LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is the LS your Beater or your Pride and Joy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-17, 08:53 PM
mattchk
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

My 430 is my "go to" car on miles, for sure. My current 460 is my pride and joy, hands down.
Old 05-27-17, 08:15 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
On the positive side, the person may be a like-minded individual wishing to protect their car on their driver's side by using up the space you gave biasing your car over to the right. It is hard to tell. To prevent any doubt, in this type of situation I usually very carefully drive the right side tires up on top of the curb, so the right side of the car is atop the curb. Have to be very careful of front bumper lower corner scrapes when doing this. My Wife thinks I'm insane when I do this, BTW.

Yes, you are insane.... lol. Definitely don't plan on driving my car up on any curbs.
Old 05-27-17, 10:40 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Slowly, gently driving on the curb - and only if it is low enough to clear the front corner air deflector. Yes, I have done that.
Old 05-28-17, 11:31 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
Slowly, gently driving on the curb - and only if it is low enough to clear the front corner air deflector. Yes, I have done that.
is this a joke?
Old 05-31-17, 09:30 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

ive been an LS guy for many years and eventually, a 460 owner when i find the right one. (still driving a 400 and dont want the 430) since i work at a large dealership in a big city with tons of traffic, as well as affluent folks, i see plenty of 460s come through my service drive. avg of 10-12 a day. very common cars here. however 99% of the examples i see are still pretty clean, however some of the early ones are getting a little road rash just due to being on the road for a decade. the 1st gen 460s have held up unsurprisingly well, because well, the LS has been a solid car since day one. however most of the 400s i see today are in pretty terrible condition cosmetically being that they are all extremely old cars but still run okay. what is surprisingly unlike the 400 and the 460, the 430 has not aged well and im seeing more and more fugly examples (15 year rule i call it). once a car hits 15 years old it puts it in the sub $5000 range which leaves it vulnerable to kids hacking them up, racing/drifting/hooning them, people buying them just as cheap throwaway transportation while in between newer cars, or the folks that can afford to buy the car so they can look like a bigshot driving it around but cant afford to fix it when something goes. most cars at 15 are at owner #4 which is the final owner alot of the time. but owner #3 is the one that typically begins to neglect the car when it hits the $8-6500 range at around 10-12 years old, which the early 460s have the bulls eye on currently. im starting to see plenty of sub $10k 460s ($10k is a price most folks will still take care of a car at, cause 10 grand isnt 5 grand.) the 400s reached the sub $5k mark a decade ago and the 430s are hitting that now, which kind of explains why im seeing abused ones now.

ive seen plenty of "well loved" 07-09 460s but not bombed out trashed hooptie ones yet, however, i have seen two of them. the first was ironically a 2008 Ls600hL, pearl white, dented fenders, cracked windshield, ripped seats, FILTHY dirty, honestly i thought the car was grey, with just about every warning light the car has illuminated on the dash, that someone bought at an auction. and what was sad is that i could tell the damage was recent and was prob well cared for up to a year or two before. the other was a 2007 black/tan Ls460L that again, crunched fenders, paint was so bad it looked like it was in a fire, the rims had so much brake dust on them they looked black, tires were balled, rear passanger window had been jammed halfway open for god knows how long and the interior was filthy, ripped seats, smelled like feet and had moldy garbage in the back seat as well as all over the front floorboards. the glovebox door was missing, it looked like someone punched the navi screen cause it was spider cracked but somehow still functional, tape on one of the tail lights, it was loud, it was running rich, and the only thing stopping the car were the stumps of what used to be the break pads. half the badging off the trunk was missing, it had an overheating problem and the passanger floorboard had several jugs of anti-freeze full of water sitting there. chrome trim was ripped off the drivers side. even the key fob was damaged and was taped together. it had a total of 215k on it and sadly at the end of its lifespan simply due to neglect. it was truly a sorry sight. and what was especially sad about that one is that it was an executive package car, and that it wasnt recent abuse, i could tell this one had a very hard life for atleast half of its lifetime. it was absolutley TRASHED. just sad thinking someone would neglect and abuse such a beautiful car, and honestly, it pisses me off. but like i said, very rare to see that, but oddly enough its the higher end models that really get beat on which is kind of surprising to me as i would more expect cheaper SWB base models to see more of this kind of mistreatment. those two are extremes but i know as they continue to age and depreciate ill be seeing more really decrepit ones soon.