LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

After 8 weeks and $17,600 in repairs...I'm back

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 08:34 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts
Default After 8 weeks and $17,600 in repairs...I'm back

After owning my smokey granite mica 2010 460L for only 2 months, I was rear-ended (really badly) while sitting at a stop light in early May. Finally got her back yesterday- took it to a very high end and reputable shop that has body repair certifications on cars ranging from Mercedes up to Lamborghini. It took them 8 weeks which i wasn't thrilled about since I only had 30 days of paid rental car coverage, but I just kept focusing on the fact I knew they would do the job right. In the end, it was $17,600 worth of repairs - trunk, passenger side quarter panel, etc but no frame damage whatsoever. Honestly the car looks way better than when I bought it. The rear bumper had a few scuffs and scrapes which are obviously gone now. The paint is as glossy and shiny as it was rolling off the factory floor in 2010. Everything was inspected by Lexus to ensure all electronics, etc. are working prior to them releasing the car to me. And they even do a full interior and exterior detail before giving you the car back which was an awesome touch.

I also had them investigate my passenger side wind noise issue, which they fixed, and the car now glides down the highway in complete silence. I spent 7 weeks and 3,400 miles in a Cadillac XTS rental and couldn't be happier to be back in my 460. I honestly forgot how incredible the ride is. As Frank Costanza said, "I'm back, baby!"
Old 07-11-17, 09:03 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Glad everything worked out well for you . Enjoy the ride. Do you mind sharing some photos showing replaced parts, gaps between the panel etc?.
Old 07-11-17, 09:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Glad you are back and not injured. Was the person who rear ended you texting or distracted? I am in the market for a GS or LS because I got rear ended by someone not paying attention and likely on a cell phone which ended up totaling my GS. Sometimes the nice thing about accidents is scrapes/scratches/failing clearcoat/minor damage ends up getting repaired and now looks brand new.
Old 07-11-17, 09:53 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by satiger
Glad everything worked out well for you . Enjoy the ride. Do you mind sharing some photos showing replaced parts, gaps between the panel etc?.
Thanks! Here are some photos as the car was being worked on and the finished product. I have inspected it very carefully and can't find any flaws. I'm really happy with the work and it has a lifetime warranty for the paint and/or absolutely anything I'm not happy with. I recently sold a "fun" car that we had and the guy who bought it noticed that the passenger side tail light didn't match up exactly from around the side of the car to the trunk as it did on the left. I had never noticed it, but he was right (and the passenger side of the car had been in some sort of accident). I looked over the LS with a pretty keen eye for those types of details and haven't found anything yet. The shop I selected is known for being ridiculously meticulous and also expensive and slow to turn "big" jobs like this around, but to me it was worth the wait and I wasn't paying the bill whatsoever (not even deductible). I should add that they only used Lexus parts which I felt good about (they had to fight with insurance a little on a few parts, but ultimately they were victorious).

For the other poster, I was actually the front car in what ended up being a 3 car accident. A guy who was intoxicated hit a lady while they were both in motion and that sped her up even more and she hit me. He fled the scene - so he's now facing some criminal charges. He was picked up at his house within an hour of the wreck and was intoxicated so they couldn't charge him with DUI since there was no proof he was actually drunk at the time of the accident.
Attached Thumbnails After 8 weeks and ,600 in repairs...I'm back-ls-repair-1.jpg   After 8 weeks and ,600 in repairs...I'm back-lsrepair2.jpg   After 8 weeks and ,600 in repairs...I'm back-lsrepair3.jpg   After 8 weeks and ,600 in repairs...I'm back-lsrepair4.jpg   After 8 weeks and ,600 in repairs...I'm back-lsfinished.jpg  

Old 07-11-17, 10:00 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Glad you didn't experience any lingering injuries, jrmckinley. Sorry this happened to you and glad it is now behind you, no pun intended. The cost of repair, isn't it higher than what you bought the LS for? Which insurance carrier are you with? I am looking to switch insurers, not so much to save money buy rather to have an insurer that actually takes care of their policyholders. Mercury Insurance was great when I was at fault for an accident 10 years ago, but lately they have provided poor service when my Mom and wife were rear-ended in separate events last year, once by someone distracted by their cell phone and another time by an Uber driver.
Old 07-11-17, 12:01 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Wow so they didn't total the car, good to have you around. Best of luck going forward.
Old 07-11-17, 12:23 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
As Frank Costanza said, "I'm back, baby!"
I got a chuckle when reading that, because I could hear his voice as I read it in your post. My car is the same year and color as yours. And mine is not perfect in the rear either. If mine were to get whomped in the rear, I have an enclosed trailer, I think I would truck it to the dealer you had yours done at. Thanks for the write up!

Jason
Old 07-11-17, 01:17 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Wow so they didn't total the car, good to have you around. Best of luck going forward.
Nope, they valued the car just over $26k (I think I paid $25k if I remember correctly), and I think FL requires 80% of value in repairs to consider for totaling. So I came pretty close to losing it, but very glad to be able to keep it. I hunted for 12-15 months before finally pulling the trigger so was not looking forward to trying to find another one!
Old 07-11-17, 02:19 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Glad it all turned out well! The pictures are awesome, and all I could think about as I browsed is how I would've loved to be a fly on the wall throughout the entire process. I have always dreaded body work, so it's great you found these folks. The thing looks like a masterpiece; enjoy and glad you're still around (here and in the other forum within CL where we both hang out )
The following 2 users liked this post by caha14:
jrmckinley (07-12-17), KYLS (07-13-17)
Old 07-11-17, 03:46 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Awesome! It looks like the rear bumper cover fits correctly (tightly with a very small gap) at the curve, which is better than most LS460s from the factory!
The following users liked this post:
jrmckinley (07-11-17)
Old 07-12-17, 03:30 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Thanks! Here are some photos as the car was being worked on and the finished product. I have inspected it very carefully and can't find any flaws. I'm really happy with the work and it has a lifetime warranty for the paint and/or absolutely anything I'm not happy with. I recently sold a "fun" car that we had and the guy who bought it noticed that the passenger side tail light didn't match up exactly from around the side of the car to the trunk as it did on the left. I had never noticed it, but he was right (and the passenger side of the car had been in some sort of accident). I looked over the LS with a pretty keen eye for those types of details and haven't found anything yet. The shop I selected is known for being ridiculously meticulous and also expensive and slow to turn "big" jobs like this around, but to me it was worth the wait and I wasn't paying the bill whatsoever (not even deductible). I should add that they only used Lexus parts which I felt good about (they had to fight with insurance a little on a few parts, but ultimately they were victorious).

For the other poster, I was actually the front car in what ended up being a 3 car accident. A guy who was intoxicated hit a lady while they were both in motion and that sped her up even more and she hit me. He fled the scene - so he's now facing some criminal charges. He was picked up at his house within an hour of the wreck and was intoxicated so they couldn't charge him with DUI since there was no proof he was actually drunk at the time of the accident.
Thanks for sharing those photos. Great photos, outcome is excellent. I couldn't notice uneven gaps.
Old 07-12-17, 05:02 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

It's the summer of jrmckinley!
Old 07-12-17, 09:17 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

The only problem I see in the pics is all the damn tools sitting on top of the rear speaker deck !
Old 07-13-17, 01:49 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Nice job! Well worth the wait. Only downer I can see is mr used car manager saying "has the car ever been in an accident causing over 25% damage"?

Old 07-13-17, 10:04 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Very similar to what happened to the wife's '14 on the January rear ending (the 2nd one in April was not any where near that first one..). Our body shop took a full month and the price was about the same...

Welcome back.... Pretty car.... Looks like they did it right....

Quick Reply: After 8 weeks and $17,600 in repairs...I'm back