LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

18 years of Lexus, no more

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-17, 05:08 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I always have a Porsche also, my 11 Cayenne v6 is quickly making my LS redundant. My brother has a very nice Hyundai Genisis sedan, the dealer experience is third world compared to Lexus.
They really don't give two ****s about customers...
Old 09-09-17, 05:18 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
I too question the Lexus direction for the future. Interesting how the original founders of Lexus brought out a beautiful new streamlined well engineered car that surpassed the boxy tired German vehicles of the day. Now it seems Lexus is resting on their laurels while all the German models have blown by Lexus with a better look and tech.
THIS!.

We simply ignore the fact how German cars improved their reliability while still keeping their cars technologically well advanced compared to Japanese cars. Its very unfair to compare std luxury car such as LS against technologically advanced cars such as MB S.

When more technology is integrated it brings complexity which unlike traditional mechanical engineering, hard to test for long term reliability. Let Lexus build a car like S and still show/maintain reliability as in their 2000s, then I will agree German engineering is inferior to Japanese.

Please spend sometime in MB website and then tell me what we drive can be considered as 'luxury' car or not.......

Remember the post few weeks back about what options not to be included when looking for a used LS?. That list had options such as air suspension, ML audio, radar cruise etc. So, we consider these basic options (may be except radar cruise) are unreliable even in Lexus. But expect better reliability from German cars which has more advanced features than LS.

At this day and age I would expect live google map and not hard drive and DVD based. I would also like watching (of course passengers) satellite TV while on road, lane departure assist to keep the car at the middle of the road 'with out' human hand touching ever..........

Recently read an article on self driving car patents. Guess which auto companies hold highest number of patents on self driving cars.................it is Audi not even Google!!!!
Old 09-09-17, 07:00 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Etseng66
I use paddle shift a lot, that is the one of the reason I bought F sport
Well, if they are true sequential shifters, that's fine but if they are the pathetic excuses used in the IS250/350, they are worse than useless. The "shifters" in these cars are little more (no more) that upper and lower gear limiters which can "force" a shift if you move up and down a sufficient number of gears. Don't know what the rest of the Lexus lineup use.
Old 09-10-17, 10:22 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
THIS!.

We simply ignore the fact how German cars improved their reliability while still keeping their cars technologically well advanced compared to Japanese cars. Its very unfair to compare std luxury car such as LS against technologically advanced cars such as MB S.

When more technology is integrated it brings complexity which unlike traditional mechanical engineering, hard to test for long term reliability. Let Lexus build a car like S and still show/maintain reliability as in their 2000s, then I will agree German engineering is inferior to Japanese.

Please spend sometime in MB website and then tell me what we drive can be considered as 'luxury' car or not.......

Remember the post few weeks back about what options not to be included when looking for a used LS?. That list had options such as air suspension, ML audio, radar cruise etc. So, we consider these basic options (may be except radar cruise) are unreliable even in Lexus. But expect better reliability from German cars which has more advanced features than LS.

At this day and age I would expect live google map and not hard drive and DVD based. I would also like watching (of course passengers) satellite TV while on road, lane departure assist to keep the car at the middle of the road 'with out' human hand touching ever..........

Recently read an article on self driving car patents. Guess which auto companies hold highest number of patents on self driving cars.................it is Audi not even Google!!!!
"According to a report put together by Thompson Reuters’ Intellectual Property and Science Division, Toyota spent the last couple of years filing hundreds of patents related to autonomous driving. The report said that Toyota’s 1,400 patents outstripped any other automaker or tech company by a factor of two."

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/01...other-company/

"Based on the headlines you might think that Google single-handedly created the self-driving car, but when it comes to patents for autonomous driving technology, the IT giant is no match for Robert Bosch, Toyota and Volkswagen.

Since 2010, Bosch has applied for 2,710 patents related to autonomous driving followed by Toyota’s 2,061. VW ranked third (1,173) with Japanese supplier Denso (1,022) and Honda (882) rounding out the top five."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...nology-patents
The following users liked this post:
djkneekap (09-11-17)
Old 09-10-17, 04:45 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
"According to a report put together by Thompson Reuters’ Intellectual Property and Science Division, Toyota spent the last couple of years filing hundreds of patents related to autonomous driving. The report said that Toyota’s 1,400 patents outstripped any other automaker or tech company by a factor of two."

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/01...other-company/

"Based on the headlines you might think that Google single-handedly created the self-driving car, but when it comes to patents for autonomous driving technology, the IT giant is no match for Robert Bosch, Toyota and Volkswagen.

Since 2010, Bosch has applied for 2,710 patents related to autonomous driving followed by Toyota’s 2,061. VW ranked third (1,173) with Japanese supplier Denso (1,022) and Honda (882) rounding out the top five."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...nology-patents
I tried to find that article I read last week. During that search I come across this article which again points to Audi being holding higher number of such patents. I agree these numbers and ranks may be bit skewed based on how patent type/category are viewed.....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/oliverw.../#7753391c41ef
Old 09-20-17, 04:53 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

While German's reliability has decidedly Improved ( I believe we can thank Lexus/Infinti for that), it is not like there parts and labor rates have come down commensurately. And while certainly better, I do think many believe them superior to the Japanese.
Old 09-20-17, 05:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Parts and labor rates are up there on a Lexus too. What’s nice though is that anybody can work on it.
Old 09-20-17, 06:11 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Parts and labor rates are up there on a Lexus too. What’s nice though is that anybody can work on it.
To be sure. On the good side, excluding the air suspension (which is quite well engineered; it is just when getting up in miles preventative maintenance is to be expected and the parts is quite high)
Especially with our car, it is very DIY friendly. I have to think part of it is having a relatively small V8 which makes working in the engine bay fair more pleasurable as opposed to those who shoehorn a large engine in a smallish car.
Old 09-21-17, 06:17 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I really disliked the spindle grill when it first came out but, four years on, I've taken a liking to it.
It really does grow on you. I also hated the look of it when it came out but, now it's growing on me... lol
Old 09-21-17, 08:39 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
I agree all corporations seems to be changing for worst and nothing is like it used to be but I still love my LS 460L.
this is why i went to tesla...
Old 09-22-17, 06:54 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
It really does grow on you. I also hated the look of it when it came out but, now it's growing on me... lol

I wouldn't say "it's grown on me"...but I don't vomit anymore when I see it. Maybe I'm coming around.
Old 09-22-17, 10:35 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceko
I traded in my 2008 ls for an Audi A6 Prestige.
Check back in after a year and let us know how many $$ thousands you've spent on maintenance to keep that prestige going!

I like Audi, but they are right up there with BMW and Mercedes when it comes to cost of ownership! Let us know what loaner car you driving next week!

LOL
Old 09-23-17, 05:23 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

It's amazing how many people don't like the new grill design on the 460, to each his own I guess when it comes to looks, but personally I think it looks ten times better than the nose on the 07-12 LS460's. If there's one thing I could change on my car it would be the nose, and I'm not talking just the grill but the entire front...never been thrilled with it, very plain, Toyota Camry-ish. Love the more aggressive hour glass design and the interior looks much better in my opinion as well. I think in a couple of years the 2013 LS460 will be the greatest bargain in the used car market, can you imagine buying one of these things for $20k-$25k? And those days are coming. Now that will be a super value,you'll be getting a drive train that has had nearly a decade of refinement and a redesigned modern interior and exterior, with all the modern ammnetities of a high end luxury car.
Old 09-23-17, 06:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
Check back in after a year and let us know how many $$ thousands you've spent on maintenance to keep that prestige going!

I like Audi, but they are right up there with BMW and Mercedes when it comes to cost of ownership! Let us know what loaner car you driving next week!

LOL
I have a friend who has a previous generation A6, I think it’s a 2010, she’s had no problems whatsoever. I know others with other modern yet older Audi’s and it’s the same story.

The “Audi unreliable” thing is really overstated. I know way more people with older problematic BMWs and Mercedes. I think as far as a German car goes, Audi is the way to go.
Old 09-23-17, 07:32 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I think as far as a German car goes, Audi is the way to go.
Agreed. If you're insistent on driving a German car, Audi would be my only choice. Even then, I'd still be gun-shy. Audi has steadily climbed the reliability scale. Porsche has scored highly as well.

Quick Reply: 18 years of Lexus, no more