LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2014 LS460L Lease?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 03:22 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
As I've suggested to you before, if you don't want to read what I post put me on your ignore list. I'm quite confident that the bulk of the folks in the LS forum appreciate my input, if you don't...ignore away.

The issue is that this has happened here for a long time, its not just this one post. Whenever people post a question about leasing somebody always comes along and tries to run down leasing or patronize the people who lease by posting sound bites from anti-leasing financial gurus. Its tiresome, and it keeps those of us that do lease from having meaningful discussions about leasing. Whenever we try and discuss a specific deal, etc it devolves into a back and forth about whether one should lease or not, which is off of the topic.

I personally think its silly to spend $25,000 on a car as old and high mileage as an LS460 would be to reach that price, yes. I think at that age one's money is better spent on a newer car of lesser caliber. I put my money where my mouth is, I had two ES sedans in my life that I bought new vs used LS's because the LS wasn't within my reach at the time. I only posted that in response to what was said about leasing being silly. If I posted my thoughts in every thread where people here discussed deals on old LS460s that would be as patronizing and off topic as it is to bring this discussion to the point where its about leasing vs buying. His question was about that particular deal, not leasing in general.
I can pull up literally dozens of old threads where you tell people how great of an idea it is to buy a used 460, how reliable they are and even how mileage is not a factor because they are so well built, and now you are completely contradicting yourself.

it seems like in your case this forum is more about you and your ego then it is about cars.

This is yet another thread that's been derailed off topic because of your need to be right all the time.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 05-19-17 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 03:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The LS is a very reliable car, and mileage isn't as big as issue in this car as it is in other cars, but I still wouldn't buy an old one, nor do I think it's a good idea for somebody to buy an one and finance it if they don't have the right expectations and the ability to deal with the repairs that come from owning an older car that was originally this expensive. That opinion was not the point of what I posted though.

I also don't recall ever saying buying an old LS460 is a great idea. I don't think it is. Buying one 3-4 years old sure, I would not buy one older than that though. Only time I might is if I could pay cash, and if I wasn't going to put a lot of miles on it. I don't think it's a good idea to be making payments on something with 100k miles though.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-19-17 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-19-17, 03:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Anyways, ricknchar have you bought the car yet?
Old 05-20-17, 08:55 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Please don't. We're all smart enough to make our own financial decisions. Any thread that discusses a lease always descends into people trying to preach to those of us who lease how wrong we are.

Nobody asked whether leasing was smart, all he did was ask if that particular deal was a good deal or not. You make decisions for you, we can make decisions for us.

Sorry to snap at you but it's really a huge problem here and it's annoying as hell.
Ahhh, sorry you didn't finish reading my statement. I said it's only my opinion. So, I shouldn't voice my opinion, only you can do that? Nice forum. I'll say it again, I would never fleece a car. Over and out.
The following users liked this post:
1WILLY1 (05-22-17)
Old 05-20-17, 09:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by R Z
Ahhh, sorry you didn't finish reading my statement. I said it's only my opinion. So, I shouldn't voice my opinion, only you can do that? Nice forum. I'll say it again, I would never fleece a car. Over and out.
As I said before, do you think I would get a reaction from people if I posted in a thread where somebody is buying a 9-10 year old LS460 asking about pricing, and off topic said "I think it's silly to do that, you should just buy a Camry or something". That's just my opinion right? I actually do have that opinion, but posting it out of topic would be rude and I don't.

He asked about that particular lease deal, and if you read what I told him I told him that wasn't a good deal. He did not ask for an opinion on leasing in general.

The issue is it's not "just a friendly opinion", your use of the term "fleece" is derogatory. I lease, and I don't get "fleeced" thank you very much.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-20-17 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-21-17, 02:07 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I too fall in the camp against leasing the 2014 and selling your 600 outright and using the proceeds as a downpayment on that quite special 460 that you are looking at. I do hope you get that 460 regardless as I would love to see some pictures of it as it appears to be a hell of a car.
Old 05-21-17, 09:36 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
I too fall in the camp against leasing the 2014 and selling your 600 outright and using the proceeds as a downpayment on that quite special 460 that you are looking at. I do hope you get that 460 regardless as I would love to see some pictures of it as it appears to be a hell of a car.
down payments don't make any sense on leases unless there is something different about leasing a used car I wouldn't do it.
Old 05-21-17, 10:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's what he's saying, use the 600 as a downpayment to buy the 2014.
Old 05-21-17, 10:55 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

To update everyone on my status, I have not pulled the trigger yet on the "Unicorn" 2014 LS460L. I certainly appreciate everyone's point of view, and I recognize that finding this particular car with all Lexus options, and only 6K miles, in a good color scheme, is certainly unusual. If I was hard-core looking for a new LS460 right now, there's no question that I'd immediately jump on this deal.

I actually just stumbled onto the deal by my random surfing of AutoTrader (a very dangerous habit!), and I'm still trying to wrap my head around whether now is the right time to jump out of my 2008 LS600hL. As I mentioned earlier, I bought the Extended CPO warranty on the 600 when I bought it 3 years ago, and I'm fully covered for another 3 years/44K miles. I still love the car, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it today. I really had fully intended to keep it for the full 6 years of warranty coverage.

So I'm kind of just taking my time on this deal right now, letting the idea grow on me. I know I am running the risk someone else will ****** up this "unicorn" while I'm stewing, and if that happens, so be it. I really don't feel like the price is anything special -- but the car is unique, and it will probably sell. I told the McGrath salesman I wasn't ready to pull the trigger yet (at $62,500), and that I thought the right price for the car was closer to $56-58K. I thought this might stimulate further negotiations/price reductions, but so far no luck. If McGrath calls back tomorrow (or next week, or next month) and says the car hasn't sold, and that they'd take $58K (or less), I'd probably be more motivated.

Thanks again for all the thoughts/opinions! If anyone else on the forum is considering buying this amazing car, don't hesitate waiting on me to make a decision - go for it!
Old 05-23-17, 06:14 AM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If this LS460L http://www.mcgrathlexusofchicago.com...-IL/2981763183 had a black exterior, I'd be considering a trip to Chicago.
Old 05-23-17, 07:43 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

So I just spoke with McGrath Lexus again to see if we could move closer to a deal on the low-mileage LS460L, and I learned that the car sold to a buyer in Phoenix AZ on Saturday (for full asking price). I knew that was a risk, and in some ways I'm actually relieved. I snoozed, and I "losed..."

I do see very nice new 2014 LS460Ls popping up every day, though (mostly coming off lease, I believe), and I'll keep my eyes open for bargains.

Thanks to all for their thoughts/opinions!
Old 05-23-17, 09:16 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

As I said before, do you think I would get a reaction from people if I posted in a thread where somebody is buying a 9-10 year old LS460 asking about pricing, and off topic said "I think it's silly to do that, you should just buy a Camry or something". That's just my opinion right? I actually do have that opinion, but posting it out of topic would be rude and I don't.

He asked about that particular lease deal, and if you read what I told him I told him that wasn't a good deal. He did not ask for an opinion on leasing in general.

The issue is it's not "just a friendly opinion", your use of the term "fleece" is derogatory. I lease, and I don't get "fleeced" thank you very much.
Again this is my opinion. I don't think it's wrong if someone posts on here about an old car and you recommend a Camry. You don't think people come on here looking at all options? If they don't want to hear all answers, they best stay away from forums. And yes the term fleece is from Dave Ramsey. I agree with him, which as my opinion, I see no harm in offering the comment when someone mentions leasing a used car no matter what. I just happen to find a lease derogatory. I've had one once and it too was a write off, a very expensive write off that left me with nothing. I have no issues with us disagreeing. That's part of being a member of anything internet related. I never intended to change yours or anyone's mind because I know that can't be done. But offering all sides of a conversation shouldn't be an issue even though you don't agree.
Old 05-23-17, 09:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I had a feeling the car would sell...

RZ, it's condescending and it's rude. Those of us who do lease can make our own financial decisions, and it's not fair to make every thread that discusses a lease deal or how to negotiate a lease deal become a back and forth about whether leasing is a ripoff or not. It's not just this thread, it's EVERY time it comes up and it's tiresome. Not sure why that's so hard to understand.

If it's a thread about "leasing vs buying" or "should I lease or buy" that's a different thing. But somebody posts and says "is this a good lease deal" or "how should I negotiate this lease deal" and people post this stuff off topic and it totally derails the thread.
Old 05-23-17, 11:47 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
I'm not one to do a lease or what I affectionately call a fleece. You have nothing to show when you've made your last payment, if you go over your miles you pay more, and if you damage the car you pay to repair. Still all that money spent and nothing to show at the end of the term. With a purchased LS you have two options: 1. You can pay it off and use it on trade on your next vehicle or 2. Keep the car and enjoy life without a car payment.

That's just my opinion.
Yes, that's your opinion, but you are making a lot of assumptions to make a blanket statement like that. Some of us don't want to drive a car past 3 years or even 6. You are being insulting with these types of blanket statements and I'll tell you why:

The difference between my opinion and your opinion is that I did the homework and I know whats best for my situation, but I don't assume its the best for others. You, on the other hand, assume that what's best for you is best for everyone else. Sorry, that kind of hubris is reserved for the truly self-centered.
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (05-23-17)
Old 05-23-17, 12:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ragingf80
Yes, that's your opinion, but you are making a lot of assumptions to make a blanket statement like that. Some of us don't want to drive a car past 3 years or even 6. You are being insulting with these types of blanket statements and I'll tell you why:

The difference between my opinion and your opinion is that I did the homework and I know whats best for my situation, but I don't assume its the best for others. You, on the other hand, assume that what's best for you is best for everyone else. Sorry, that kind of hubris is reserved for the truly self-centered.
Exactly, which is why it would be rude to subject people shopping for these cars when they're older and comparing prices and getting advice on that subject to my opinion that I wouldn't buy a car that old for that much money. My value judgements aren't their value judgements, and its off topic.

Quick Reply: 2014 LS460L Lease?