LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 Lexus LS 460 Base 4th Gen (2007-2017) PROBLEMS/CHECKLIST

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 08:41 PM
Diesel147
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Lexus LS 460 Base 4th Gen (2007-2017) PROBLEMS/CHECKLIST

Hello, in a few days I will be looking at at 2007 LS 460 Base with 125,000 miles on it. It has full service car fax 2 owners and no accidents. Anyone who owns this year or the 4th gen can you please inform me on what to look for or inspect when I go test drive the vehicle? I searched through tons of forums but I can't find any checklist for things to check for when buying one. Thanks all comments are welcomed! HERE'S the car fax link to see what was done to the LS 460! https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=JTHBL46F175051781&partner=CCO_0

Last edited by Diesel147; 05-23-17 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-23-17, 02:13 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm amazed that it's so hard to find threads that tell you what to look for when buying an early model LS460, we seem to get this question once a week on here. I too have had problems trying to search for things on this site, what I find works better is just google what you're looking for and it takes you to a thread here that helps. But to answer your question...

control arm bushings
brake actuator (although there is an extended warranty for it now)
make sure all recalls have been performed (valve spring, fuel rail sensor, there's a few others)
some people have experienced hesitation issues after an oil change
perhaps the worst thing that you could be stuck with is worn valve guides. This one seems much more rare, but you'd experience excessive oil consumption and the knock sensors would be very active and cause the car to hesitate upon acceleration frequently. So with this one I'd take it on a long test drive, plenty of acceleration from a stop, low speeds and pulling out into traffic. I'd check the oil change history because like anything else, if someone hasn't been changing the oil it tends to lead to internal component failure quicker than an engine that's been serviced properly.

That's the major stuff that I can think of. But don't let that list scare you, they're pretty reliable cars.
Old 05-23-17, 08:18 AM
Diesel147
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I'm amazed that it's so hard to find threads that tell you what to look for when buying an early model LS460, we seem to get this question once a week on here. I too have had problems trying to search for things on this site, what I find works better is just google what you're looking for and it takes you to a thread here that helps. But to answer your question...

control arm bushings
brake actuator (although there is an extended warranty for it now)
make sure all recalls have been performed (valve spring, fuel rail sensor, there's a few others)
some people have experienced hesitation issues after an oil change
perhaps the worst thing that you could be stuck with is worn valve guides. This one seems much more rare, but you'd experience excessive oil consumption and the knock sensors would be very active and cause the car to hesitate upon acceleration frequently. So with this one I'd take it on a long test drive, plenty of acceleration from a stop, low speeds and pulling out into traffic. I'd check the oil change history because like anything else, if someone hasn't been changing the oil it tends to lead to internal component failure quicker than an engine that's been serviced properly.

That's the major stuff that I can think of. But don't let that list scare you, they're pretty reliable cars.
Thanks a lot!!
Old 05-24-17, 05:28 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Having a PPI performed at either a quality independent shop or the dealership really might be a good idea. With the dealership, they can tell you if there are any open recalls. Cool thing about when they do recalls is that they fill up the vehicle. Or at least my Lexus dealer does, but my Service Advisor told me that was SOP with all of them.

Also, make sure to go to the Lexus Driver website and setup an account so that you can see the amount of servicing that was preformed at all Lexus and Toyota dealers. I found this to be indispensable when I purchased my 2007. I personally hit the jackpot as the PO took it in every 5K for a full synthetic oil change, had all recalls performed, and did any recommended servicing. To this day, for better or worse, it has never been anywhere but a Lexus dealer for servicing since new.