LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My 40.00 solution for the melting/cracking arm rest fix.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 09:52 AM
kleancut
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool My 40.00 solution for the melting/cracking arm rest fix.

Most of us are familiar with the sticky, melting, cracking arm rest, dash boards, etc issue our generation is having. Of course this could be troll worthy from our Lexus enthusiast forum here, but Im all about functionality and affordability. Of course, trying to keep tackiness down to a very minimal. Lets go through all the attempts of solutions I went through before getting to my final last resort solution.

1) Getting a hold of Lexus corporate. After a 2 week open case, I was denied.
2) Going to four different upholstery shops. Everyone agreeing to the same thing. In order to complete this project, they would need an OEM mold. And no one wanted to wrap it with leather because the results would eventually fail and never getting a tight perfect fit.
3) Buying the part at the dealer. Of course the dealer doesn't just sell the arm rest only, needing to buy the whole door panel. $2000-$3000
4) Buying used on ebay or junk yard. After browsing for this on ebay for 6 months, I was never able to locate just the arm rest, only door panels. And a couple of times, the arm rest was missing from the door panel!! But I did stumble upon the door panel a couple times but it was rare, and when I did, it always ranged in the $1k price range. Why would I spend $1k on a used item that would potentially do the same thing again.

I was annoyed and tired of being super careful and fragile with the arm rest area with daily driving and movement. Thats when it hit me.

Line X they thing! (or Rhino Lining). I stop by a Line X shop and he said he'd do it for 40.00.

Instruction: Remove arm rest (simple job maybe 20 min max). scrap off whatever is ready to come off, but be careful not to remove foam as you can see I did in the pics. and thats it.

To sum things up. Im decently happy with the job. Is it odd to have Line X on a Lexus interior. Sure.. but, this is one beast arm rest =) that Ill never have to worry about again.
Attached Thumbnails My 40.00 solution for the melting/cracking arm rest fix.-img_3992.jpg   My 40.00 solution for the melting/cracking arm rest fix.-fullsizerender.jpg-1.jpg   My 40.00 solution for the melting/cracking arm rest fix.-img_4067.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
deondollaz (12-29-21)
Old 07-19-17, 10:09 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

As a temporary fix, I'd be satisfied, but it wouldn't stay that way for long. I'd want it to look factory fresh and original.
Old 07-19-17, 10:13 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

wow.. your original handle looks reallyyyy bad.. my door armrest was doing the same thing..

the solution isn't my cup of tea.. looks way "worked on".. is there a smoother finish option?
Old 07-19-17, 10:25 AM
kleancut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
As a temporary fix, I'd be satisfied, but it wouldn't stay that way for long. I'd want it to look factory fresh and original.
Id love for an true OEM fix! but how?

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
wow.. your original handle looks reallyyyy bad.. my door armrest was doing the same thing..

the solution isn't my cup of tea.. looks way "worked on".. is there a smoother finish option?
I'm guessing an obese person was the previous owner because the central arm rest foam also seems to be heavily used. And another clue was I found old heart attack meds under the seat. lol..
As for smoother finish. Maybe you could take a grinder to it but the texture isn't bad at all. Almost a very tough rubber.
Old 07-19-17, 10:41 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Not bad at all - certainly an improvement!
Old 07-19-17, 12:28 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Id love for an true OEM fix! but how?
Replace it. Lots of them on Ebay and perhaps your local wrecking yard has one. That's what I'd do.
Old 07-19-17, 12:44 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Unfortunately, you live in NC where decent upholstery shops basically don't exist. Florida, Texas, California and Arizona have them by the boatload.
Old 07-19-17, 12:56 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I could live with that fix. Older cars get character. In a new house scraped wood floors, rough edge granite, un smooth wall texture. Holes in jeans. Its all good. Being a perfectionist is bad for your mental health. People age, cars age. Now its not a negative but a conversation piece.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kennyr44:
DavidinCT (07-20-17), mckellyb (07-20-17), RedRover (03-08-19), tomgarv (01-04-22)
Old 07-19-17, 02:09 PM
kleancut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Replace it. Lots of them on Ebay and perhaps your local wrecking yard has one. That's what I'd do.
As mentioned in the original post. I looked for several months, and after nailing a couple down they were only being sold as a door panel around 900-1k.
I've not only browsed local wrecking yards but nation wide!
Old 07-19-17, 02:10 PM
kleancut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
I could live with that fix. Older cars get character. In a new house scraped wood floors, rough edge granite, un smooth wall texture. Holes in jeans. Its all good. Being a perfectionist is bad for your mental health. People age, cars age. Now its not a negative but a conversation piece.
I like this guy! =)
Old 07-19-17, 04:19 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Originally Posted by kleancut
I like this guy! =)
Agreed, Kenny's response is great. Keep the peeling and sticky door panels, the distressed look is all the rage. Case in point:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ds-of-dollars/
Old 07-19-17, 09:14 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I don't know what that stuff is but its better then before , id say as a temporary fix its good enough

But if you can get the arm rest wrapped with "line x" you could just as easily get it wrapped in leather or vinyl again

That's what I would try to do if it ever got that bad

And to be honest Lexus should be ashamed of themselves for using vinyl anywhere in any interior
Old 07-20-17, 07:11 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

That fix wouldn't work for me. Maybe it would for a pick up truck. There are always door panels available on Ebay. Here is one for $295 shipped which is decent imo. Most of the time you can talk to the seller and relist for a lower price to buy it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2007-200...NZb5Ne&vxp=mtr.
Old 07-20-17, 07:59 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
That fix wouldn't work for me. Maybe it would for a pick up truck. There are always door panels available on Ebay. Here is one for $295 shipped which is decent imo. Most of the time you can talk to the seller and relist for a lower price to buy it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2007-200...NZb5Ne&vxp=mtr.
For that price you can get both front armrests wrapped in vinyl. If you buy a used one you're most likely going to have the same issue again down the road.
Old 07-20-17, 08:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yeah...on a 30 year old work truck this would work, on a car as nice as the LS460, ugh.

Quick Reply: My 40.00 solution for the melting/cracking arm rest fix.