal. This is not rocket science. I am surprised Lexus cannot easily update their software to give people this simple but very useful information. It's such a pain to manually figure out wheel positions that will change with each tire rotation, crazy...
Old 09-14-17, 01:26 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

When I rotate tires, I rescan the sensor in the order of LF >> RF >> RR >> LR. Always in that order and
re-register sensor ids. Display is same as scanning order. I use Autel TPMS tool.

Last edited by Htony; 09-14-17 at 02:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jmcraney (11-13-17)
Old 09-14-17, 02:18 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Well, actually there's only one receiver.
Old 09-14-17, 03:04 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Well, actually there's only one receiver.
And sensor ids. are stored in the ECU memory as id1, id2, id3, id4.
Old 09-15-17, 12:10 PM
GFXdznr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
For such a sophisticated flagship car, it is unbelievable that Lexus did not figure out how to include tire position along with the pressure reading.
On my previous 2004 Chrysler 300M Special, I could retrain the sensors with a magnet. Anytime I rotated the tires, I was able to reset them through the EVIC which displayed a small vehicle icon with the the pressure listed next to each location. Simple but very useful.
Old 09-15-17, 02:04 PM
Kuhn
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the receiver ever go bad?
Old 09-15-17, 02:04 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFXdznr
On my previous 2004 Chrysler 300M Special, I could retrain the sensors with a magnet. Anytime I rotated the tires, I was able to reset them through the EVIC which displayed a small vehicle icon with the the pressure listed next to each location. Simple but very useful.
Ditto. All previous vehicles I had two memory spaces in ECU to store summer and winter tire sensor ids. Also when tires are changed or rotated ECU will know that.
There was no hassle like Lexus. Also look at how Chevy does it using parking light/tail lights, pretty cool.

Last edited by Htony; 09-15-17 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire PSI - order in display?