LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Replacing OEM Struts (non air ) - What are the options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 09:33 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Replacing OEM Struts (non air ) - What are the options?

Sorry for this thread im just looking for some up to date info

I have just ordered a set of tanabe NF210 lowering springs and now im looking for the best non air strut that would be closest to OEM

I assume its going to be KYB's since they manufacture the OEM struts , but are there any other respected , well reviewed alternatives that I should look into before ordering?

Would the KYB's that I order from Ebay be the same ones that the dealer would be getting if i ordered through them ?

Id almost prefer a newer, more up to date strut rather then the 10 year old models that originally came with the car.

Any info is appreciated

thanks
Old 08-05-17, 05:44 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

KYB's here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-LS460-...BUhwy~&vxp=mtr

I used these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Set-4-N...hWqSN3&vxp=mtr
I've had them installed since last year and they are working great and have held up great too. The shop I used said they seemed like good quality. Others here at CL have used them as well and are happy.

And then there's these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAGG-SHS-4-...5Ywghy&vxp=mtr

If I had seen these I would have went with them. Cant go wrong for the price.
The following users liked this post:
Tec80 (08-05-17)
Old 08-05-17, 08:08 AM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Sorry for this thread im just looking for some up to date info

I have just ordered a set of tanabe NF210 lowering springs and now im looking for the best non air strut that would be closest to OEM

I assume its going to be KYB's since they manufacture the OEM struts , but are there any other respected , well reviewed alternatives that I should look into before ordering?

Would the KYB's that I order from Ebay be the same ones that the dealer would be getting if i ordered through them ?

Id almost prefer a newer, more up to date strut rather then the 10 year old models that originally came with the car.

Any info is appreciated

thanks
Are you converting from air? If so, what other parts will you need besides the spring and strut? I'm guessing the top hat and hardware will be needed?
Old 08-05-17, 12:01 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Roadfrog - Thanks for finding these links! Did you replace or re-use the front upper strut mounts? How many miles were on the OEM struts when they were replaced, and how much of a difference did you notice with the new ones?
Old 08-05-17, 06:18 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
Roadfrog - Thanks for finding these links! Did you replace or re-use the front upper strut mounts? How many miles were on the OEM struts when they were replaced, and how much of a difference did you notice with the new ones?
No worries. All parts were reused. There was about 110k miles on them when replaced. The only reason I replaced them, was because one was leaking (Driver side rear). I figured if I replace one, I may as replace all of them...especially at that price.

As for the difference in ride, I would have told anyone that my car drove wonderfully before the change. However, after changing the struts, it was immediately noticeable how more settled the ride became and made the car feel "tighter" and "like-new" again. As many experts will tell you, shocks and struts are one of those things you don't notice deteriorating until you replace them. The degradation in ride is so gradual that your senses get used to it. Then when you replace them, you get that, "Oh! THAT's how my car should drive".
Old 08-06-17, 01:22 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
KYB's here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-LS460-...BUhwy~&vxp=mtr

I used these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Set-4-N...hWqSN3&vxp=mtr
I've had them installed since last year and they are working great and have held up great too. The shop I used said they seemed like good quality. Others here at CL have used them as well and are happy.

And then there's these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAGG-SHS-4-...5Ywghy&vxp=mtr

If I had seen these I would have went with them. Cant go wrong for the price.
Thanks , ive seen your thread when you installed those struts and its tempting to try them out for the price, but for the peace of mind and hopefully proven long term reliability I will bite the bullet and go with the KYB's I think

Originally Posted by teedub21
Are you converting from air? If so, what other parts will you need besides the spring and strut? I'm guessing the top hat and hardware will be needed?
Yes I am converting form air

I like the ride quality and I do have confidence my OEM air will last , considering its still very low mileage , but again its a peace of mind thing, I rack up a ton of miles each year and dont want any future headaches.

Regarding the hardware , one thing with this specific part of the forum, people seem to keep alot of info to themself when doing aftermarket stuff, I had to find out on my own that the oem air is 100% fully adjustable to any height specs you want, I had to find out how to do it on my own by experimenting on it, and regarding the "Air to strut" conversion there is also little to no info or DIY's so im unsure of whats needed to be honest.

KYB sells a strut mounting kit, so im assuming I will need that , then there is the issue with the dash warning lights, again not much info other then "pull the fuse" , so I really dont know how smoothly its all going to go but ill be reporting back with all relevant info as it goes
Old 08-08-17, 08:35 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
No worries. All parts were reused. There was about 110k miles on them when replaced. The only reason I replaced them, was because one was leaking (Driver side rear). I figured if I replace one, I may as replace all of them...especially at that price.

As for the difference in ride, I would have told anyone that my car drove wonderfully before the change. However, after changing the struts, it was immediately noticeable how more settled the ride became and made the car feel "tighter" and "like-new" again. As many experts will tell you, shocks and struts are one of those things you don't notice deteriorating until you replace them. The degradation in ride is so gradual that your senses get used to it. Then when you replace them, you get that, "Oh! THAT's how my car should drive".
I wonder if the motor mounts would also make a big deal in ride, seeing OEM ones are like $140 each on ebay (new)

My car runs nice but, hard bumps are starting to get hard.
Old 08-08-17, 09:00 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Yes I am converting form air

I like the ride quality and I do have confidence my OEM air will last , considering its still very low mileage , but again its a peace of mind thing, I rack up a ton of miles each year and dont want any future headaches.

Regarding the hardware , one thing with this specific part of the forum, people seem to keep alot of info to themself when doing aftermarket stuff, I had to find out on my own that the oem air is 100% fully adjustable to any height specs you want, I had to find out how to do it on my own by experimenting on it, and regarding the "Air to strut" conversion there is also little to no info or DIY's so im unsure of whats needed to be honest.

KYB sells a strut mounting kit, so im assuming I will need that , then there is the issue with the dash warning lights, again not much info other then "pull the fuse" , so I really dont know how smoothly its all going to go but ill be reporting back with all relevant info as it goes
I'll just say, please keep this post updated as you go, myself and many others here would love to have this information before diving in ourselves

Last edited by 213374U; 08-08-17 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-08-17, 12:23 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

No problem

I'll update as it goes

I just ordered the KYB gas a just struts from rock auto

they were cheaper then ebay and personally I am very fond of rock auto so I'm glad to give them business

i just need the new mounting kit which will be ordered shortly

if anyone knows or can think of anything else I might need for the conversion pls let me know

thanks
Old 11-20-18, 04:13 AM
hippchip
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem

I'll update as it goes

I just ordered the KYB gas a just struts from rock auto

they were cheaper then ebay and personally I am very fond of rock auto so I'm glad to give them business

i just need the new mounting kit which will be ordered shortly

if anyone knows or can think of anything else I might need for the conversion pls let me know

thanks
1WILLI1, What did you find out about the mounts? I have an UL and bought struts assemblies from a non UL LS430, changed the struts with new sport OEM's from mylexusparts.com and the struts failed within a month. mylexusparts sent me new ones but they also failed. So I wonder...did I miss something? Like are there additional parts that need to be installed? Why would 2 sets of struts fail so quickly? Hard to believe I was given defective struts twice. I need to get this fixed but dont want to spend the $$$ only to have it fail again. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-18, 01:29 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hippchip
1WILLI1, What did you find out about the mounts? I have an UL and bought struts assemblies from a non UL LS430, changed the struts with new sport OEM's from mylexusparts.com and the struts failed within a month. mylexusparts sent me new ones but they also failed. So I wonder...did I miss something? Like are there additional parts that need to be installed? Why would 2 sets of struts fail so quickly? Hard to believe I was given defective struts twice. I need to get this fixed but dont want to spend the $$$ only to have it fail again. Any help would be appreciated.
Hey hipp

not sure man , my parts are sitting here in my room for the past year , I haven't done anything with it and still on factory air.

I bought kyb mounts to go with the struts and tannabe springs, im not sure about your situation as it seems like you are in a 430
Old 11-25-18, 06:56 PM
My3Boyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

I have a 09 460 L with 129,000 mile with the air ride. I have had the car for about a year and I must say the ride has always been very bouncy!! Last month my front driver side bag popped a leak. I took it to the dealer and they told me that it would cost $1,800.00 (1,400.00 for part and 400.00 for labor). After so many comments on this site I feel the need to convert from air to a Strut and spring system!! I t will cost me about 1,200.00 to change the entire system. Thats a bargain when I think about having to replace the other 3 as they go. I'm looking at the StrutMaster conversion kit. Any problems/ concerns with this system from the club?????
Old 11-25-18, 07:14 PM
My3Boyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

I haven't had them installed yet, But I'm looking into Strutmasters conversation kit!
Old 11-25-18, 08:13 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't go with the strutmaster conversion kit , its no name brand aftermarket that isn't going to be on par with KYB struts or another name brand option

Few people have had bad experiences with these "conversion kits"