LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Out with 2008 LS600hL, in with 2017 Genesis G90

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 10:01 AM
rgs92
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like that there is a grip area at the bottom (6 o'clock) position on the steering wheel, not a spoke.
Old 08-03-17, 10:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Does the G90 offer a wood trimmed steering wheel? Being nitpicky, that would be the one thing the interior is missing IMO.
It does not, which is something I would miss too.

Unfortunately that's really gone out of style. Only cars that still have that are the LS460, the S Class. 7 Series, A8, CT6, etc don't offer a wood leather wheel.
Old 08-03-17, 10:57 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Yep, the steering wheel lacks any real wood. I do have a bit of a preference for a partial wood steering wheel, but it's by no means a deal-breaker for me, and it will be nice to have a fully heated steering wheel this winter.
Old 08-03-17, 11:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Other companies do a fully heated wood leather wheel. Lexus just cheaps out there.

My Grand Cherokee had a fully heated wood leather wheel which was awesome.
Old 08-08-17, 09:36 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Congrats, riknchar! You have a winner! The G90 value is hard to match. Safe travels!
Old 08-09-17, 11:12 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Congrats on the new car. The interior is really beautiful. I like the car from almost every angle but there's something about the front that isn't overly appealing to my eye for a luxury sedan. It reminds me of certain Ford and Chrysler models.
Old 08-09-17, 09:19 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good choice riknchar. I was considering doing the same but I still love my LS600. I was going to give it to my older son when he got his driver's permit a few months ago but he is simply too careless and i couldn't bring myself to it. I ended up getting him a CT200. My younger son is more careful with his belongings so it will most likely go to him in 3 years. If the G90 leases are still this good by that time, I may go that route.

Please keep us posted with your ups and downs with your G90!
Old 08-09-17, 11:28 PM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congrats on your purchase!

I am definitely feeling what you are saying about the LS and the G90. I saw the G90 and man I want one but the price was a little high. Maybe I will find a lease that is good as yours hopefully. The LS to me has gotten boring to drive, yes it's reliable, quiet, has some power, great sound system but I feel like it's getting dry. My co-worker bought a 2013 LS for 60k and I feel like it drives identical to my 07 LS. I will not buy the newer LS just because of new interior and exterior. As you all are saying Lexus is now competing with Honda pretty much theres nothing that says WOW about it anymore IMO.
Old 08-10-17, 05:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Who has said they're competing with Honda?!
Old 08-10-17, 06:27 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by LMoney4o8
I am definitely feeling what you are saying about the LS and the G90. I saw the G90 and man I want one but the price was a little high. Maybe I will find a lease that is good as yours hopefully. The LS to me has gotten boring to drive, yes it's reliable, quiet, has some power, great sound system but I feel like it's getting dry. My co-worker bought a 2013 LS for 60k and I feel like it drives identical to my 07 LS. I will not buy the newer LS just because of new interior and exterior. As you all are saying Lexus is now competing with Honda pretty much theres nothing that says WOW about it anymore IMO.
I will say Hondas are very dependable, reliable and almost trouble free. The G90 is nice and well built but it's still new and reliability, dependability, resale value, etc remains to be seen. The LS have never been a great driving car like the BMW, MB, Audi, etc and it probably never will be and many may find its boring to drive. The LS isn't perfect but compared to the BMW, MB, Audi it's sure a lot more dependable and reliable own.
Old 08-10-17, 06:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
I The G90 is nice and well built but it's still new and reliability, dependability, resale value, etc remains to be seen.
That's why you lease the G90.

Bear in mind he's saving $320 a month from my lease, and mine is a low option SWB car. An LS optioned like his G90 would lease for $1,100 or so, meaning he's saving ~$500 a month vs a comparable LS. That's $6,000 a year cheaper, $18,000 less over 3 years. I don't see how you would get $18,000 more enjoyment out of leasing an LS for 3 years. If it were $100 a month, even $200 a month sure stick with what we know. But $500 a month?!? I mean, I could get a G90 and an Overland Grand Cherokee for the weekends for that money! Actually, less because I could get less miles on each.
Old 10-25-17, 12:26 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Update: Well, it's been nearly 3 months since I made the leap from the 2008 Lexus LS600hL to the 2017 Genesis G90 3.3L Twin Turbo. So how do I like the Genesis so far? LOVE IT!!! There's really nothing bad to say about my LS600--it was a spectacular luxury car and gave me 3 years of nearly flawless service. But the Genesis (to me) has really raised the bar in terms of modern luxury, and I don't regret my decision for a moment.

Things I like about the Genesis:
1. Seats/interior: The leather seems way softer and more natural than what I had in the LS600 (semi-analine). The Nappa leather is a very high grade, clearly, and I'm really impressed every time I get in. The seats in general feel way more comfortable, with the 22-way adjustments. I really like the ability to adjust the side bolsters in to make a snug, custom fit for my body. The LS600 seats (while very nice) were a bit more "slippery," and I didn't get that feeling of being custom fitted. The center armrest in my LS600 really had more of a vinyl feel to it that I never cared for. I LOVE the LED ambient lighting under the dash trim that is user-changeable to select from 7 different color schemes. I know the newer LSs have similar ambient lighting, but my LS600 didn't, and I really like it.
2. Safety Features: In a word, amazing! I would not want to ever own a car that doesn't have them. I know that lots of the same features are available on the LS (for a price), but I love that they were included on the Genesis as standard equipment. I find myself using the surround-view camera every day pulling into my parking spot, I have been saved a couple of times already by the rear cross-traffic detection warning (though I probably would have stopped before getting hit either way), the pedestrian warning works as advertised, the Lane Keep Assist is quickly becoming a must-have for me, and Genesis seems to have tuned it very well to not be too intrusive while still being very effective. The Heads-Up-Display is also becoming very important to me, as I now rarely have to actually look at the instrument cluster for anything. The Dynamic Radar Cruise Control works flawlessly all the way to a complete stop, and will resume moving with a tap on the button in stop-and-go traffic.
3. The huge 12 inch center monitor is a thing of beauty, and the scroll-wheel based system is very intuitive and easy to use.
4. The car rides and drives with extreme serenity. I'd say it is very close to as quiet as my LS600, and I do appreciate the fact that I get zero wind noise in the car (I had done the trim fix on my LS, but could never completely eliminate an annoying wind noise with cross winds). Yesterday here in Nebraska, the winds were howling at 40-50 mph. Inside the car, even with a cross wind, I heard nothing.
5. Engine: I'm very happy with the Twin Turbo V6 motor in the Genesis. It has more torque (and the torque is available very low in the RPM band) than the LS460 4.6L V8, and for everyday driving, is really a pleasure. I think the new 2018 Lexus LS's twin-turbo V6 will be a hit, once people start experiencing it. I don't miss my old V8 at all.
6. Exclusivity: I have yet to see another G90 "in the wild," and with the low sales volume of this car, probably won't see one for quite some time. People are constantly asking me what kind of car it is, and I've had lots of "Nice car!" comments from random strangers. The styling has really grown on me, and I love how large, stately, refined, and conservative the car looks when I walk up to it. Nothing over the top, but really understated elegance, which really resonates with me.
7. Reliability: So far, so good. Zero problems with the car so far. One related note: I am really happy that the car does not have an air-ride suspension, but still has very customizable suspension settings. I am using the "Individual" suspension mode which allows me to set everything to my own taste. I set the suspension damping to the softest, most comfortable setting and the transmission to a smooth shifting schedule, while keeping the braking, steering at a more aggressive setting. It's cool that I can control these things, and won't have to worry about the inevitable air ride shock failure at some point down the road.

Things I miss:
1. The fuel economy for my LS600 was a bit better (around 22 mpg in town). I'm getting around 19-20 mpg so far with the Genesis. I got around 26 mpg with the Genesis on a 400 mile trip, which was about the same as I used to get with my LS600. I know the LS460s are getting closer to 30 mpg on the highway. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the fuel economy in the Genesis.
2. A Lexus LS does command a bit more respect by the general public, although I'm not really very much into the status symbol part of luxury car ownership. People are a bit confused by the whole Genesis line still, and there hasn't been widespread advertising or many of these cars on the road to establish a reputation. My LS600 was extremely reliable, although I was honestly growing a bit more concerned about the eventual hybrid batteries failure and the resulting $6k cost of replacement.

So consider me a big Genesis G90 convert! I'll update this post once a year has gone by to provide a longer-term view of reliability, etc. I still lurk in the LS thread many days, and enjoy hearing how everyone is doing with their LS's. I'm sure the new Lexus LS will surpass the Genesis G90 in many respects (but at quite a price premium), and I'll be taking one for a test drive when they become available locally early next year.

Oh, and I did recently notice that my old LS600hL is now for sale at Lexus of Omaha for $25K. I traded it into a Genesis dealer unaffiliated with Lexus of Omaha, so I'm really not sure how it ended up there (perhaps my dealer wholesaled it to Lexus?). It's somewhat interesting that the car hasn't sold over the past 3 months. I think $25K is a fair price for the car from the Lexus dealer (I got $21.5K in trade). Perhaps people are afraid of the hybrid battery failure potential? If anyone is in the market for a very well cared for LS600hL and is in the Omaha area, I think my old car would be a good deal (if you don't mind worrying about hybrid battery failure).

If anyone has any questions about my G90 experience, feel free to fire them my way.
The following 2 users liked this post by riknchar:
Chaos236 (03-17-18), dmandrsn (03-08-18)
Old 10-25-17, 01:57 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That is good news you like it so much and it has been reliable so far. I wish the G90 was a few years older, it would definitely be on my used car shopping list if it was and will likely be a car I get in the future as I like just about everything about it. I think I will go with the V8 though.
Old 10-25-17, 02:47 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Glad you're enjoying the G90 so far! I have yet to see a single one on the road here in LA, which surprises me.
Old 10-25-17, 04:08 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Good to hear about your G90 experience, and the list of things you like is very valuable information. The G90 is definitely on my watch list - I'll be very interested to see how much they go for on the used market in a couple of years.

I've only seen three of them on the road so far, and I live within a few miles of two Genesis dealerships.

Quick Reply: Out with 2008 LS600hL, in with 2017 Genesis G90