LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Looking for advice on this 2014 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 10:23 PM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Looking for advice on this 2014 LS460

Hi,

I've been looking for a newer Lexus LS460. I owned a 2006 GS300 and crashed it a few years back. I bought another 2010 Lexus HS250H Premium but I always wanted to get a decent LS460. I found one 2014 LS460 at Sewell Lexus Fortworth with all the options I wanted except the exterior color and they are asking around $43k CPO. Any opinions or advice that I need to look for since I have to drive 6 hours to see or buy it? How much should I offer them? It has been on their lot for a while? TIA

http://www.sewelllexus-fortworth.com...-TX/3004295293
Old 07-28-17, 06:20 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

According to Carfax it has been on their lot since early June so almost 2 months, but they've also dropped the price by almost $2500 (original price was about $45k here http://www.iseecars.com/vin-JTHBL5EF8E5126545-c3442) with an original MSRP of around $80k. I think this is a fair deal given if you are looking for a CPO unit.

Personally I am not afraid of an out-of-warranty LS given their reliability history, though certainly see the value of free service intervals and that additional peace of mind, I'd be hard pressed to pay significantly extra for certification. All that, in saying you can find 13-14 LS460's in the high $30s if you wanted. Sewell has excellent reputation and if buying a car sight unseen, I would very much advocate Sewell or Park Place as honorable dealerships.

NADA retail is $44k, you could try $41k which I think would be a pretty good deal.
The following users liked this post:
GS300ken (07-28-17)
Old 07-28-17, 06:33 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Shoot....if it's been sitting on their lot for a while I would throw a number like $38k, especially if it's not a color you really want. I would let them know that as well. They may not go that low but you never know. You could always tell them a number like that, pass on the car, and tell them to call you when they are ready to let it go for that. That's all assuming it's a car that you don't just have to have. You can always go up in what you will pay so you might as well try low and go from there.
The following users liked this post:
GS300ken (07-28-17)
Old 07-28-17, 06:51 AM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Thanks guys. I will try to contact them today.
Old 07-28-17, 07:18 AM
caverman
Instructor

BTW, forgot to mention about Sewell. Without a doubt I would trust them. I normally yank all dealer related emblems and plates off my car with the exception being Sewell or maybe Park Place. Even my Honda Pilot came from Sewell used cars and I left their emblem on my car.
Old 07-28-17, 07:49 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

I am interested if anyone has experience purchasing through Sewell? I have been looking for a gently used LS 460 and notice they always have quite a few in stock. Unfortunately they are in Texas and I am in Massachusetts! I also notice that most, if not all of their cars are RWD and I need AWD living up here in the snow belt. It is very tough to find a low mileage LS 460L AWD with the options I want locally. Sewell does have an awesome silver L that has very low mileage and every option I desire, but is RWD. I thought about it and just cannot get over that it is RWD. I think they are asking $52k or so.
Old 07-28-17, 08:00 AM
caverman
Instructor

I've bought a couple cars through Sewell but from their GMC and not their Lexus side. However, even with GMC I had no issues at all with them and they worked with me on trade in and purchase. Their GMC dealership were super nice non-pushy sales people for me. I can only imagine what their Lexus side would be like. Sewell has been in the DFW area for a really long time and IMO are considered one of the top dealerships families around.

What I would do is call them about that LS and let the sales person know that it's pretty much everything you're looking for except the AWD. Have them look around to find what you're looking for and then let them certify it. I would also talk to them about how you could get it transported to your area. You can always talk to one of the sales guys and feel them out without having to buy something.
Old 07-28-17, 08:03 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Nice to know that Sewell is pleasant to work with. It always scares me to even consider purchasing a car sight unseen. I love the silver color and the options in that vehicle. Pretty much all black LS 460 L's up here.......
Old 07-28-17, 08:10 AM
caverman
Instructor

Their reputation is big in this area, they aren't going to try to pull a fast one over on you and put that reputation on the line. They should take care of pretty much anything.

That being said, I'm with you about buying site unseen. I would have a hard time doing that as well. If you do call and talk to someone ask them how they would handle any issues that might arise if you bought it from them, took possession, and then needed something fixed. If it's not covered under warranty would you just take it to your local dealer and have them send a bill to Sewell? Not sure how that would work but it's probably something they've dealt with before. Also ask if the salesman would be willing to do a Skype or Facetime and walk around the car with you asking them to look a specific things.
Old 07-28-17, 09:18 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

That's a good price. Don't be surprised if they stick to it. It has options that aren't listed in the ad (Mark Levinson, 19" wheels, looks like it may have LED headlights also).
Old 07-28-17, 09:30 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Nice to know that Sewell is pleasant to work with. It always scares me to even consider purchasing a car sight unseen. I love the silver color and the options in that vehicle. Pretty much all black LS 460 L's up here.......
There are several of us who live in Ma or NH and have had no trouble driving in the RWD cars. Drove it through the worst winter we had a few years back and not a single issue. The traction control is amazing. I have more trouble with my FWD cars than I did with the LS.
Old 07-28-17, 09:37 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by greg3852
There are several of us who live in Ma or NH and have had no trouble driving in the RWD cars. Drove it through the worst winter we had a few years back and not a single issue. The traction control is amazing. I have more trouble with my FWD cars than I did with the LS.
What tires do you run in the winter? Still makes me a little uneasy, as I live in the sticks of central Massachusetts. I did own a 2011 AWD 460L with all season tires. No issues at all.
Old 07-28-17, 09:39 AM
rgs92
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my '14 LS CPO unseen from Pennsylvania and it was perfect and has no defects or malfunctions that I can see. As for that car, I think $39,000 is fair at that mileage and you have to take into account that it is not AWD.
I saw some CPO ~25,000 mile '14 LSs with AWD for $45,000 a few months ago.
I paid $50K for the same car CPO as the one you are looking at with just 8,000 miles with no haggling.

Strangely, the 3 cars I bought sight-unseen (the LS, a Camry, and a Benz E320) all turned out perfect, but a few cars I had seen developed problems. So unseen is no big deal to me.

I would get the AWD because Lexus as far as I can tell with mine has gotten AWD right. Driving/handling/quietness are awesome. (Full disclosure, I never tried the RWD version).
The only thing *I think* maybe be better with RWD is the turning circle radius, but I may be wrong, and correct me please if I am. Thanks.
[And even if you don't get snow where you live, what if you drive somewhere else where there is snow? If you own it for 10 years, it's hard to say where you will go... And I had some nightmare skids long ago with my RWD cars of various makes, like Toyota.]

Last edited by rgs92; 07-28-17 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-28-17, 03:57 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Sewell and Park Place are very well respected dealerships. They give my local dealership heavy competition because many people buy will travel to Texas for the better prices. I have seen a lot of people get cars shipped to them from Sewell and they say it was a great experience.

You shouldn't have any problems buying from them. I hear it's hard to beat their prices and the variety of cars they have in stock.
Old 07-28-17, 05:48 PM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sktn77a
That's a good price. Don't be surprised if they stick to it. It has options that aren't listed in the ad (Mark Levinson, 19" wheels, looks like it may have LED headlights also).
I sent an email via cars.com and got a generic email back. They asked the same price as their listing price. Tried to call and got transfers several time. Not a really good first impression so far.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on this 2014 LS460