LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rattling when I go over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-17, 04:52 PM
murtlizer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling when I go over bumps

So whenever I drive on a bumpy road I her this rattling sound coming from the front. It sounds like something in the wheel area so I took to the dealership and they told me it was my air shocks and that they need to be replaced. If anyone has any knowledge of these noises let me know, I drive a 2010 ks 460 awd
Old 07-28-17, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Does your car have MacPherson struts up front? Loose Macs, especially where they are attached to the front frame or sub-frame, sometimes causes rattling like that.
Old 07-28-17, 05:30 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Could be a whole host of things - air shocks, strut mounts, control arms.......... If its the air shocks and the dealer replaces them, tell them to keep the old parts just in case it doesn't solve the problem and they have to put the originals back in!

Old 08-07-17, 11:18 AM
redlight30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my 2014 has started to make the rattling suspension noises just like my 2010 did! Argh! Will be bringing it in soon to have them look it over. Sound is identical to the 2010 which had over $20k (inflated dealer $) covered warranty repairs. I hope this doesn't lead to the same situation of multiple repairs as it really is a pain to keep bringing the car in.
Old 08-07-17, 11:23 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by redlight30
Well my 2014 has started to make the rattling suspension noises just like my 2010 did! Argh! Will be bringing it in soon to have them look it over. Sound is identical to the 2010 which had over $20k (inflated dealer $) covered warranty repairs. I hope this doesn't lead to the same situation of multiple repairs as it really is a pain to keep bringing the car in.
That really stinks, how many miles on the car?
Old 08-07-17, 11:28 AM
Ls460kidd
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That cars not that old to be having those issues..man that sucks
Old 08-07-17, 11:33 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

It seems to me that it's a crapshoot as to whether or not your car will experience these issues early in its life. Likely comes down to particular runs at the manufacturers.
Old 08-07-17, 12:36 PM
redlight30
Driver

So I have got about 38k on the car but my 2010 started earlier than that. I'll post when I bring it in and hear something.. the one good thing is the head service person knows me and will know I am not hearing things as I surely know the sound!
Old 08-09-17, 01:47 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Please take a look at the thread I started here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...eaky-rear.html

I hope the solution might be as simple as this.
Old 08-09-17, 04:53 PM
redlight30
Driver

Mine is not really a squeak - the sound is exactly the same murmured rattle that I had with the suspension issues on my 2010. I will check those rubbers under the hood just in case..
Old 08-25-17, 04:03 PM
redlight30
Driver

Brought the car in today for the rattle. The master tech and I go way back (from my 2010 issues) we went for a ride and he definitely heard the noise I have been hearing. Nothing as yet from them but I told them to keep the car as long as they need to. Also getting the Pirelli P7 Cinturatos put on. Will post once I hear back some info.
Old 09-12-17, 01:17 PM
redlight30
Driver

An update - the LS was in the shop for 2+ weeks. Rode with the master tech right away he heard the noise several times so I know it wasn't me hearing things. Left the car and they came up with the right front needed wheel bearings. those were done - master tech continued to keep car and drive the noise seems to be gone. He said he checked everything possible and cannot come up with anything else. Rode with him yesterday I heard something once but frankly I could be so in tuned to any noise now who knows. I will drive it for a few days on roads I generally head the noise and see. also got the Pirellis P7 put on and will post on that thread after some miles. had to do the alignment several times before it was correct. had a loaner the whole time so not really bothered by the time it took. The dealership was excellent and the master tech I feel like we are best buds now! anyhow, will update if the noise reappears but hopefully it was the bearings. to Scrutator the master tech actually mentioned this to me about those stoppers under the hood he tweaked those just in case that could have been it but he heard the noise after doing that as well so that problem/issue seems to be known at least at the dealership I go to.
Old 09-12-17, 04:17 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

It took them two weeks to discover it was a wheel bearing making the noise? Two weeks? You'd think that should have been a ten minute diagnosis. I'd definitely keep an ear on that one because wheel bearings generally don't make rattling sounds, they sound more like a growl or hum...similar to a the noise a tire makes when the tread pattern is worn or cupped. Very strange if it was the wheel bearing, but that's great if it takes care of it.
The following users liked this post:
redlight30 (09-13-17)
Old 09-13-17, 04:16 AM
redlight30
Driver

Originally Posted by Doublebase
It took them two weeks to discover it was a wheel bearing making the noise? Two weeks? You'd think that should have been a ten minute diagnosis. I'd definitely keep an ear on that one because wheel bearings generally don't make rattling sounds, they sound more like a growl or hum...similar to a the noise a tire makes when the tread pattern is worn or cupped. Very strange if it was the wheel bearing, but that's great if it takes care of it.
Thanks for the heads up I will keep listening. Drove 60 miles this morning didn't hear anything. I know the master tech was away for training for a week so that could have been part of the time as well. got to pour miles on a RX350 and not mine!
Old 09-20-17, 12:05 PM
redlight30
Driver

So I purposely didn't really listen for the noise for a couple of days by blasting the music. The last few days no music and the noise is still there. Going back in next week. I have a few roads by my house that it can be heard plain as day I will be taking the master tech for a ride with me! i have told them the sounds are exactly as my 2010 with the control arm / shocks issues but they say they have checked all that. Today for the first time I felt a bit of vibration under my feet while driving so that's new. I am going to ask for an LS loaner this time around! I may ask to drive the owners 2017 LS to see if I hear anything from that car. Will update when I know more!

Quick Reply: Rattling when I go over bumps