Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

air struts replaced car will not lower or raise now 08 Lexus ls600hl and ideas on whi

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-17, 08:08 AM
craig1020
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air struts replaced car will not lower or raise now 08 Lexus ls600hl and ideas on whi

Air struts replaced car will not lower or raise now 08 Lexus LS600 HL and any ideas on why?

Last edited by craig1020; 09-28-17 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 08:32 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Were they replaced with OEM struts? Otherwise, were the aftermarket struts definitely compatible? All connectors reconnected properly and fuses OK? Does the ECM need to be re-set?
Old 09-12-17, 04:24 PM
craig1020
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Were they replaced with OEM struts? Otherwise, were the aftermarket struts definitely compatible? All connectors reconnected properly and fuses OK? Does the ECM need to be re-set?
I got this set from Master Tech in China a group who specializes in repairing and refurbishing oem air struts for $453 for the pair and they replace any worn parts etc and so far as I know they are factory original. Out of the box they did look brand new I was really impressed with the workmanship I saw. So I am fairly sure they are compatible. The thing on the ECM this is a great suggestion. Tomorrow I will have them to check these fuses and also to disconnect the negative cable from the battery to allow a reset. Ive done that before but forgot about it. I appreciate your input here and i thank you for your expertise. These autos can be challenging at times. This is an excellent automobile retailing at around 130 new and now I have around 15k in it but it has 287000 miles on it but it runs great and i have replaced a lot of things especially on the front end both axles all 8 arms and 2 front struts also. Thank you again and Ill let you all know how this goes.
Old 09-12-17, 10:50 PM
Gillz460L
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Craig 287k is phenomenal! Keep it up. If you can please post some pictures of your car. You stated front struts replaced... currently speaking about fronts or are you working on rears ? What was the original issue to begin with ?
Old 09-13-17, 03:08 AM
lsappsoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I have recently purchased all 4 from the same source for my 2007 LS in preparation for them failing completely the vehicle is already a little bouncy, is it the dampners that fail or the air bags ? anyway really interested as to how you get on. I intend to fit myself and obtained fitting instructions from the Arnott website (who sell a similar solution), you may also like to refer to this as may have some tips for you there, Best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-13-17, 09:28 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lsappsoc
is it the dampners that fail or the air bags ?
I've been wondering this myself as well
Old 09-13-17, 11:07 PM
Gillz460L
Rookie

The air struts on these vehicles are actually very well constructed. The air bag itself is thick on the 460 struts... seems like after long time use the dampening would fail first as the oil leaks out as it did on my 07 on my right rear strut. But you figure it lasted almost 100k and 10 years before any issues. For air suspension that's very good. Being a Lincoln town car owner and having s class in the family i can tell you the other forums every other conversation is air suspension failing or having issues.
Old 09-14-17, 09:27 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

That's good to know, and makes sense given the sounds people are describing. It's also a relief because the car remains somewhat driveable, if the bag failed the corner would sag and the compressor would continuously run and likely burn up.
Old 09-28-17, 11:25 PM
craig1020
Driver School Candidate

It is at the dealer in Greenville SC now and the verdict is that they do not know where to start for this repair. Several lights are on on the instrument panel and they came on after a front axle replacement. The struts were replaced and a sensor over the passenger strut was broken so I replaced that with another one and all remains the same stuck in the high position and struts fully inflated with an extremely bouncy and jumpy ride. I now wonder if that sensor doesnt work over the passenger air strut. Hendrick Lexus in Charlotte says they can do it and that they have seen cases like this on many occasions. Greenville may could do it but they were talking several thousand dollars. Hendrick unknown on any costs but they told me to go with new original oem struts. I found some refurbished with a 1 year warranty from Master Tech in China. Just a lot of moving pieces to this problem in terms of diagnosing but I am sure that if we could zero in on the problem that it could be repaired at a minimum in terms of $. The squeak and a lot of the give in the front end are gone now and if I could only get it to raise and lower with proper pressures in those struts I think Id be onto something then and to get rid of that bounce I would be rolling to 1/2 to 1 million miles on this car. All worked and worked very well before we started this project. Just that things were worn and we had to start replacing things and this is when all of the problems begin. All in the front end. Fix one thing and damage another one this is the way it goes in the mechanicing world. Alright onward with this project and any ideas one may have post them here and I thank you for your interest. Maybe we can get this figured out soon we have been after it for a long time now.
Old 09-30-17, 01:06 AM
Gillz460L
Rookie

Originally Posted by craig1020
It is at the dealer in Greenville SC now and the verdict is that they do not know where to start for this repair. Several lights are on on the instrument panel and they came on after a front axle replacement. The struts were replaced and a sensor over the passenger strut was broken so I replaced that with another one and all remains the same stuck in the high position and struts fully inflated with an extremely bouncy and jumpy ride. I now wonder if that sensor doesnt work over the passenger air strut. Hendrick Lexus in Charlotte says they can do it and that they have seen cases like this on many occasions. Greenville may could do it but they were talking several thousand dollars. Hendrick unknown on any costs but they told me to go with new original oem struts. I found some refurbished with a 1 year warranty from Master Tech in China. Just a lot of moving pieces to this problem in terms of diagnosing but I am sure that if we could zero in on the problem that it could be repaired at a minimum in terms of $. The squeak and a lot of the give in the front end are gone now and if I could only get it to raise and lower with proper pressures in those struts I think Id be onto something then and to get rid of that bounce I would be rolling to 1/2 to 1 million miles on this car. All worked and worked very well before we started this project. Just that things were worn and we had to start replacing things and this is when all of the problems begin. All in the front end. Fix one thing and damage another one this is the way it goes in the mechanicing world. Alright onward with this project and any ideas one may have post them here and I thank you for your interest. Maybe we can get this figured out soon we have been after it for a long time now.
Craig if the actuator on the right front strut was broken that should not affect the right height. The actuator controls the shock dampening from stiff to soft. Is the height high issue only on the front or whole car ? Seems like the height sensors may have an issue causing the height to be stuck on high. Somehow maybe during removal and install sensors were disconnected and or moved ? Are the sensors rotted or rusted out ? I would look into the sensors first, of course the dealer wants you to purchase oem struts, honestly the struts you purchased shouldn't have an issue. The air compressor fills the air struts with air when commanded by the computer....possibility ride height sensors giving the wrong signal to air suspension control module thus causing air struts to be over filled? Also possible issue with air suspension control module or wiring for that system. Before going in depth i think the dealer should perform a ride height calibration . Anyways I hope you figure this out .... goodluck ! And thanks for responding...please let us know what results come up .
Old 09-30-17, 01:13 AM
Gillz460L
Rookie

Also do you know what lights are illuminated on the dash... ? I talked about the height sensors and control module... most times if another circuit is malfunctioning the vehicle will do odd things as in multiple errors set causing other systems to be in a type of limp mode or protection mode . Hope to hear from you soon !
Old 10-05-17, 06:06 AM
craig1020
Driver School Candidate

Alright the car is still at the dealer. They called me Monday to tell me that they found a wire a skid control wire that is faulty and also mentione a speed sensor that is faulty. Someone at a Lexus dealer in parts over in Roseville California tells me that these are one and the same just 2 different terms. The dealer tells me that when they make this repair that the vehicle will lower and raise however the bouncy aspect that the car is doing may or may not go away. They ordered the parts and I authorized for them to do this and I will know more next week. About $1250 for this much of the repair and they offer a 10% discount. Ill post more next week on this project.
Old 10-05-17, 06:10 AM
craig1020
Driver School Candidate

So far as lights go the ABS and the Pre collision lights are on.in the instrument panel of my 08 LS 600 HL. They came on after I had my front passenger axleshaft replaced. Probably did damage sensors in there during this repair. This was not done by the dealer it was a guy who had a tire shop and did some suspension work also. It did run ok after he did the job just the lights came on. Then I had another suspension shop to replace both front air struts and then the bouncy ride started. Which it never was bouncy on the old worn out air struts and it also would raise and lower on the old struts. All of these new problems began after we started on this road to repair.
Old 10-15-17, 12:53 PM
craig1020
Driver School Candidate

Have found out that the fault lies inside of these struts. Air bag will not hold air in one and the other stuck in high position and will not come down even after air disconnected. I will have to start over on this one and get 2 more front air struts get those in and then diagnose from there unless it drives right after that. Ill post in a while after they are installed.
Old 10-16-17, 12:26 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Swapping them out with the same company? I'm definitely curious to see if the next set comes in messed up as well.

Quick Reply: air struts replaced car will not lower or raise now 08 Lexus ls600hl and ideas on whi