LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is the 4th Gen Flaship LS a step BACKWARDS ? It isn't just Lexus either.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-17, 08:20 PM
handogg
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the 4th Gen Flaship LS a step BACKWARDS ? It isn't just Lexus either.

When you buy a Lexus, the number 1 thing you're supposed to buying is LUXURY. But that's changed a long time ago.

The #1 thing car makers are selling now is "Sport." The interiors of the 4th gen LS v 3rd Gen LS seems to say it all. 1/2 of the wood, basic looking leather, and overall just plain design.

When you sit in the 3rd gen Lexus, you really feel like your driving a luxury car.

The 4th gen is still nice but just doesn't have that luxurious feel to it. Instead it feels "Sporty."

I'm a Lexus Loyalist for life so I'll probably own one eventually but

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
Old 06-06-17, 08:25 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I somewhat agree with the OP (and lets try to be polite).

A good example is the S550, which still has the classic flowing and soft lines and luxurious interior of MB's past. Same with the BMW's. Now look at Cadillac, Acura, and the new LS. Sharp, jagged lines, goofy headlights and tail lights, interiors with too much flash, etc.
The following users liked this post:
handogg (06-07-17)
Old 06-06-17, 08:39 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I would say the exterior is sportier looking than previous models, which I actually prefer. I think the interior is still more luxury than sport but was inferior as far as quality, at least the first few model years.
Old 06-06-17, 08:44 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My buddy's ex 2005 loaded up LS430 was a pure comfort machine but you couldn't pay me to buy one. It brought out no passion for me but the 460 is another story. I'm still hell bent on the seats being comfortable without sport bolsters digging into my shoulders. I also like 18 inch wheels which drive nice but are becoming rare to find in a new car. Die hard LS430 people can drive them forever they will run forever.
Old 06-06-17, 09:51 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Lexus has dropped the ball many times and they don't seem to learn from it

They had it right in the 90's and should of built upon that foundation, but instead they seem to just scrap all progress and start over again from scratch.

Then there is the "F Sport" , a meaningless, powerless badge that really adds nothing to the vehicles, especially when compared to AMG and the M models of their rivals.

I do think they did well with the LS series though, the 460 is much more car when compared to the 430 ( regardless of some of the build quality issues etc..)and I appreciate the more sporty feel of it, but overall Lexus as a brand is very boring and could almost be compared to Honda now.

But I am excited to see the new LC and LS models coming out soon, hopefully they are good enough to keep them relevant.
Old 06-06-17, 10:17 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Which model years are you talking about? 4G spans from 2007-2017 and there's quite a difference between '07-'12 and '13-'18.

I spent 9 years in a 430 (and prior to that had a 400) and transitioned to a '10 460 in February. For me, it was a big update in the "cosmetic" department on both the exterior and the interior. I opted for the 19" 5 star polished (not chrome) wheels and I think that makes the car have an awesome presence while in motion or sitting still. The exterior looks somewhat sporty due to the wheels, but I don't find anything else about my 460 sporty at all (and it's a LWB) and really appreciate the refreshed styling on the interior. Mine has the semi-aniline leather and they're the most comfortable seats I've had in an LS. I haven't spent enough time in '13-'17 to feel too strongly one way or the other about the interior, but I think there are certain design touches in there that are very nice compared to the '07-'12.

I look back at my 430 pictures and notice things like the leather styling on the doors, the cupholders, etc. and realize it was more dated than I wanted to admit. For me, it was time for an upgrade. And the ride of the 460 is way better than my 430 (may be due to the LWB).
Old 06-06-17, 10:40 AM
aw001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My problem is i can only pick 2 out of the 3;

-Luxury/comfort
-reliablity
-performance

Old 06-06-17, 02:19 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
They had it right in the 90's and should of built upon that foundation,
Well, they were the new kid on the block back then. Quality of product and customer service were everything. Today, they are just another luxury brand. They've made it into the big leagues and don't need to follow the same mission they started out with. Kinda sad but inevitable.
Old 06-06-17, 03:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I've said it a million times here, having had all three iterations of the LS, the 400, 430 and 460 I have a somewhat unique (other members have had all 3 too) perspective.

First...styles change. The 400 and 430 had gathered leather for example, that was the style then, the LS460 has flat stretched leather, that's the style now. Note when you look at any car, no "gathered" leather. People are into all sorts of types of stitching now vs gathered or "tufted" leather. The 460 has wood everywhere the 430 does. Where does the 430 have wood that the 460 does not?

Material quality. Well, if you compare a UL 430 with leather doors and dash and all to a basic 460 without those things, sure the 430 is better. However, basic 430s had passed vinyl in all the same areas as the 460, and for 13-17 the 460 has stitched materials in ALL vehicles in those places which is better than a basic 430.

From a build quality perspective I agree it's a little less so. My 460 has had some rattles and such my 400 and 430 never did.

Both the 400 and 460 are more dynamic than the 430, and the 430 is the slightly better riding car of the 3. However, the 430 is the poorest handling by a wide margin, so overall I think the 460 and the 400 are more enjoyable to drive vs the 430 even if the 430 is slightly softer riding.

Out of all 3 I've had, my least favorite LS is easily the 430. Favorite is probably the 400. 460 is in the middle. Don't get me wrong the 430 was nice, but I don't miss it at all where I do still see a nicely kept 98-00 LS400 and think back to ours. I think the 430 has aged more poorly than the 400 and 430, and quite honestly I think a nice 98-00 looks more modern, especially inside.

The LS500. I likely will not be purchasing one, because they've gotten away from what I like in a car, which is a nice riding enjoyable to drive car with attractive conservative styling. It's a little in your face, some design choices I don't care for like the fastback rear, the small F Sport style gauge cluster, etc. I also think it's going to be more money, and if I'm spending $90k+ I'm
Likely to try out a 7 Series or S Class, or perhaps even a Range Rover. I may change my mind when I see it, we'll see. Have they "gone backwards"? No, they're just moving in a direction as a company that's not necessarily what I prefer.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
handogg (06-07-17), wnyjazz (06-07-17)
Old 06-07-17, 11:36 AM
handogg
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

"First...styles change. The 400 and 430 had gathered leather for example, that was the style then, the LS460 has flat stretched leather, that's the style now. Note when you look at any car, no "gathered" leather. People are into all sorts of types of stitching now vs gathered or "tufted" leather."

I know it's very silly but the gathered leather in the door panel (at least for me) is what gives it that ultimate sense of LUXURY. Flat Leather doesn't say extravagant luxury. It just sais plain. If you didn't touch it, you might think it was plastic. It's not a deal breaker by any means but let's just say I'm a little disappointed in the styling of modern cars. We should do a survey by age with the photos of both door panels/interiors and ask which is more luxurious. I'd be curious to see the outcome by age.

"The 460 has wood everywhere the 430 does. Where does the 430 have wood that the 460 does not?"

For the most part, there is wood in all of the same places but the wood in the same places has become shorter, smaller, thinner, and just less of it. Who doesn't like nice large BLOCKS of wood every which where. There is no such thing as too much wood. To be honest, I'd even like to see more wood near the navigation screen in the posted photo. Look at that big block of wood !! The other picture is from a 2014 LS.. The wood is small. The screen is small. Maybe even just has the appearance of small. Jeez, the VENT is largest focus point!! It's something I might expect to see in an is300... not the flagship.

This is my message to Lexus - Luxury and comfort should remain #1 in a Luxury Vehicle. When I look at the car and sit in it. I want to feel like the king I am and not some race car driver. If I wanted a race driver car, I'd probably buy a Camaro.

I think I'd also prefer the Dual Glovebox (which my Lexus unfortunately doesn't have) vs the one large glovebox with a shelf inside. Anyone think it could be converted ??
Attached Thumbnails Is the 4th Gen Flaship LS a step BACKWARDS ?  It isn't just Lexus either.-19.jpg   Is the 4th Gen Flaship LS a step BACKWARDS ?  It isn't just Lexus either.-smallwood.jpg  

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-07-17 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 11:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just because you may prefer an older style doesn't mean styles don't change. For instance I still prefer and wear pleated trousers. I have to order them online, because no stores stock them because they are out of style. Forget being able to buy a suit with pleated trousers. I have to accept that my preference is not "in style", and that most people prefer flat fronted pants. Companies make and stores stock what customers buy. The same needs to be true of you and this gathered tufted leather look. NOBODY makes cars with that look anymore, not just Lexus, if you want that look you need to buy an older car that was designed when that was in style. Even modern Rolls Royces have flat leather.

Or just wait, the style will come around again. What is old is always eventually new again.

As for the wood, that's also a changing tastes and style thing. Look at all newer cars, they all use less wood. Some none at all. Look at new Jaguars...no wood. Personally I think the LS430 has a little too much wood, the console areas are bordering on ugly, IMHO. I prefer the interiors of both the LS400 and LS460.

No clue where you're coming from about the screen being "small" in the 2014 LS460. The screen is much bigger than the screen in the LS430, is 12.3" wide, aside from a Tesla it's one of the largest screens you can get in any car. The LS430 has I believe a 7" screen.

Sounds to me like you need to find a used LS430 in good shape and keep that. The LS430 will remain my least favorite LS generation. I "feel like a king" in my LS460. There's nothing sporty about it, it's just not sloppy in the way the LS430 is, neither is the LS400.
Old 06-07-17, 12:51 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I can attest to the fact that the definition of luxury is fluidic, and can change with each generation. I'm 26 and if you were to ask my parents, they'd love the large swaths of pleated leather and wood everywhere found in the 430. I can't stand it. I'd much rather minimal leather with more brushed metals that are cold to the touch. My personal preference in regards to luxury is a car that can balance comfort and performance. Ironically, this is the very direction Lexus is going. Hence, I find the LS500 a perfect example of my type of luxury style wise looks alone.
handogg (06-07-17)
Old 06-07-17, 01:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yardie876
I can attest to the fact that the definition of luxury is fluidic, and can change with each generation. I'm 26 and if you were to ask my parents, they'd love the large swaths of pleated leather and wood everywhere found in the 430. I can't stand it. I'd much rather minimal leather with more brushed metals that are cold to the touch. My personal preference in regards to luxury is a car that can balance comfort and performance. Ironically, this is the very direction Lexus is going. Hence, I find the LS500 a perfect example of my type of luxury style wise looks alone.
Its the way aesthetic is going in general, Lexus is moving along with the trends in style as well they should.

What I like in a luxury car interior is like you, I want good quality materials. I want real metal, real leather, if it has wood I want it to be real. Too much of a good thing is overkill. I happen to like nice wood trim in a car, but too much of it is overkill and I think the LS430 has too much, What doesn't help is that its outdated looking wood with heavy burling when the trend is towards linear grains in wood, and/or open pore matte finishes. IMHO, they just look really old inside, and I don't think gen 2 LS400s look as old largely because their materials are more contemporary.

IMHO, this is a much more attractive and contemporary looking interior:

Than this:

Old 06-07-17, 02:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Folks, I've pruned a few rude posts. Let's keep this polite and mature.

Recognize this is a topic that has been discussed previously; that's the nature of a forum and pretty much every single thread on here has other threads like it. If you've already posted your opinion on those other threads, simply move on rather than make personal commentary here.
handogg (06-07-17)
Old 06-07-17, 03:00 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its the way aesthetic is going in general, Lexus is moving along with the trends in style as well they should.

What I like in a luxury car interior is like you, I want good quality materials. I want real metal, real leather, if it has wood I want it to be real. Too much of a good thing is overkill. I happen to like nice wood trim in a car, but too much of it is overkill and I think the LS430 has too much, What doesn't help is that its outdated looking wood with heavy burling when the trend is towards linear grains in wood, and/or open pore matte finishes. IMHO, they just look really old inside, and I don't think gen 2 LS400s look as old largely because their materials are more contemporary.

IMHO, this is a much more attractive and contemporary looking interior:

Than this:

Agreed. The gen 2 LS400s are sleeker and more modern than the subsequent generation.

In all, I think Lexus has chosen this shift in style and core values to align themselves with the current generation's tastes in mind. What is great is that they are inching closer towards the perfect blend of comfort while remaining relatively sporty, to many older owners disdain though.

Last edited by yardie876; 06-07-17 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the 4th Gen Flaship LS a step BACKWARDS ? It isn't just Lexus either.