LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Treat your door seals with Shin Etsu grease. Really...go do it now

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-17, 08:46 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I thought it tasted good.
Old 09-05-17, 08:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
I thought it tasted good.
Same here! And I got a great nights sleep afterwards!
Old 09-05-17, 09:01 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Same here! And I got a great nights sleep afterwards!
Will it help with my back pain and stiff knees?
Old 09-05-17, 09:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You'll forget you ever had those problems lol
Old 09-06-17, 12:19 AM
dunston
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I just cleaned and treated every single piece of rubber trim I could find on the doors, trunk and sunroof. As for a solider closing door, I'd maybe give it a 2 out of 10. As for wind noise, I took a quick drive down the street and could still hear the wind noise in my drivers side window crystal clear at 40 mph. So far not worth $20 and my time to grease up the rubber and now have grease in my doorjambs. At lease I can see where the rubber is hitting the metal now when the doors close. Will give everything a really good wipedown this weekend. Maybe it will help soaking in the next few days. Just my personal experience so far.
Old 09-06-17, 06:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunston
Well I just cleaned and treated every single piece of rubber trim I could find on the doors, trunk and sunroof. As for a solider closing door, I'd maybe give it a 2 out of 10. As for wind noise, I took a quick drive down the street and could still hear the wind noise in my drivers side window crystal clear at 40 mph. So far not worth $20 and my time to grease up the rubber and now have grease in my doorjambs. At lease I can see where the rubber is hitting the metal now when the doors close. Will give everything a really good wipedown this weekend. Maybe it will help soaking in the next few days. Just my personal experience so far.
If you hear wind noise like that at 40 MPH, you have a larger concern than dried out door seals. The "wind noise" it helped on my car is something you might hear at 75 MPH in a crosswind. The car had no wind noise at 40 MPH before I treated the seals. At 75 MPH absent a crosswind all you hear are wisps of air moving around the roof and windshield, which is how it was in my 430 and 400. My only area of concern is in a crosswind it seemed louder than it should be, but the shin etsu seems to have helped that.

Like I said, it's not magic. Have you done research here into wind noise? Sounds like you need to do the jmcraney fix, perhaps replacement of the front window runs and sounds like your doors require adjustment and perhaps replacement of the seals.

It's not a waste of time, the point is treating the seals periodically helps them seal better, and prolongs the life of the seals. If a cars seals are already past it it's not going to resurrect them.
Old 09-06-17, 07:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To add to the point above, this is the repair I think you need to make:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...noise-fix.html

For background you can read this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...d-threads.html

With your LS460 being a 2007, and with the description you have of your wind noise I think you will find much of whats in that thread familiar.
The following users liked this post:
dunston (09-06-17)
Old 09-06-17, 11:34 AM
dunston
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To add to the point above, this is the repair I think you need to make:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...noise-fix.html

For background you can read this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...d-threads.html

With your LS460 being a 2007, and with the description you have of your wind noise I think you will find much of whats in that thread familiar.

Thank you! That's my next project now. 👍🏻
Old 09-06-17, 12:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No problem. Some people have also had similar results just replacing the little black triangle trim with the new parts off the 2013+ model, or some combination of the two.
Old 09-06-17, 02:31 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

There's another wind noise fix involving bending the lower window seals (at the top of the door panels). Do a search for this (running out the door right now and didn't have time to find it).
Old 09-06-17, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yes there is, good point.
Old 09-06-17, 05:10 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I just received this from Amazon. The container has a few warnings that I'm afraid of using on the door seals because I have two little kids that might touch them and then touch their eyes or mouth. I'm thinking about returning it. Are you guys concern about the warning?
NOT concerned at all because it will soak in..... OF course do not eat this stuff or put it on your skin but once it is on the rubber it will soak in.
BTW! If I was concerned about chemicals I would NOT be living in NJ.
The following users liked this post:
Cape600L (01-17-23)
Old 09-09-17, 11:50 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
There's another wind noise fix involving bending the lower window seals (at the top of the door panels). Do a search for this (running out the door right now and didn't have time to find it).
Yes there is, good point.

Yes, but only like one or two folks have actually done it as far as I can tell. Not really any good feedback on how effective it was either.

i just bought some of your miracle grease - will see if it makes any improvement.
Old 09-10-17, 11:45 AM
salesguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could't resist and ordered a tube off Amazon. My 2013 F-sport wasn't giving me any seal-related issues but what the heck.

I treated all the rubber on the doors, under the hood (it was all nasty) and the trunk.

The rubber felt nice and supple afterwards, can't say I noticed a difference in noise.
Old 09-10-17, 02:18 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Ok, my 2 cents worth - my seals were still pliable but I always err on the side of caution with seals because I used to drive GM products and they seemed to dry out more quickly ( my opinion). So, I always made sure to keep them lubed up.

I have noticed a bit more isolation from cross winds as Steve mentioned, but if you have wind noise that is really noticeable, check out the recommendation links.

I also did the seals on my 07 Navigator and really noticed the quietness when I did a 200 mile round trip to my folks place on Lake Texoma. Driving the tollway and then 75 can be noisy, not just road conditions, but traffic can be really bad because of all the 18 wheelers.

If any of you love your car as much as I do, this $20 tube helps me keep it longer, then it is worth the time and energy to me.

Thanks Steve for the recommendation.

Cubby

Quick Reply: Treat your door seals with Shin Etsu grease. Really...go do it now