LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Door edge guards

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-17, 02:15 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Door edge guards

Hello all:

I have been debating with myself as to whether to install the factory door edge guards I purchased.

They are the factory color and when I watched the video on installation, they looked really nice.

However, my dilemma is:

Do they ruin the body lines?

They are not that wide or overly stout looking, but every time I look at the side of my Lexus, it looks so clean and crisp.

Does anyone have these installed? If so, did you have them put on after you bought your car, or were they already on it when you bought it?

Do do you think it detracts from the appearance?

I know now this is not a dramatic change or even a big "issue", but I would like to know what some of ya'll think about it.

Thanks for for taking the time to read, consider and respond.

Best,

Cubby
Old 08-27-17, 03:22 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I think cars look far worse with the door edge guards that without (even if there are minor chips in the edge paint from hitting something). Just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Cubbylex (08-27-17)
Old 08-27-17, 03:38 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I have them and you can hardly even see them because the color matches perfectly..... I think they are a "must have" accessory to prevent paint chips.
The trick to installing them is to remove ALL wax prior to installing them........ Wipe down the door edge 3-4 times with alcohol to make sure the edge is extra clean. When I purchase the car the dealer installed them and one of the guards came off a week later and I re-installed them myself doing it the "right way" by cleaning the edge properly and they have been "holding on" great for two years.
Cubbylex (08-27-17)
Old 08-27-17, 09:33 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I once tried putting some clear door edge guards on the wife's ES because, let's face it, she needs them. However, she was repulsed by them and ordered their immediate removal. I didn't think she would even notice it since she can't tell her car apart from a white Honda Accord in the parking lot. Noticed she did though. Go figure.

I like the added protection of the door edge guards but once I had them on my wife's ES I quietly thought to myself, "glad I don't need these". I do find they break up the clean lines of the car. Sorry.
Cubbylex (08-27-17)
Old 08-28-17, 03:48 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I have them in all cars, a must have to avoid paint chips. With proper color matching edge guard, its hardly noticeable. I have used 3M door edge guards. If you don't need them any longer, easy to remove too......
Cubbylex (08-28-17)
Old 08-28-17, 11:58 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

People with edge guards are jerks. Tell me I'm wrong.....
Old 08-28-17, 12:26 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
?????????????
Old 08-28-17, 02:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I don't understand needing them to prevent chips. Why are you guys opening your doors into things and chipping the edges?
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
Cubbylex (08-28-17), djkneekap (09-01-17)
Old 08-28-17, 02:38 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Each to their own and I've never cared for them. I think they look tacky on some vehicles and serve no purpose.
The following 2 users liked this post by dlbuckls10:
Cubbylex (08-28-17), GR6RR (08-29-17)
Old 08-28-17, 04:57 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
?????????????
Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't understand needing them to prevent chips. Why are you guys opening your doors into things and chipping the edges?
This. Just don't open your door into things (especially other people's vehicles). I could see the use if you have a narrow garage, but otherwise just be attentive to where you park and what's around when opening doors.
Cubbylex (08-28-17)
Old 08-28-17, 05:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I have a narrow garage, I have bumpers installed on the wall, don't chip my doors.
Cubbylex (08-28-17)
Old 08-28-17, 06:58 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

You are wrong because I have them on my wife's car and I am NOT a jerk..... So shut your punk mouth because you don't know me and I have not attacked you on any of your posts.

Why do I have them? Because my wife (who loves her mom) carts around her mom who is 93 years old along with a few of her 90-96 year old lady friends who have walkers and wheel chairs and these women are NOT able to "control" the door around wheel chairs and have a hard time exiting and entering the car so I installed them to prevent door edge chips WHEN and IF they would open the door and hit the door edge with their wheel chair or walker.
She also parks inside tight spaced public parking garages and tries to get on the end space next to the concrete wall or column in the public garage.
Cubbylex (08-28-17)
Old 08-28-17, 11:06 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
You are wrong because I have them on my wife's car and I am NOT a jerk..... So shut your punk mouth because you don't know me and I have not attacked you on any of your posts.

Why do I have them? Because my wife (who loves her mom) carts around her mom who is 93 years old along with a few of her 90-96 year old lady friends who have walkers and wheel chairs and these women are NOT able to "control" the door around wheel chairs and have a hard time exiting and entering the car so I installed them to prevent door edge chips WHEN and IF they would open the door and hit the door edge with their wheel chair or walker.
She also parks inside tight spaced public parking garages and tries to get on the end space next to the concrete wall or column in the public garage.
Like chuckinnj, I transport family members with walkers and canes. Normally, I get handicapped parking, but there are times when handicapped spaces are taken. It does take a bit of gymnastics to keep my doors away from other vehicles in the next space, but I don't like to hit others either-it is annoying as h%*l when someone does my car so I don't reciprocate just because I can.

These are factory and are the same color so it's a matter of aesthetics for each of us. Thank you all for your comments, either positive or negative and some questionable.

I'm really trying to keep my car the best looking for the longest period of time. I do not change cars annually or every few years, keep them for ten or more so it makes me want to keep it as clean and fresh as possible.

Once again, thanks for the input, as I really like this site for the advice, tips and comments. That is what makes it so successful.

Best,

Cubby
Old 08-29-17, 11:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

213374U, there is no need to make such a disparaging personal comment (sweeping or otherwise) at any point in the future... don't like these things on a car, fine to say so but as you see people have valid reasons you might not anticipate.

Chuck, likewise for your reply to him. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...ponse_comments

Lets keep this thread mature and productive please.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
213374U (08-29-17), Cubbylex (08-29-17)
Old 08-29-17, 12:50 PM
Ls600hl60
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Door guards

I think it's a personal preference I personally won't put them on my car love all the body lines

Quick Reply: Door edge guards