Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

2014 LS600hL Deal

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-17, 11:44 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Default 2014 LS600hL Deal

Hello CL friends. I'm still keeping an eye out for my next LS, and have lately been watching a 2014 LS600hL being sold as a CPO by Lexus of Toledo (Ohio). Here's the link: http://www.jimwhitelexustoledo.com/V...-OH/2941037723

I really like the looks of this car -- it's a bit of an unusual color -- the champagne/gold color exterior with the Flaxen interior. It is a 1-owner with 27K miles, and has most of the options available except the Lane Keep Assist and Rear Seat Entertainment system. It has new tires, and should come with the 30K mile service complete.

I've worked a deal with my local Lexus dealer to bring the car from Toledo for me, detail it, fix any issues they find, certify it, and sell it to me for $62K. I would likely trade my current 2008 LS600hL to the local dealer, and my trade difference would be $40K.

So now I'm trying to make a final decision on this one... I see pros and cons.

Pros: It's 6 years newer than my current LS600hL, with less than 1/3 of the miles (mine has 82K). It is the newer body style (which has grown on me). It has the Flaxen interior I LOVE. It's still under original factory warranty, and is CPO'd until Jan of 2020. I can buy a 5-year, unlimited mileage extended warranty for around $3500, which would give me over 7 years of total full warranty. It has the latest technology (blind spot monitoring, blue-tooth audio, pre-collision, etc.). It has brand new Michelin tires.

Cons: Mostly just the added expense/depreciation. My car is now 9 years old with 82K miles. It has held up beautifully, but does have its share of rock chips, curb rash, leather wear, etc. It is still under extended CPO warranty for another 3 years, but the hybrid batteries are no longer warranted (and can fail, as CJITTY will point out). My tires have 25K miles on them, and will need to be replaced in the next year or so.

I guess I'd obviously be better off, from a strictly financial standpoint, keeping my 2008 for another 3 years. Even if the batteries fail ($5-6K), I won't suffer much more depreciation, and the cost to own will be lower. But I admit to being attracted to the latest shiny car, and sort of feel like the time is right and this deal is pretty good.

Any thoughts from the forum for me to consider?

Other related questions I have:
1. Is it possible to buy the extended CPO warranty (adding 5 years to the coverage) from another dealer for less money? I know Toby and others can sell the Platinum warranties for a great price, but wasn't sure if they could sell the extended CPO warranties.
2. Should I consider not having the car certified (which adds $1400 to the price) and just buying a Lexus Platinum warranty from Toby? I wouldn't feel comfortable owning this car with no warranty, given its complexity and high cost (air ride shocks, control arms, etc.).
3. Since the LS600hLs come with the Key Card entry from the factory, should I demand a Key Card be provided?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-17, 12:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I'd have to pass on that car because of the exterior color.

Unfortunately Toledo, OH is a little too far for me to go to check this one out for you
Old 06-07-17, 01:01 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'd have to pass on that car because of the exterior color.

Unfortunately Toledo, OH is a little too far for me to go to check this one out for you
Steve, I'm a bit torn on the color myself. I tend to like the lighter colors, because they are so easy to keep looking new. I have owned a bunch of silver cars over the past 5 years, but I think my silver car fascination is reaching its end. My SC430 is the Chardonnay Pearl (gold) color, and I actually really like it.

Yeah, I wish there were more Steves around the country to do thorough check rides before I commit! You've set the bar pretty high for helping out a fellow CL guy... Anyone else located in the Toledo area?
Old 06-07-17, 01:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Unfortunately us Steves are few and far between haha
Old 06-07-17, 01:41 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Gorgeous car and the original owner took a $60,000 bath on it! An LS460 with typical specs and those miles would CPO at $50,000 so you're getting everything on the LS600 for about $12,000. If an LS600 is what you want, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one! Depreciation will be no worse than an LS460 now that the big hit has been taken by someone else.

Edit: And before you get the CPO extension through your local dealer, check with Toby Stevens at Lexus of Shreveport. I suspect it'll save you significantly.

Last edited by sktn77a; 06-07-17 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 02:17 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Once CPOed you may not be able to get Lexus extended warranty on top of that. Check with your dealer/Lexus Financials.

Ext color, no LKA - pass for me .
Old 06-07-17, 04:08 PM
davedudu
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the color.
Old 06-07-17, 09:09 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
Once CPOed you may not be able to get Lexus extended warranty on top of that. Check with your dealer/Lexus Financials.
Yes, you can get an L/Certified extended warranty (VSA) on a CPO'd vehicle. Mine goes for an additional 5 years after the CPO runs out at 6 years (all unlimited mileage). So I'm covered until 2025, bumper to bumper, no deductible!

Old 06-11-17, 12:33 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I'd pass...not just because it's a hybrid but that color is a no go for me and if it's a 600 and missing buttons and switches then what's the point. I'm surprised this 600 being a 4.2Gen doesn't have it all. They'll be others. I say look for a 460L with Ultra Luxury which gives you everything the 600 has minus the hybrid and engine differences. And some interior uniqueness.
The following users liked this post:
riknchar (06-12-17)
Old 06-11-17, 10:45 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I agree with CJITTY...color is "old folks". That and as he stated...missing features you'd expect in a flagship. There will be others.
Old 06-11-17, 12:34 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

The color is fine by me, and that's a personal thing, anyway.

I must be 'old'.

No, wait...I'm just lazy when it comes to car cleaning. I'll clean the interior, but being it's just me driving/riding in it 98% of the time, it stays clean for about a year.

I want an exterior as close to local dirt color as possible.

Otherwise, that's a score versus initial cost.
Old 06-12-17, 06:45 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I'd pass...not just because it's a hybrid but that color is a no go for me and if it's a 600 and missing buttons and switches then what's the point. I'm surprised this 600 being a 4.2Gen doesn't have it all. They'll be others. I say look for a 460L with Ultra Luxury which gives you everything the 600 has minus the hybrid and engine differences. And some interior uniqueness.
I'm leaning towards passing on this one, unless the price suddenly drops another $5-7K to get the car sold.

It meets most of my wants in an LS, but I do hate the fact that it's "missing buttons," and I've been saying for the past couple of years that my next LS will have everything (LKA, etc.). I'm not sure I would want the executive seating package, because I do occasionally need to fill all 5 seats in my current LS, but I'd consider it if the right deal came along. Like others have said, also, I'm really not a big fan of that exterior color, but I do like the Flaxen interior. I think the interior looks great with a Nebula Gray exterior... That would probably be my first choice in colors.

I hear you on going for a 460L vs a 600hL, also, but as I think through how I will be using the car, and how long I will likely be keeping the car, the 600 actually makes more sense in a lot of ways for me.

Here's my reasoning:
1. I really enjoy the amenities (and the added weight, presence, power, refinement, fuel economy in town, etc.) of the LS600hL. I know these things come at a steep price when the car is new, but on the used market, the price difference is much smaller.
2. The main downside of the LS600hL is the risk of premature hybrid battery failure (sorry to remind you, CJITTY). If I buy a 2014 model year, I'd be covered until 2022, which is about as long as I could see owning the car anyway.
3. I can purchase an extended CPO or Platinum warranty to fully cover the car until at least 2022, so why not get the more expensive (and more repair prone?) LS600?
4. I do take a certain amount of pride in owning the highest trim level sold by Lexus, and I love the fact that I NEVER see another LS600hL on the road.

So the search will likely continue. If anyone catches wind of a good deal on a 2013-2014 LS600hL (or a loaded up 460L), please let me know.

Thanks for all the advice, CL friends!
Old 06-12-17, 09:12 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
I'm leaning towards passing on this one, unless the price suddenly drops another $5-7K to get the car sold.

It meets most of my wants in an LS, but I do hate the fact that it's "missing buttons," and I've been saying for the past couple of years that my next LS will have everything (LKA, etc.). I'm not sure I would want the executive seating package, because I do occasionally need to fill all 5 seats in my current LS, but I'd consider it if the right deal came along. Like others have said, also, I'm really not a big fan of that exterior color, but I do like the Flaxen interior. I think the interior looks great with a Nebula Gray exterior... That would probably be my first choice in colors.

I hear you on going for a 460L vs a 600hL, also, but as I think through how I will be using the car, and how long I will likely be keeping the car, the 600 actually makes more sense in a lot of ways for me.

Here's my reasoning:
1. I really enjoy the amenities (and the added weight, presence, power, refinement, fuel economy in town, etc.) of the LS600hL. I know these things come at a steep price when the car is new, but on the used market, the price difference is much smaller.
2. The main downside of the LS600hL is the risk of premature hybrid battery failure (sorry to remind you, CJITTY). If I buy a 2014 model year, I'd be covered until 2022, which is about as long as I could see owning the car anyway.
3. I can purchase an extended CPO or Platinum warranty to fully cover the car until at least 2022, so why not get the more expensive (and more repair prone?) LS600?
4. I do take a certain amount of pride in owning the highest trim level sold by Lexus, and I love the fact that I NEVER see another LS600hL on the road.

So the search will likely continue. If anyone catches wind of a good deal on a 2013-2014 LS600hL (or a loaded up 460L), please let me know.

Thanks for all the advice, CL friends!
As others will tell you, waiting is not a bad thing. There will always be other cars that come along. Let us know how you progress in your search!
Old 07-05-17, 01:57 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Not to tempt you, but how about this L-certified specimen for $51k?

http://www.performancelexusrivercent...-KY/2997070923

Has the exec seating package, LKA and adaptive cruise, and I think an excellent price for a rare vehicle....I think the Lexus dealership personally did a crappy job taking pics but it isn't a bad color compared to some previous ones you've found =)
Old 07-05-17, 02:52 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Flawless service history as well! if this is in good shape, it is steal at this price...

Quick Reply: 2014 LS600hL Deal