LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What tires do you have on your LS right now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-17, 08:37 AM
Kadrian21
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What tires do you have on your LS right now?

I have the factory 18's on my 2009 AWD LS 235/50/18 just wondering what tires others have and which is the best I can get a good deal on a set of pirelli pzero Nero tires are they any good anyone with experience with them I still have the factory Bridgestone el42 tires on mine thanks
Old 05-28-17, 02:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I have the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus. Very happy with them. I wouldn't select the PZERO for this car since its a sportier tire than the car's character demands.
Old 05-28-17, 04:01 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I have the Cintauros on mine, for now. 19", but the fronts are getting thin. The rears, less so, but I can take care of that in about 90 seconds. :-P

I'm going with five Continental DWS06s in a couple-few months.
Old 05-28-17, 04:26 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm running the Conti' DWS06's in a 20" size and am happy with them.
Old 05-28-17, 05:36 PM
LHH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running OEM Dunlop sp maxx a/s 245x45x19 on 2016 Lexux LS 460 L
Old 05-28-17, 05:56 PM
Kadrian21
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The conti dws06 have great reviews on tire rack.com are they a comfortable ride?
Old 05-28-17, 07:22 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I had the Pirelli P Zero Nero tires on my car two sets of tires ago. They are by far the best tires for wet traction. I tend to drive just as fast on wet roads as I do on dry and these tires resisted hydroplaning better than any tire I've had on the car. They are not noisy, but they were not as quiet as my next set which was the Continental Pure Contact with Eco Plus Technology. Those tires lasted longer than the P Zeros, but were not quite as good on wet roads. I now have the Cinturato P7. They're a good compromise between the two previous tires.
Old 05-29-17, 03:55 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I've had the P Zero's, not a fan. I couldn't go a year without them wearing away, and I found that after 15,000 miles they can get noisy. They're a soft tire and they don't come with a lot of tread to begin with. They handle nice though, excellent grip....I was able to take corners without worrying about losing traction, but like I said they just wore out so fast. I do drive a lot 25-30k a year...they are gone at that point...maybe sooner.
Old 05-29-17, 04:37 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I am in the market for tires as well and leaning towards Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus. I have those in ES and they are quite, good handling with wet traction.

However, Continental DWS06 seems to have good reviews as well. How is this compare to P7 Plus?. Are DWS06s quite?.
Old 05-29-17, 05:31 AM
rolloman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Continental Extreme Contact with Eco Plus. Quiet, great wet traction, handles turns great. Best tire I've owned. Beats Goodyear, Michelin and Bridgestone. No history with Pirelli so can't comp those.

The compromise - tread wear! Coming up on 30k miles at 24 months and already at 4/32 and I'm not an aggressive driver. Definitely not a high mileage tire. But, I'll buy again. Worth the trade off. Good luck!
Old 05-29-17, 06:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by satiger
However, Continental DWS06 seems to have good reviews as well. How is this compare to P7 Plus?. Are DWS06s quite?.
They're a UHP tire vs a Grand Touring tire, totally different approach to a tire. They won't be as quiet, and they will be notably firmer riding, but sharper feeling and handle better. Whether those changes appeal to you depends on you. If you try them, I would get them someplace where you have a 30 day ride guarantee and if you don't like it you could switch to the P7.

When I had the LS400 it came on UHP tires, and thats what we replaced them with for years until we switched to GT tires, the old Michelin Energy MXV4. The difference was not extreme, but it was notable. Those were big high sidewall tires too, on lower profile tires like we have the difference would be more noticeable.

Buddy of mine has the DWS 06 on his C450 AMG, he loves them...and they fit the feel of that car and accentuate its plusses and its mission. IMHO those tires don't play to the LS460s strengths so they wouldn't be my choice for this car.
Old 05-29-17, 02:42 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
They're a UHP tire vs a Grand Touring tire, totally different approach to a tire. They won't be as quiet, and they will be notably firmer riding, but sharper feeling and handle better. Whether those changes appeal to you depends on you. If you try them, I would get them someplace where you have a 30 day ride guarantee and if you don't like it you could switch to the P7.

When I had the LS400 it came on UHP tires, and thats what we replaced them with for years until we switched to GT tires, the old Michelin Energy MXV4. The difference was not extreme, but it was notable. Those were big high sidewall tires too, on lower profile tires like we have the difference would be more noticeable.

Buddy of mine has the DWS 06 on his C450 AMG, he loves them...and they fit the feel of that car and accentuate its plusses and its mission. IMHO those tires don't play to the LS460s strengths so they wouldn't be my choice for this car.
Thanks and II agree with you Steve. I am looking into very quite and floating ride. I even changed the wheels which Lexus claims to absorb road potholes vibrations!. I will stick with P7.
Old 05-29-17, 03:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by satiger
Thanks and II agree with you Steve. I am looking into very quite and floating ride. I even changed the wheels which Lexus claims to absorb road potholes vibrations!. I will stick with P7.
Then you want a grand touring tire for sure!
Old 05-29-17, 09:27 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
I have the Cintauros on mine, for now. 19", but the fronts are getting thin. The rears, less so, but I can take care of that in about 90 seconds. :-P

I'm going with five Continental DWS06s in a couple-few months.
mckelly, I took advantage of the Memorial Day sale and am waiting on a set of P7+ to arrive in a few days. How long did your set of 19s last? Did you get near the stated treadlife of 70K miles? I've had the P7+ in 18" on our LS 430 but not long enough to get a feel for how it wears. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 05-30-17, 07:24 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

There is no way the P7 is going to return 70K miles. Just no way.

I'd wager it's closer to 35K-40K.

This car, at 103K miles is on set number three of what I have to assume are all OEM shoes save for one set of Michelins. According to the car's dealer history, the car had all four tires replaced at 18,539 miles, with the citation all of them were 'bad' because of a needed four-wheel alignment.

Stay away from curbs!

Those lasted until 35,679 when four Michelins were put on. So the first two sets averaged about 18K miles.

@ 57,061, all four are said to have 5/32" left, which is only a few thousand until they're toast. Let's give 'em until 62K, because I'm feeling generous. That's still less than 30K miles.

So, three full sets of shoes in the first 60K miles, or thereabouts.

This is not a high-performance sports car, it's a high-performing luxury sedan.

This is where dealer maintenance ends, pretty much, therefore I have to assume the P7s on there, now, have about 40K on them, and the fronts are done. The rears aren't far behind. This could be the second set of shoes after the Michelins were done around 60K miles, as the first three sets didn't get anywhere near 40K miles out of them.

On my '05 Cadillac STS, the RWD one, I got about 40K-45K out of the staggered set of Conti DWS06s, so no rotation. I wasn't all that gentle on them, either.

I found the Contis were quiet, great in the rain, and sticker than expected with very gentle breakaway characteristics.

I'll be able to tell you more in about 2 1/2 years, as I'll be the only driver, and I keep good records of everything. Fuel/repairs/tread depth/inflation pressure/etc.

edit: This car originally had Bridgestone Turanzas on it, treadwear = 140. Yeah, I see why they didn't last long.

Last edited by mckellyb; 06-03-17 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: What tires do you have on your LS right now?