LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What to maintain after buying a high mileage used LS460

Old 06-02-17, 09:25 PM
veronchu
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What to maintain after buying a high mileage used LS460

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2008 LS460 with more than 250K miles on it. What do I need to service on the car except changing the oil? Do I need to change brake, transmission fluid, spark plugs? I can hear wind noise from the middle top of the driver side window when driving on the freeway.

LS was my dream car when I was a kid, I am selling my 09fx35 to get it.

Thank you!!
Old 06-03-17, 08:32 AM
veronchu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 0133642
When was everything last done?
I don't know. It's not on the service history.
Old 06-03-17, 08:37 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

You're probably best off having a trusted mechanic look it over to see the condition. Without a service history it's going to be difficult for us to guess what needs to be done.
Old 06-03-17, 08:50 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Roll that puppy into a hungry flat rate mechanic's bay and you will find out real fast how to empty your wallet.
Old 06-03-17, 09:17 AM
veronchu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Roll that puppy into a hungry flat rate mechanic's bay and you will find out real fast how to empty your wallet.
I did put it in pre purchase inspection before I bought it. And the mechanics said it's all wear and tear never mentioned need to change brake fluid, coolant, transmission fluid or spark plugs. So I am wondering if I need to get those done. And for the control arm thing, how do I know if I need to do it or not? What would the cat perform if the control arms are bad?
Old 06-03-17, 09:31 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

First off I think it's cool that you bought a high mileage LS460...assuming you got yourself a deal and it's been cared for (I'm a bit of a high mileage fanatic, especially with these cars).

Without a service history you don't know what's been done to it, but if it made it that far I'd assume it's been reasonably maintained,having said that, I'd change the fluids that wouldn't cause any harm to do (rear end, oil and coolant). I would worry about changing the transmission fluid at this point for two reasons, one being if it hasn't been done before you may damage something when introducing new fluid into it (it may free something up that you don't want to), and two, I wouldn't trust just anyone to do this procedure.

​​​​​​​Other than that I'd drive it and see how it goes. You can learn a lot after a few weeks, then I'd start figuring out what to do.
Old 06-03-17, 09:39 AM
veronchu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Doublebase
First off I think it's cool that you bought a high mileage LS460...assuming you got yourself a deal and it's been cared for (I'm a bit of a high mileage fanatic, especially with these cars).

Without a service history you don't know what's been done to it, but if it made it that far I'd assume it's been reasonably maintained,having said that, I'd change the fluids that wouldn't cause any harm to do (rear end, oil and coolant). I would worry about changing the transmission fluid at this point for two reasons, one being if it hasn't been done before you may damage something when introducing new fluid into it (it may free something up that you don't want to), and two, I wouldn't trust just anyone to do this procedure.

Other than that I'd drive it and see how it goes. You can learn a lot after a few weeks, then I'd start figuring out what to do.
I did feel that the transmission is jerking when changing gear. That's why I think changing the transmission fluid would help.

​​​​​​​thank you for your help, and I thought I got a deal, just below 7k.
Old 06-03-17, 10:10 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

7k that's the lowest price probably ever paid for one of these cars that wasn't wrecked. Let's see some pictures. I would find an independent Toyota Lexus repair shop with a good reputation and follow their lead. Open your windows and go over speedbump's or cut the wheel all the way going in and out of the driveway you'll hear noise if you have control alarm problems.
Old 06-03-17, 10:36 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Firstly, welcome to Club Lexus. Congrats on your new car and I wish you good luck with it!

And secondly .......

Originally Posted by Doublebase

​​​​​​​Other than that I'd drive it and see how it goes. You can learn a lot after a few weeks, then I'd start figuring out what to do.
Yup, and .....

7k that's the lowest price probably ever paid for one of these cars that wasn't wrecked. Let's see some pictures. I would find an independent Toyota Lexus repair shop with a good reputation and follow their lead. Open your windows and go over speedbump's or cut the wheel all the way going in and out of the driveway you'll hear noise if you have control alarm problems.
Yup, what they said.
Old 06-03-17, 10:36 AM
veronchu
Driver School Candidate

Thank you I will try it. I will post some pictures once I got it detail today.

But it the window noise is really annoying
Old 06-03-17, 10:40 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

As to the "window noise" there may be some help for you here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...noise-fix.html
Old 06-03-17, 10:48 AM
veronchu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
As to the "window noise" there may be some help for you here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...noise-fix.html
Thank you Jim, I read through your post and really appreciate your help. But the wind noise are from the middle top of the window. Is it what happened to your car?
Old 06-03-17, 01:28 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by veronchu
Thank you Jim, I read through your post and really appreciate your help. But the wind noise are from the middle top of the window. Is it what happened to your car?
It is not normal for these cars to have any sort of "window noise." If you are certain that the noise is from the top of the window then you should inspect the window gasket in that area and you should make sure that the glass is going all the way up. There have been reports of window-gaskets being puckered but that is usually along the aft side of the glass.
Old 06-03-17, 02:17 PM
veronchu
Driver School Candidate

The following users liked this post:
EazyLS460 (03-12-24)
Old 06-03-17, 02:58 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by veronchu
I did feel that the transmission is jerking when changing gear. That's why I think changing the transmission fluid would help.

​​​​​​​thank you for your help, and I thought I got a deal, just below 7k.
DO NOT GET A TRANSMISSION FLUSH!! If you want to change the transmission fluid do a drain and fill 3 times, does not have to be done right after the other one either. If you are doing it yourself, drain it into a clear jug where you can mark exactly how much came out and then put the same exact amount back in but don't get it flushed, you are asking for expensive problems if you do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to maintain after buying a high mileage used LS460